earrings on italian men, c1880

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

earrings on italian men, c1880

Post by joetucciarone »

My great-great-grandpa is wearing earrings in two photos from 1880-1897. He immigrated from Agnone (Campobasso) at the age of 35 in 1879. Does anyone know if this was simply fashion or something more significant. I have found some anecdotal material about earrings being worn by sailors and pirates but I haven't found anything that looks like the result of research (if earrings have ever been the subject of study!).

Why would an italian man from Agnone have been wearing earrings in 1875-1880?
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: earrings on italian men, c1880

Post by Anizio »

TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Thank you for pointing me to those discussions!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

dear Joe,
I read your topic,
but I am very busy in these days so I no had the free time for to reply you.. abt the man earrings.. in the old, very old past, I read that the earrings was used also from normal men and in all italian region, so it was no a molisian custom..
The explanation that I found is:
men no rich and travelling, and it was far from hometown, having fear that suddendly die and in a far place, distant from relatives that could arrange a funeral;
so the earrings was for to pay own funeral everywhere.. so if someone find the his body, removing earrings can pay the funeral and burial, and by his half no expenses, just christian charity of to manage the funeral...
And ditto also in the case that the man was no rich and no travelling much...
however the earrings was for to pay the own funeral normally...

they had always on the ears, and it was a little available capital... also in the case of bad time...
That is the explanation that i found... I don't believe that the man earrings was for vanity... I believe right that the earrings was a little reserve..
bye,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH