re:birth record in sanfilippo del mela messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re:birth record in sanfilippo del mela messina

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i'm trying to find a birth record for mattia puleio,wife of domenico bonarrigo.her birth year varies.in early1845 when she married in santa lucia del mela,she gave her age as 26(ca.1818)but at the births of son francesco in late 1845 as well,she says 20(ca.1825)and in late 1847 at the birth of daughter maria she states 22(ca.1825).so thats leaves 1818-1825.also,there are no civil records available for san filippo before 1834.from 1820 to 1834 it appears san filippo was part of santa lucia,and records were kept there.i checked the www.antenati@beniculturali.it site and found nothing ca.1820-1825.this means she could have been born ca.1818-1819 and found under the parish records,as civil records in sicily didnt begin until 1820.but i wrote to the parish overseeing san filippo ca.1818 and nothing was found.any suggestions as to how to proceed next would be appreciated.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: re:birth record in sanfilippo del mela messina

Post by carubia »

Marriage records are usually more accurate than birth records, and people tend to underestimate their own age as they get older, so it seems that 1818-1819 is more likely. Plus you've searched Antenati already. Maybe the parish's search wasn't thorough enough.

In western Sicily the name is spelled Puleo, without the "i", but it can sometimes be confused with Leo, Di Leo, Aleo, etc.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

it appears to be spelled puleio.this is eastern sicily-messina.i'm going more by the births of the 2 children,as theyre consistent and give an approximate birth year of 1825.also,the husband,dominico,according to the marriage record,as well as the births of the children,was born ca.1820-but i wrote to the state archive in reggio calabria.it turns out he was born in 1818.none of these ages given,in any record,appear accurate,which is why i prefer to search them out directly.i was hoping mattia was born 1820-1825 as if she were born prior there is no way for me to consult the parish record.and the parish states no birth record was found ca.1818 in san filippo.mattia was born of ignoto padre and her mother was carmela rigulo(puleio ?)according to the marriage,so i noted both spoellings in my search/request.oddly enough,she uses rigulo in her 1o845 marriage record,bonarrigo at the birth of 1st child domenico the same year(women never used the husbands name to my knowledge in italy and kept the maiden name throughout life)and finally used puleio at the birth of daughter maria in 1847.confusing to say the least!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The name is not necessarily what she "used," but rather what the official wrote down was reported. Either the person reporting the birth or the official recording it could've made a mistake. Aside from the single birth record that has her name as Puleio, is there any other record for her with that surname?
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

not that i know of.possibly puleio was the name of the birth father? or maybe carmela rigulo was carmela puleio?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Puleio surname is well documented in eastern Sicily in the Messina area. Peter
~Peter~
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

not nearly as much as bonarrigo.bonarrigo is the sicilan smith or jones.it dwarfs puleio ion popularity.but its relatively common.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

It sounds like her name on her birth (or baptismal) record was more likely Rigulo then, although it's possible she or her mother went by both surnames. Also, with regard to the spelling of Puleio, the point I was actually trying to make is that it could appear in other records very differently, such as as Di Leo, so that you may have missed it when you searched the birth records.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thats possible.i was going by rigulo or puleio=specifically rigulo as thats the name she gave on her marriage record.theres no other way to know.otherwise you'd have to go through every birth record that could remotely be her.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

One other possibility: I haven't seen the records from that comune, but in other comuni from that time period (1820s), I've seen children listed on their birth records with no surname because the father was unknown, even though the mother was known and her complete name appeared on the record.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

NO IDEA.I THINK I'VE DONE ALL I CAN DO.SO MANY DEADENDS IN THIS ITALIAN GENEALOGY OF MINE.CAN'T FIND THIS RECORD.CAN'T FIND FRANCESCO LANDINO'S DEATH RECORD(HUSBAND OF HER DAUGHTER MARIA BONARRIGO.HE DIED AFTER 1902 AND NO IDEA IN WHAT COMUNE OR WHEN)CAN'T FIND THE DEATH RECORD OF MATTIA PULEIO OR HER HUSBAND DOMENICO BONARRIGO(POSSIBLY IN GUALTIERI SICAMINO BUT NOT SURE-AND ANYTIME FROM 1847 ON) AND CAN'T FIND THE DEATH RECORD OF ROSA MARTINO IN LUOGOSANO AVELLINO AS THE VERY YEARS WHEN HER DEATH MOST LIKELY TOOK PLACE-1862-1865-ARE MISSING FROM BOTH THE CIVIL REGISTERS,THE STATE ARCHIVES,AND THE PARISH RECORDS! MAKES ME APPRECIATE MY VIRTUALLY COMPLETE MATERNAL FRENCH CANADIAN ANCESTRY MORE EVERY DAY!!!