Salvatore Provenzano marriage to Maria (Virzi or Caruso)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Salvatore Provenzano marriage to Maria (Virzi or Caruso)

Post by pdchenderson13 »

Evening, Buona sera!

I am searching for the marriage (second marriage for both) between Salvatore Provenzano and Maria Virzi (first married name was Caruso) Think it was around 1946-1949 in or around Canicatti provincia di Agrigento Sicilia.

Salvatore had been in America (Boston I think) and was widowed. He came back to Sicily for medical reasons and met and married my grandmother Maria.

I believe he died around 3 years later.

any pointers or clues would be amazing...Grazie mille!
Grazie Patrizia
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Provenzano marriage to Maria (Virzi or Caruso)

Post by PippoM »

If you know where and when Maria was born, I'd write to the Commune, requesting her "estrallo integrale dell'atto di nascita" (substantially, a copy of the original record). It should have a side annotation reporting her marriage(s)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

When was Salvatore born? There might be a notation in the margin of his birth record about his marriage(s), and that record might be online. Was he originally from Canicatti? You can also do the same check for Maria.

Images of Canicatti birth records between 1867 and 1912 are online. So are marriage records up to 1942. The online records are from the Agrigento courthouse (tribunale) and may contain less marginal info than the records at the comune.
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pdchenderson13 »

I have his birth certificate and I think the following is correct

Born - 12 February 1886
Father - Diego Provenzano and
Mother Alfonsa Napoli

Salvatore also lived in America (Boston I think) and regularly travelled to and from Sicily and USA. He was widowed, and returned to Sicily I think around 1946, and died in 1949. He married my Nonna Maria in that time.

Maria Virzi was born 1 January 1909 and there is nothing noted in the margin of that certificate. Born also in Canicatti.
BIrth Certificate Salvatore Provenzano 12.02.1886.jpg
maria Virzi birth certificate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grazie Patrizia