Searching for family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for family

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

Looking for information on family 'Serafini' emigrated around 1900 from Barga to Scotland (in and around the town of Falkirk).
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Searching for family

Post by Tessa78 »

Could this be related to the Serafini family that you are searching?
Grave in Boghead Cemetery, Bathgate West Lothian, Scotland...
Ages and spouses identified on the headstone.
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify...

Name: Olinto Serafini
Event Type: Burial
Event Place: Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland, United Kingdom
Cemetery: Boghead Cemetery
Death Date: 01 Jan 1958
Affiliate Image Identifier: 3501672
Latitude: 55.89851
Longitude: -3.65992
Affiliate Create Date: 2013-04-08 00:11:15

Name: John A. Serafini
Death Date: 30 Nov 1959
Affiliate Image Identifier: 3501673
Affiliate Create Date: 2013-04-08 00:11:16

Name: Joesph O. Serafini
Death Date: 18 Jan 1968
Affiliate Image Identifier: 3501674
Affiliate Create Date: 2013-04-08 00:11:16

T.
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

Tessa78 ...thank you ...yes, members of my family ...much appreciated. Elizabeth MAT
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thank you for the confirmation, Elizabeth :D

While searching through Barga records for birth of Olinto Serafini... I came across this POSSIBLE birth record for his wife, listed as Carminela Moscardini on the headstone. I cannot confirm this as the correct record as I do not know her year of birth.
Record (121) is for Carmela Maria Moscardini, born on 16 July 1880, to Giovanni, 47 yo farmer, and to Maria Domenica Pieri, his wife.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350066302

T.
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

Thank you, Tessa78 ...wow ...you really know what to do, I'm a complete beginner in this and just trying to find my way around. I think the Bathgate Olinto was my father's uncle ...just found my paternal grandparents names were Leopoldo and Rosa Serafini (nee Santi) who are buried in Falkirk. They had 8 children (a girl, Julia the eldest and seven boys, my father, Olinto, being the eldest of these). From my grandparents' death notices (1944 and 1949 respectively) I was able to find their parents who were Antonio and Carlotta Serafini (nee Bonella); Natalie and Cesira Santi (nee Togneri) ...both sets of great grandparents are listed as farmers but I don't know if they came to Scotland with Leopoldo and Rosa around 1900 or remained in Italy. Leopoldo was 69 when he died so must have been born in Italy around 1875 and Rosa was 73 when she died so her birth must be around 1876. That's what I've got so far. Again,thank you so much for your help. ElizabethMAT :D
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

Hi Tessa, I forgot to say that my father, Olinto, died in 1963 - Bo'ness Carriden records and was 64 so was born in Barga 1899-1900 I believe. As I said, I think Olinto in Bathgate was his uncle, but not sure of this. Don't know how many of the Serafini family immigrated to Scotland around 1900. Hope I haven't confused you too much. Have a good weekend. Elizabeth.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great information! :-)

Here is the birth record for Rosa Santi in 1876
Margin notation indicates that she celebrated marriage with Leopoldo Serafini in Barga on 27 November 1897.
AND... other notation is reference to a death record in Parte II, Serie C and appears to be dated 7 August 1950 (when it was recorded)

Birth Act #104

Dated 31 May 1876 at 8:46 AM a the town office in Barga
Before the official appeared Natale Santi, son of deceased Salvatore; age 37, landownr residing in Tiglio, to declare that at 11:50 AM on the 29th of the current month, at the place at Bacchionero #98, to Cesira Togneri, daughter of Clemente Togneri; wife [of Natale], landowner, residing with him, was born a female child who was not presented to the official, and was given the name Rosa, Maria, Diamante, Isola.
Witnesses to the recording of the record were Cristofano Marchi, 55, landowner; and Giuseppe Guidi, 45, domestic.
The declarant [Natale Santi] did not present the child because it was too far away.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350066302

Will look for the marriage record referenced in the margin notes :-)

EDIT TO ADD:

Act of marriage #45

Dated 27 November 1897 in Barga
Appearing before the official
1 - Leopoldo Serafini, single, 23, landowner residing in Tiglio, residing in that place; son of Antonio residing in Tiglio, and of deceased Carlotta Marchi who residing there.
AND
2 - Rosa Santi, single, 21, residing at home, born in Tiglio and residing same, daughter of Natale residing in Tiglio, and of deceased Cesira Togneri who resided there.
Witnesses: Giovanni Togneri, 39, farmer; and Giovanni Santi, 41, watchmaker.
Publication of the banns of marriage was on 14 November and 21 November of this year.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350067201

