Russo, Picone, Pittari (lipari)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Russo, Picone, Pittari (lipari)

Post by PurrfectMeow »

My great great grandparents were Bartolo Picone born February 10,1856 In Lipari and Nunziata Pittari born about 1856 (probably Lipari too?), Bartolo's parents were Giovanni Maria Picone born about 1826 and Maria Russo born about 1828. Nunziata's parents were Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo (not sure birth year for either of them). If anyone has any info that would help it would be much appreciated. I think the Russo women might be sisters so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up the same parents for them lol. I've tried looking through the records on my own but I'm pretty bad at deciphering them.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Russo, Picone, Pittari (lipari)

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have this birth record for Bartolo Picone from Lipari?

Dated 10 February 1856
Appearing before the official in Lipari was Giovan Maria Picone, age 30, farmer residing in Lipari, to present a male child he declared was born to Maria Russo, age 28, residing with him, his legitimate wife.
Born today, 10 February of the current year at 7 AM at home.
Child was given the name BARTOLO
Baptized the same day.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Link to birth record of Nunziata Pittari

Dated 5 March 1856 in Lipari
Before the official appeared Antonino Pittari, age 50 [born about 1806], farmer residing in Lipari, to present a female child who he presented and declared was born to Giuseppa Russo, age 45 [born about 1811], his legitimate wife residing with him, today, 5 March, at 7 AM at home.
Child was given the name Nunziata.
Baptized same day.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Birth of Giovan Maria Picone in Lipari in 1825

Record #78
Dated 5 March 1825 in Lipari
Appearing before the official was Antonino Picone, age 26 or 36, farmer residing at Contrada il Pianoconte, to present a male child who he declared was born to Marianna Ortado(?), age 20, residing with him, his legitimate wife. Child born on 4 March at 10 PM
And given the name Giovan Maria.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The birth record for Giovan Maria Picone puts his father's birth about 1799 (or 1789 if the age is 36); and mother's birth about 1805...

T.
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

Thanks. I did have his birth record (another helpful person helped me find it on here months ago). Giovan's was a nice addition. How do you find these? I would like to find more, or at least the records for the Russo women. However none of it comes up when I search on that site (which I have to use google translate to navigate, then copy link because it won't work in google translate, then search. etc)

I took a dna test recently and it gave me a 4th cousin match, who had a Giuseppa Russo in their tree. However it seems to be a different Giuseppa then the one you found. They have this Giuseppa listed as being born in 1761 and dying on feb 13, 1843 in Lipari, Sicily, Italy. She is listed as being married to a salvatore Iacono with a son Franceso. This Giuseppa seems too old to possibly be my Giuseppa's mother, however being that my Giuseppa was 45 when giving birth who knows, maybe they just had really excellent fertility. I would like to find the exact relation between me and this person, I realize that may be virtually impossible to do however.

Could this be my Giuseppa? Location is off. but perhaps they moved?
Giuseppe Russo
Padre : Michele Russo
Madre : Angela Maria Garofalo
Apri
Comune/Località : Quartiere San Ferdinando, Napoli, Napoli, Italia
Data : 20 Dec 1821
Tipologia di Atto : Nascite

There is also a Maria Russo listed as being born near the same locale, however age seems off:
Maria Russo
Padre : Giovanni Russo
Madre : Carolina Prinzo
Apri
Comune/Località : Quartiere Montecalvario, Napoli, Napoli, Italia
Data : 28 Feb 1825
Tipologia di Atto : Nascite

Not sure how to determine if those are my relatives or people with the same name.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PurrfectMeow wrote:Thanks. I did have his birth record (another helpful person helped me find it on here months ago). Giovan's was a nice addition. How do you find these? I would like to find more, or at least the records for the Russo women. However none of it comes up when I search on that site (which I have to use google translate to navigate, then copy link because it won't work in google translate, then search. etc)
You can use the links I have posted to search the records, but they ARE in Italian...

I do not know if the birth records you posted for Giuseppa and Maria Russo are related to you.
You will need to determine the names of parents to make the connection to each other...

