Family Crest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Family Crest

Post by conno11 »

Ok so I was wondering does every house have a Family Crest or a House Sigil or do the family crest go off the towns crest?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Family Crest

Post by Italysearcher »

Unless you are of the nobility and awarded a crest by the reigning monarch I don't think you are entitled to one. Sorry.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/article ... -genealogy
An excerpt.

In the middle of the twelfth century, during the Norman rule of much of Italy, coats of arms developed as distinctive insigna painted on the shields of knights and other nobleman. In combat, friend and foe could identify the fully armored knight, whose face was concealed by a helmet, according to the colorful design on his decorated shield. The same design appeared on his surcoat - hence the term "coat of arms." With time, the right to use certain (blazons), as well as feudal titles (i.e. count, baron, etc.), passed from father to son. Since these insigna and titles are incorporeal property of particular families, it is oblivious that unrelated families which by mere coincidence share their surnames (whether Ferrar, Rosso, Smith or Jones) cannot claim these coats of arms or titles of nobility as their own. To do so would like Mr. Johnson of Wales claiming the estate of the late Mr. Johnson of New York simply because he happens to have the same surname.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
k9obsessed

Post by k9obsessed »

Most Italian emigrants were not 'gentry' and had no family crest. The more affluent, and those who were nobility, had little reason to leave.
Michele Ferrantino
Researching surnames :
Ferrandina; Dianora, DeCicco, DiPrimo from Pomarico, MT
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

More information here...
http://www.blazonsearch.com/faq.php

T.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Even if your name had a crest, you'd have to make sure it was actually YOUR family of that name, remembering that many names arose in separate places independently Ie. the Last name Carlucci has many completely unrelated branches in different parts of Italy.

So the only way to know would be to trace an actual ancestor back to nobility.

That being said most people are descended from "slaves and kings," meaning somewhere down the line you will find noble ancestors I'm sure
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

Sweet thanks I was just wondering if every feudal family had one or not :)
sprekopa

Post by sprekopa »

My great grandfather was a baron in the mid 1800's. How do I search for my family crest?