Military Records start year

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Military Records start year

Post by Anizio »

Just a simple (hopefully) question.

Italy was started as a country in 1871 and they had the draft immediately (for age 20 I think?)

So theoretically there should be a record of every male Italian starting with those born in 1851 or 1852 correct?

I'm just trying to figure out what years so I know which ancestors I can request documents for.

And would it be the same for all areas? Or do some provinces or regions have records for earlier? Or not until later?

Thanks!
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Military Records start year

Post by adelfio »

What province you researching? Take for instance province of Catania military records
The State Archives of Catania, with the section of Caltagirone, contains information about the history lists of individuals and families lived in the ancient territory of the province and municipalities. Sources include the historical period from 1820 to 1939 and can be traced to three main groups: marital status (from the Restoration period to the Italian state), the acts of the lever, the lever divided into lists of serial numbers and roles, acts that report data of young people called to visit military and later military service in the various army corps. At the institute, where the documents are freely available, there is a service for research on ancestors who works with users by mail. And 'possible to obtain copies of documents.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

for 1850 on, Roma, Frosinone, Pesaro e Urbino, and Como so far. So I guess it depends on the start years for those provinces.

I also know there are apparently records for fallen soldiers in Lazio during the Napoleonic Wars, but I'm not sure if there is more for the Napoleonic wars or the Risorgimento somewhere.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The funds of the State Archives in Rome: OFFICE OF LEVER Civitavecchia (classes 1850-1899); MILITARY DISTRICT OF ROME (classes 1923-1939), retain the levy lists of young people, born and living in the towns of the district, called the visit of the lever. For each member shows: maternity, paternity, residence, profession, somatic data and the outcome of the visit (skilled, reformed, delayed). The fund MILITARY DISTRICT OF Orvieto (which includes the municipalities of the province of Rieti) contains instead the roles serial numbers and alphabetical directories (classes 1859-1895), with notes on military service, the body of enrollment, the campaigns of the war until leave, there are also the roles of the militia of national security for the classes from 1881 to 1915. For those enrolled in the district of Rome (classes 1843-1939) the roles serial numbers are collected in MILITARY DISTRICT OF ROME. At the Central State Archives are documents related to the organization of the army. For the biographical significance are reported acts of military courts (1834-1999) and the bottom which collects books of the officers (1920-1970). The funds are subject to periodic increases

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

For those enrolled in the district of Rome (classes 1843-1939) the roles serial numbers are collected in MILITARY DISTRICT OF ROME
So where would I collect this information, and in Italian what would I be requesting?

Thanks for your answer, this is very helpful so far.