Here is the marriage record for Giovan Maria Picone’s parents.

It identifies THEIR parents which will help you to identify any birth records you might find for them…
Antonino Picone's father was Giammaria Picone, and his mother was Grazia Paino.
Marianna Ortato's father was deceased Antonino Ortato, and her mother was Marianna Lauria.

Dated 24 April 1824 at 3 PM in Lipari
Appearing before the official was
Antonino Picone, age 25, born in Lipari, a farmer residing on Contrada Pianoconte; son of Giammaria, a farmer residing there; and of Grazia Paino residing there.
AND
Marianna Ortato, age 20, born in Lipari, residing in San Pietra; daughter of deceased Antonino, and of Marianna Lauria.

Marriage in the parish church took place on 2 May of the same year.

**** I will try to locate a marriage record for each of the Russo women to see if we can establish the names of their parents. :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

AND...

Marriage of Giovan Maria Picone and Maria Russo in 1846 in Lipari

Dated 11 July 1846 at 4 Pm in Lipari
Before the official appeared
Giovan Maria Picone, age 21, born in Lipari, farmer residing in Lipari, son of Antonino, farmer residing in Lipari, and of Marianna Ortado residing there.
AND
Maria Russo, age 31, born in Lipari, residing there, daughter of deceased Giovanni, and of deceased Concetta La Greca.

The church celebration took place at the parish church on 19 July 1846.

If we can locate Giuseppa's marriage we can look to see if they have the same parents listed :-)
The records we have here point to Giuseppa's birthdate being about 1811, and Maria's birthdate being about 1815. Online birth records for Lipari begin with 1820... so Giuseppa's marriage record would be the way to go right now. :-)
T.
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

Thank you. Trying to find Giuseppa's again now. They say most aren't indexed and it looks like its not. I don't suppose anyone knows a way to auto translate images lol. Guess I just have to figure out where the couples name is normally listed in the marriages and go from there.
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

I haven't gotten far enough on translating yet to find where the ages are. However these two records contradict each other:

Dated 10 February 1856
Appearing before the official in Lipari was Giovan Maria Picone, age 30, farmer residing in Lipari, to present a male child he declared was born to Maria Russo, age 28, residing with him, his legitimate wife.
Born today, 10 February of the current year at 7 AM at home.
Child was given the name BARTOLO
Baptized the same day.

and

Marriage of Giovan Maria Picone and Maria Russo in 1846 in Lipari

Dated 11 July 1846 at 4 Pm in Lipari
Before the official appeared
Giovan Maria Picone, age 21, born in Lipari, farmer residing in Lipari, son of Antonino, farmer residing in Lipari, and of Marianna Ortado residing there.
AND
Maria Russo, age 31, born in Lipari, residing there, daughter of deceased Giovanni, and of deceased Concetta La Greca.

Maria couldn't have gotten 3 years younger in 1856 then she was in 1846. You did post the dates right, did you typo on an age somewhere, or is there an error in the records?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

A little help for you for Italian records click on the prompts

PG LINK MARRIAGE
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... anslations

PG LINK BIRTH
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... Record.jpg

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... phrases/19

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

She did transcribe the ages correctly. Errors in ages in records are very common. You'll also see the universal practice of people's year of birth becoming later as they get older. Marriage records are generally more reliable since in order to get married copies of the bride and groom's birth records had to be submitted.
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

Hi. Had a break through in non Italian line so took a break with this for a while. Just noticed I never replied before and wanted to say thanks for all the help Tessa and the links to learn too Adelfio. And the information on ages carubia, never would've thought that. Guess they didn't like getting older anymore then we did lol.

I've been looking for Giuseppa's marriage record since last night, no luck as of yet, but I did get lucky and find another ancestors marriage record as I was looking. Cannot make out parents names in it though so may post it here if in translation forum. The great thing is all of my italian great grrandparents except for one were born in Lipari and their parents, etc seemed to not move much, so most of my italian research is in the same place.