Renewed Ronco Research (A little help please)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
icebsu

Renewed Ronco Research (A little help please)

Post by icebsu »

Hello everyone!

It has been a few years since I visited these forums as I found myself at a stopping point for my Italian Heritage and focused on other bloodlines from other countries.

However, I find my research in Italy renewed! My last thread was asking questions about my Great Grandfather Giovanni Ronco/a and with your help we had discovered that we believed he might have been from Salerno Commune versus being the Province. However, just recently I noticed something on his immigration records from Ellis Island. I was hoping that someone here could give me their opinion!

On this document from 1909, the very last entry on line 22 is meant to be a listing of the "Place of birth" broken down by Country and City. This line item lists more than Salerno. However, I'm having a hard time deciphering what it says.... it looks like "Caserta Csalto Salerno" to me. I also think I'm way of in left field too! Could someone please take a look and let me know what you think?

I'm hopeful that this will help me pinpoint where exactly he was from, so that I can begin to find records in FamilySearch.

Thank you in advance for your help!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/565 ... d_page.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Renewed Ronco Research (A little help please)

Post by suanj »

Hi I read
Line 21:
Birth province-Caserta
Birth place-Gallo (Gallo Matese)

Line 22:
Birth province- Salerno
Birth place... maybe Salerno town also
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
icebsu

Post by icebsu »

suanj wrote:Hi I read
Line 21:
Birth province-Caserta
Birth place-Gallo (Gallo Matese)

Line 22:
Birth province- Salerno
Birth place... maybe Salerno town also
suanj
Thanks for your feedback, Suanj! Now that you've provided your feedback I can see how these are 2 separate entries.

I was hoping that it was some sort of info I had overlooked previously.

Looks like I'm still going to be stuck, unless I'm mistaken, since Salerno town is not currently available in the records on Familysearch. There are many other communes listed but Salerno is not one of them.

Thanks again!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes no Salerno civil records on line.. as a well lacking the civil records of many communes in Salerno province... however are on line the LISTE DI LEVA ( military enrollment records) and no one Giovanni RONCO, but several Giovanni RONCA; born in Salerno:

Ronca

Nome: Giovanni

Classe: 1874

Comune di nascita: Salerno

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Carmine e Stanzione Domenica nato il 11/02/1874 a Salerno di professione Colono

Ronca

Classe: 1876

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Saverio e Gallo Rosolina nato il 01/09/1876 a Salerno di professione Colono

Ronca

Classe: 1877

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Raffaele e Ferraro Lucia nato il 05/04/1877 a Salerno di professione Colono

Ronca

Classe: 1880

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Carmine e Stanzione Domenica nato il 05/05/1880 a Salerno di professione Calzolaio

in italian Language....
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
icebsu

Post by icebsu »

suanj wrote:Yes no Salerno civil records on line.. as a well lacking the civil records of many communes in Salerno province... however are on line the LISTE DI LEVA ( military enrollment records) and no one Giovanni RONCO, but several Giovanni RONCA; born in Salerno:

Ronca

Classe: 1874

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Carmine e Stanzione Domenica nato il 11/02/1874 a Salerno di professione Colono

Ronca

Classe: 1876

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Saverio e Gallo Rosolina nato il 01/09/1876 a Salerno di professione Colono

Ronca

Classe: 1877

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Raffaele e Ferraro Lucia nato il 05/04/1877 a Salerno di professione Colono

Ronca

Classe: 1880

Full text:

Ronca Giovanni di Carmine e Stanzione Domenica nato il 05/05/1880 a Salerno di professione Calzolaio

in italian Language....
regards,
suanj
Thank you Suanj!! Can you please share with me the link to these records that you found.

The Giovanni Ronca with the birth of 5/5/1880 matches what information I have regarding his parents being a Carmine Ronca/o and Domenica Stanzione.

I find it interesting that there is another Giovanni Ronca/o with the same parents born 6 years earlier, in 1874. Is it pretty safe to say that this is an older brother of the same name?

Is there a way to find out more information on Carmine Ronca/o or Domenica Stanzione? I'm open to any suggestions since the Salerno records are not currently available online.

Thank you again for all of your help! You're wonderful!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I don't have further infos, it is just a database ..
http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... te-di-leva
suanj
PS:
-There cannot be two brothers both living and with the same name
-the same name may have two brothers of whom the oldest is already dead when the second born
- the only possible explanation that I can think is that 2 Carmine Roncas, cousins, married to 2 Domenica Stanzione, also cousins... and both had 1 son, one born in 1874 and one born in 1880... in effect a Carmine Stanzione is a tenant farmer, the second is a shoemaker...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
icebsu

Post by icebsu »

Thanks again, Suanj!

The second Giovanni is definitely the correct person. I know that my Gr. Grandfather was a shoemaker.

Is there any information floating somewhere that might suggest when Family Search might have records from Salerno available for research?

Thanks for all your help!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Salerno civil records don't was microfilmed...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
icebsu

Post by icebsu »

suanj wrote:Salerno civil records don't was microfilmed...
suanj
This makes me sad :(

Does anyone know if there is a plan for them to be microfilmed? Or are we going to be limited with writing letters directly to Salerno?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

if you wish the Birth certificate helpful for dual citizenship, you can write in Salerno

and here the emails ( email "Ufficio Stato Civile" or email "Archivio di Stato Civile e Certificazioni di stato civile"
http://www.comune.salerno.it/client/sch ... le=7&ti=53

Instead if you wish the copy of his original Birth act ( just for genealogy), you must write in Salerno archive, and to follow the instructions and the procedure to pay, you can write yo Dott.ssa Fernanda Maria Volpe, email here:
http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... 0/contatti

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
icebsu

Post by icebsu »

Thanks for this info, Suanj!