Adopted grandmother, surname Febbraio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
futo_ngbo

Adopted grandmother, surname Febbraio

Post by futo_ngbo »

Trying to find my grandmother's birth parents. She was an orphan, possibly in an orphanage in Locri.

The family that adopted her lived in Grotteria, Calabria. Her maiden name is Anna Febbraio.

I requested a copy of her birth certificate some years ago hoping it would list her birth parents but it didn't.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Adopted grandmother, surname Febbraio

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps reading about adoption in Italy might help you. Go to the top of this page where it says ARTICLES and it discusses tracing the Italian genealogy of adopted persons. Knowing more about the subject may help you in someway ascertain if its possible for you to obtain adoption records.

Peter
~Peter~
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi!
Was Febbraio the surname that is written on her birth certificate or the name of the family who adopted her? Febbraio is the kind of invented surname that in nineteenth century was given to foundlings. If so her birth certificate would read " genitori ignoti" unknown parents. If you have the full copy of her Atto di nascita you can know the name of the person who presented her to the officer of the comune but not much else. When and where was she born?
Ciao
paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Post the birth record for us to see

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

My grandmother was born on Feb. 11th 1927. I suspect the last name was given to her because of the month she was born in. My grandfather mentioned that my grandmother was born in Bruzzano Zeffirio, Calabria. I need to take a look through my files to find her birth certificate copy.
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

I have attached the birth certificate copy that I received in the mail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You have an "estratto per riassunto" of her birth record, you should ask for an "estratto per copia integrale" to solve the mystery.
In any case it is very likely that the surname February was given because she was born in February.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Just an FYI - the record states that she was born in Motticella, which is a hamlet of Bruzzano Zeffirio, RC

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/calabr ... cella.html

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48681494

http://maps.apocalx.net/municipalities- ... cella.html

However, you would still write to the Comune of Bruzzano Zeffirio to record requests :-)

T.
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

Thanks everyone! I will draft a letter and request the estratto per copia integrale. I'll let you know what I get back :)
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

So it's been a year and I haven't received anything back. I'm going to send the same letter again this week.

How long should I wait before sending another letter after I send this one? Is it normal to not hear back after a year?

My grandmother passed away this May. Would that have any kind of negative impact on my request?

Thank you,
Alyssa
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

Hi everyone,

I am providing an update on my grandmother. This past summer my mother and I went to the town where she was born (Motticella) as well as the town where the records are kept (Bruzzano Zeffirio), and asked directly in person to see her birth record. We were not permitted to have a photocopy of the original record but we were allowed to take a picture of it.

I also had the text translated. For those who may be interested in what it said:

Birth Record
No. Seven
Anna Rosa Febbraio

The year one thousand nine hundred twenty-seven, on the thirteenth day of February at 8:30, in the Town Hall. Before me, Mr. D'Agni Francesco, Mayor,

Official of the Civil State of Bruzzano (Motticella) appeared Ielo Giuseppa, aged sixty-six, housewife, residing in Motticella, who has declared that at 21:20 on the eleventh day of this month in the house located in Motticella, with no number, by a woman who does not want to be named

was born a baby of the female sex who she presented to me, and to whom was given the name of Anna Rosa, Surname: Febbraio

To all that is written above are give as witnesses: Speranza Giovanni, aged fifty-six, landowner, and Tedesco Rosa, aged forty, housewife, both residents in this town.

Said child was sent by me to the Orphanage of Gerace, by way of the informant, as per her duty with whom I send a copy of this document, so as to give to the Director of the Orphanage, together with the infant, and with the objects found with the same, which consist of a little white shirt, two little hats, one white and one coloured, a white diaper, a white sheet, and a changing table, all used.

Having read this to the intervening parties, and having signed this document only the witness, Speranza, with me, because the others have stated that they cannot read or write.

Giovanni Speranza

Official of the State
D'Agni F.

------------------------

We also went to the town of Gerace to see if they had any of the records from the orphanage and we were not able to find any. It was nice to learn a bit more about my grandmother's first few days in this world.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

The administration of the Gerace orphanage is in the archives of the Locri-Gerace diocese. If you want, I can see in 2 weeks what is in there about Anna Rosa Febbraio. I don't know if this thread is still alive, so to avoid searching for nothing, please give me a sign of life.
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

Hi! That would be great! Thank you so much!

We did visit Locri a few years back and went to the municipality but we were told by the employee there in Italian, "what do I care?". Anyway, you may have more success with the diocese. When we tried to visit the diocese in Locri, it was unfortunately closed and no one would answer the door.
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

Yes, I know the problem with the closed doors, but Don Antonio Finocchiaro, the director, has a lot of other functions and sometimes he has to leave unexpectedly for a funeral or something. Today he showed me what was there of the brefotrofio and if Anna Rosa was registered then there must be something there. I'm going there again in two weeks when I bring back 40 or so church registers that I will have digitized by then.
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

Amazing! We were there in the summer in late July / early August a few years ago, so I suspect many were already away on vacation.

I remember finally seeing her birth record in person at the municipality in Bruzzano Zeffirio. The only thing I could think of was how one fire or flood would easily destroy those physical paper records. You're doing great work helping to digitize. Thank you so much!