Brig. Gen. Amedeo Liberati - WWII (Update)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Brig. Gen. Amedeo Liberati - WWII (Update)

Post by Liberati »

I am looking for information about Brig. Gen. Amadeo Liberati (a possible distant relative) who commanded the Grenadiers of Savoy division in Ethiopia during the early stages of Workd War II. He surrendered with his forces to the British in May 1941 and was likely a POW for the duration of the war. General Liberati survived the experience and settled in Rieti (possibly his hometown) after the war ended. I posted an inquiry on him roughly a year ago and got some good leads. However, I thought I would post a new topic on him in case any new information on him had surfaced. I would also appreciate advice on how to request records for General Liberati from the appropriate archives in Italy. Thanks in advance for your help!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Brig. Gen. Amedeo Liberati - WWII (Update)

Post by Anizio »

I suggest first contacting the Archivio di Stato for the province he was born in, or was in during the time of his enlistment, and asking where the WW2 military records are kept. Once you know where to ask for the records I, or someone else, can help you form a letter to get as much information as you can from them. Although, while State Archives are required as part of the job to help people with records, the military is not. So if the records have not yet gone from the military records office to the State Archives it can be harder to retrieve - that will depend on his year of birth although from the sounds of your description I'd bet they are in the Archivio di Stato of the province he's born in.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Thank you very much for your help! Can the inquiry to the state archives be handled via email or should I send a formal letter? Thanks again!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Liberati wrote:Thank you very much for your help! Can the inquiry to the state archives be handled via email or should I send a formal letter? Thanks again!
You need a birth town and a year of birth for that's how they class the military records by birth year

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Liberati wrote:Thank you very much for your help! Can the inquiry to the state archives be handled via email or should I send a formal letter? Thanks again!

It depends, try email first - most archives prefer this. If they don't answer after 6 months you can send a letter, in Italian. Ask for "ruoli matricolari."
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Thank you both for your help! General Liberati was born in 1883. I think he was born in Rieti, as that is where he returned after the war and he was quite active in the local community there. I think there is also a street named after him in that area. Anyways, is there a specific email address you would suggest sending the request? I saw an email address for general inquiries on their website, but didn't know if that would be the best point of contact. Also, how should I word the request? Thanks again for all of your help!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI RIETI
E-mail: as-ri@beniculturali.it

COMUNE DI RIETI
E-mail: demografici@comune.rieti.it

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Thanks, Marty! Can I just send the same message in Italian (with the names and vital stats changed of course) that you left for me on my Francesco Gulfo post? Thanks again!
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

If possible, could someone share with me what I should write (in Italian) to request the information discussed above for General Liberati? Thanks!