Searching Ellis Island Database in one step Website problems

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Searching Ellis Island Database in one step Website problems

Post by rp76226 »

When using the Searching Ellis Island data base in one step website, I am able to get through the first few steps to obtain a list of names I requested. However, when I click on one name to see his shipping manifest document, I get an error message that I need to enter a valid user name and password on the search form, but hitting okay does not take me to such a page and I can't find such a page anywhere. I have gone directly to the Ellis Island website and signed in telling it to keep me logged in and that works. However, it does not resolve the problem with the Searching Ellis island data base website that is a more powerful tool to do a search. Any solutions? here is the link to the website I am talking about - http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Searching Ellis Island Database in one step Website prob

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

I have replicated the problem that you are having. It appears to be new. I suggest that you email Steven Morse about it by clicking on his name posted in red on any of the pages on which it appears. If the form doesn't work, then copy his email address into your email account. It may be that the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation is becoming more restrictive of search engines utilizing its data. I guess, as a workaround of sorts, you can do the Morse search to apply the filters, then use the summary data to execute a targeted search in Ellis. Not elegant, but something.
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Solved the problem. Right above where you click on "Search" at the bottom of the page, there's an Ellis Island identification section (think that it is new) where you can input your Ellis Island username and password. When you do that, you then can see the shipping manifest and/or passenger record.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

Funny, I tried that earlier (before my last post here)...didn't work. Instead, when I passed through to the Ellis site, it re-prompted me for name and password, then only allowed Ellis level of functionality. Go figure, but glad the problem's solved though!
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.