Here is your father's birth Act! :-)
Birth Act #183
Dated 12 October 1899 at the town office in Barga
Before the officia appeared Leopoldo Serafini, 25, landowner residing in Tiglio, to declare that at 6:05 PM on the 8th of the current month at the place in Fraia #93, to Rosa -daughter of Natale Santi - his wife, farmer, residing with him, was born a male child who was not presented to the official, and to whom was given the name OLINTO.
To the recording of this act were present: Silvio Giannini, 37, and Stefano Luccetta/Buccetta? 62. The child was not presented to the official because the distance was too far.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350066701

The child you called Julia, was born 24 May 1898 and was given the name SARA GIULIA :-)
Here is her birth act - #85 (top left)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350066701

T.
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

You are such an angel :D ...

I couldn't find any reference to Julia Robertson in the Falkirk/Stirlingshire death records no matter what I tried and realized her name must have been anglicized ...so your information is a wonderful help. I was able to find the death records of all my Dad''s brothers except for one and his name has probably been anglicized too, but I believe he was born in Scotland. I was so proud of myself in figuring out that another uncle, Charlie, was actually Milo, which I got from Rosa's death record. Except for Julia and my father, I think the other siblings were all born in Scotland.

I checked out the reference for Carmella that you listed but I have no Italian ...so an added complication for me. This makes the information you have sent just so much more valuable and helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I think that you are correct that Carmella is the wife of Olinto (Bathgate) since I remember, as a child, references to an Aunt Carmella in Bathgate.

Now I will have to find out exactly where Tiglio is ...I only ever heard the town of Barga mentioned and now I'm checking how far Tiglio is from Barga since the record states 'it was too far to bring the child'. It's simply amazing how one starts to build up a picture of the lives of one's ancestors. I'm so wishing I had asked a lot more questions when I was a child. My father died when I was sixteen and now with all his siblings deceased and I'm living in Canada, it is harder to track down information.

You have been an immense help ...I would never have reached this far so quickly on my own ...actually I wonder if I'd ever have gotten here without you with no Italian ...I'm thinking of enrolling in an Italian language course since I do so want to visit Italy. At the moment it's snowing here so the Mediterranean looks very appealing.

Thank you, Elizabeth
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello again, Elizabeth :-)

So glad that I could be of help to you.

First, let me explain about Tiglio....
It is a frazione (small village, hamlet) of the Comune of Barga. That is why you would find the records in the town of Barga.
It was a requirement that a birth be declared and the child be presented at the town office (Casa Comunale) so the official could "recognize" (see for verification) the child and record the birth. The small villages surrounding Barga might have been a distance that would be difficult to travel with a newborn, so the official would accept the father's declaration as true.

Next - here is a resource that will help you to understand the Italian Records. You might want to read through it and then go back to the records I have posted and see if you can understand them. If you need any help... just ask. I (or any of the volunteers at this forum) would be happy to answer your questions or make translations for you.
http://italiangenealogy.com/italian-records-extraction

T.
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

Tessa, thank you so much ...I'll check out the website you suggested. :) Elizabeth
Miller123

Post by Miller123 »

it is really good to see that this forum is helping peoples. i am really glad to see that every body is providing valid information. thumbs up for you guys
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching for family -Serafini

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

Hi ...I now have the birth records for six of the eight children of my grandparents, Leopoldo and Rosa (Santi) Serafini, from Barga/Tiglio but I cannot find Natalino (Nat) and Bruns Ermete (Bruno) Serafini. My understanding is that both were born in Italy before the family moved to Scotland around 1905/07. My father was born in Tiglio in 1899 and the two brothers were born after him. I also have Rosa's birth record but I am having trouble finding Leopoldo's (around 1873/4, I think). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Elizabeth MAT
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching for family - needing help with translation

Post by Elizabeth MAT »

I think I have found the death notification of my g-g-grandfather but I am having trouble with script and the translation. I would be most grateful if someone could kindly translate this for me so that I can determine if this is truly he. It is in the Barga, Lucca records for 1890, record #15 - Vincenzo Serafini died in Tiglio at Fraia 93. Also what does Fraia mean? Thank you so much.