Help finding marriage and birth record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Help finding marriage and birth record

Post by Robin B Mc »

According to his children's birth records, my ancestor Agostino D'Amore was born in Sulmona, L'Aquila, Abruzzo. According to his Pennsylvania Death Certificate, he was born 13 Aug 1846.

However, looking in Italy, L'Aquila, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1809-1865, 1911-1943, there is no record of an Agostino D'Amore at all, let alone one born in 1846. I also tried looking at http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/ in case the FamilySearch.org records had a transcription error and equally couldn't find it. I think I looked at surround years too, in case the year cited in his death record was off.

So is it safe to assume he wasn't actually born there? And if not, how do I find where in all of Italy he was born? Is it a lost cause?

I also can't find his marriage record to Rosaria Potestio - I assumed they were married in Polizzi Generosa, Palermo because that's where not only Rosaria was born but it's also where their first child was born in 1887 (after that they moved to Pachino). So I looked for their married record in Italy, Palermo, Termini Imerese, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1862-1910 but again, couldn't find it. I think I looked in 1885, 1886, and 1887 but maybe I missed something? Where else might they have married? Is it possible they eloped?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Re: Help finding marriage and birth record

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

The birth record of Maria Rosaria D'Amore, born in Polizzi Generosa on 9 Oct 1887, says she was the daughter of Agostino D'Amore (residing in Sulmona, carabiniere) and of an "unmarried woman, neither relative nor in grade of affinity that preclude recognition". It means Maria Rosaria's parents were not married when she was born.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246902001
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

Interesting, thanks! I had found that record but I can only extract the date and names from it - I was wondering why it looked like her father was not the one who registered her birth, now I know! So it doesn't mention her mother's name anywhere? Maria's marriage record says her mother is Rosaria Potestio so I'm assuming that's correct.

After Maria, their next child was born in 1891 in Siracusa (I don't have anymore specific location than that but I assumed Pachino since that's where their later children were born). So there's a few possibilities I'm thinking of:

1. Agostino and Rosaria married after having Maria but before their next child was born in 1891 so I will look at Polizzi's marriage records after 1887 to see if they married there.

2. Agostino and Rosaria left Polizzi after the "scandal" of having a child out of wedlock and married in Pachino. I don't think records for pre-1900 of Pachino are available online so I'll have to order it on microfilm if i don't find it in Polizzi.

3. Agostino and Rosaria never actually married but moved to Pachino and told everyone they were married. Since no one knew them and no one knew they never married, no one questioned it.

Are any of these scenarios more or less likely than the others?

Lastly, I find it strange that it says Agostino was residing in Sulmona since that was very far away from Polizzi! According to family lore though, Agostino was in the military and stationed in Sicily. But if he were stationed at Polizzi, that wouldn't be considered his current residence? Or maybe he was stationed in Polizzi when Rosaria got pregnant and then was transferred to Sulmona by the time she gave birth? So many possibilities!

Anyway, I guess that means Agostino was not born in Sulmona after all so now I have no idea where he was born. I think if I can find his marriage record, that will tell me his birth place? But what if he and Rosaria never actually married?

Thanks in advance again.
Lwright70

Post by Lwright70 »

I'm in need of assistance as I know zero about trying to find my great grandfather's birth certificate! He was born 8.2.1890 in Sessa Auraunca. Name Carmine V G Palmieri. Any help to track down a certificate would be greatly appreciated. He came to UK in or around 1902 and stayed in the UK
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

Lwright70 wrote:I'm in need of assistance as I know zero about trying to find my great grandfather's birth certificate! He was born 8.2.1890 in Sessa Auraunca. Name Carmine V G Palmieri. Any help to track down a certificate would be greatly appreciated. He came to UK in or around 1902 and stayed in the UK
In the future, you'd be better off posting a new topic for this - but FamilySearch.org have civil records for Sessa Aurunca 1809-1929 on microfilm: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library (they also have some online but only marriage records from 1925-1929 and death records from 1923-1924).

Short term loans of microfilm cost $7.50. You will have to sign up for a free account at familysearch.org and select the nearest Family History Center to you. Once ordered, the microfilm will be shipped to the Family History Center you selected as your local and you go during their opening hours to view the microfilm and make copies. The film will remain at that FHC for 90 days from the day it shipped, or a guaranteed minimum of 60 days.

The records are in Italian though so brush up on some common words and phrases used in the records you'll be viewing.