question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

question

Post by kgp70282 »

I am wondering how common were passports? I was wondering about finding copies for some of my ancestors..
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: question

Post by Anizio »

For what time period.

As far back as the early 1900s there were work books which contained a lot of information, not pictures though. Unfortunately if some descendant doesn't have it, it is probably lost or destroyed:
img027.jpg
img028.jpg
There should also be passports, and thus passport pictures, but the same issue - either a descendant has them or they were lost or destroyed.

There may also be something like this:
img001.jpg
In any event, the best (and I think maybe only) way to find such things is to hope relative descendants kept it and trying to ask them to scan it for you or allow you to do so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
JoelTheItalianGuy
Rookie
Rookie

A simple question about Italian passports

Post by JoelTheItalianGuy »

Someone on a genealogy forum has the passport for my Italian great-grandmother who arrived on a ship to NY on Sept. 1, 1906. Thus I know that the passport exists. I have already found the passenger documents, and their naturalization document. I would like the passport information as it has more information about her family - it has her parents. Does anyone know where there is an online database that I can search for this document or an index to which roll of microfilm somewhere - I think it's roll 36 in some database - anyone know if the rolls are online somewhere?

I am assuming that the passport was for the Italy to USA immigration and not vice-versa.

The person who has the passport is apparently not sharing the document with others so I don't want to ask them for it. I want to find it myself. Apparently, it was NOT destroyed by the 1908 earthquake and tsunami.

Any help appreciated.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I can't think of any source that would have copies of passports from Italy to America (or elsewhere). They wouldn't be with US record collections. Most likely the source was a scanned image of the original document, held by someone within the family.

One of my siblings has the passport that one of my GGFs used to come to America in 1895 from Ribera. It looked identical to the passport someone posted in this forum recently, for ancestors who came from Sciacca. (I'm not sure whether the passports looked the same because they were coming from the same area, or whether all Italian passports looked like that then.) It was just one page, with identifying info in the margin. I don't recall seeing his parents' names on it.
JoelTheItalianGuy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoelTheItalianGuy »

I'll have to look into it, they may have connections to the family, thanks