Wanted tombstone in Holy Cross Cemetary Filadelfia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ritacb

Wanted tombstone in Holy Cross Cemetary Filadelfia

Post by ritacb »

I'm looking for my great-grandfather Giuseppe Lalli died in 1945 and buried in Holy Cross Cemetery of Filadelfia. Can I know if there his tombstone? Thank you very much
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Wanted tombstone in Holy Cross Cemetary Filadelfia

Post by gallohjc »

If this is in fact your GGF I have a copy of his Death Certificate found on Ancestry.com. Buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Yeadon, Pennsylvania. Giuseppe/Joseph Lalli, born 12 December 1901 and died 20 July 1945. His residence was 6038 Haverford Ave., Philadelphia, PA. Father: Lorenzo Lalli and Mother: Grazia DiMaria (sp?) Wife: Addolorato, age 40. I can give you contact info for Holy Cross Cemetery.

Helen Gallo
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Sorry I answered too fast. Looks like Suanj answered all your questions.

Helen
ritacb

Post by ritacb »

Hi Helen,
yes he is. can you give me info on the grave?
Thank you
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Mailing address for Holy Cross Cemetery is P. O. Box 175 Lansdowne, Pennsylvania 19050
Telephone: 610-626-2206 Fax: 610-623-6247 - no E-Mail address noted on website. Your Grandfather was interred in Holy Cross Cemetery 23 July 1945. There is an E-Mail for the Philadelphia Archdiocese genealogy requests: vjohn@stonemor.com (Veronica Johnston). I'm sure one of them will be able to help you. I live several miles from the cemetery so if there is a headstone, I would be willing to photograph it for you. However, it would be a while since it's currently snowing here, more is expected and Spring is waiting in the wings.
Good luck in your search.

Helen
ritacb

Post by ritacb »

Hi Helen,
I have already written an email but I got no answer. I would be delighted if you could help me with the photo of the tomb. Anyway I'll let his data: Giuseppe Lalli born December 13, 1900 (or as written on the death certificate born on 12 Dec 1901) and died on 20 July 1945.
Thank you very much and we keep in touch.
michaeldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaeldi »

Hello Helen,

The poster contacted me by PM also requesting contact with Holy Cross. Like you, I live in the area. I do not want to duplicate efforts. I believe the person is writing from Italy so they cannot call the cemetery. If you are contacting the cemetery, I will not. Enjoy the snow!
ritacb

Post by ritacb »

good morning to all.
Yes I am Italian and I live in Italy so I haven't the ability to call the cemetery.
Thank you
michaeldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaeldi »

I called Holy Cross Cemetery & this is the information they supplied:

Joseph Lalli
Buried in Section 47, Range 7, Lot 38 Grave North

He is the only person in this grave. The owner of the grave is Biondina Gentile

She could not tell me if there is a tombstone is there.

I will not be able to get to the cemetery for several weeks with work etc. I am not sure if you can make it Helen or not.

Thanks
ritacb

Post by ritacb »

Thanks a lot, you have been very kind!
I would like to ask you some info:
- What means be OWNER of a grave,
- what means "she could not tell me if there is a tombstone"...she doesn' t know?
- if as in Italy, families must pay for the maintenance of the graves.
- if I can know from the documents of the cemetery who was Biondina (relative, friend).
No matter if I have to wait, if you can help me with a picture..I would be very Happy.
Thank you for all.
michaeldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaeldi »

Ciao, Come ti chiami?

From your post:
I would like to ask you some info:
- What means be OWNER of a grave,
Owner = Proprietario della tomba. Ususally it is a family member. I have seen people buried in graves owned by neighbors, friends, others.
- what means "she could not tell me if there is a tombstone"...she doesn' t know?
Yes, the office does not know which graves have tombstones. Someone has to go to the grave and look to see.
- if as in Italy, families must pay for the maintenance of the graves.
Many people did not have money to purchase grave stones in the past. It is very common to see graves without stones.It is different in American than Italy.
- if I can know from the documents of the cemetery who was Biondina (relative, friend).
No, the records do not say. I found her death certificate. Do any of the names sound familiar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Michael, you're great. When we get a break in the weather I'll go to the cemetery and check for headstone.

Helen
ritacb

Post by ritacb »

Good morning!
Michael and Helen, you'are great! Thank you very much for all!
I know the meaning of "owner" but I wanted to see if is the one who pays the grave, because we relatives should be the owners. I would not want that Biondina was the companion because her name I don't sound familiar.
I was wondering if as in Italy families must pay for the maintenance of the graves because in this way I could go back to someone still alive and find out more.
Thanks,
Rita.

Ps. Don't pay attention to errors...my English is very basic.
michaeldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaeldi »

Ciao Rita,

Non ti preocupare. Il tuo inglese e multo bene. Meglio che il mio italiano :)

Is it possible that Biondina was a cousin of your Giuseppe Lalli? If you look at the death certificate for Giuseppe the person who gave the information (Informant) was Biondina Gentile. In 1920 Biondina Di Maria (o) married Giuseppe Gentile in Philadelphia. Also on the death certificate of Giuseppe Lalli, it says his mother's name was Grazia Di Mario. So there must be a relationship. What part of Italy did your great-grandfather come from?

Helen - thanks for going to Holy Cross. It will be much easier now that the "big" snow storm has passed!

Michael
ritacb

Post by ritacb »

Good morning to everyone!

Michael, Can you help me understand how my great-grandfather died? Because on certificate of death is written "inquest pending".
I don't know if is possible that Biondina was a cousin but my great-grandfather was a native of Molise, precisely to Sessano and his mother was born in Chiauci and she had the same last name of Biondina.
If Biondina was a relative of my great-grandfather, this means that we have relatives in US! Can you help me find her son? To see if he is alive and can give me some info.

Helen, if you go to the cemetery, can you ask if Biondina has signed as a relative?

Thank you very much to both,
Rita.