Searching for Capodanno family in Gaeta or Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
49_nhelmick

Searching for Capodanno family in Gaeta or Naples

Post by 49_nhelmick »

I am looking for birth information for my great grandparents. Erasmo Capodanno was born in 1854. So far as I know, his family was from Gaeta, but later lived in Naples. His father was Pietro Paolo Capodanno, his mother Rosaria Magliocca. In 1886 he married Francesca Caruso (b.1866) and they resettled in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1893 (although I believe he may have arrived alone in 1892 with his wife and children following in 1893). I am most specifically interested in the birth record for my grandmother, Rosa Capodanno, born in Naples on Jan 26, 1891. However, I would also like to find a marriage record for Erasmo Capodanno and Francesca Caruso in 1886, or a birth record for Francesca Caruso in 1866.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Nancy Helmick
nhelmick1@gmail.com
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Capodanno family in Gaeta or Naples

Post by Tessa78 »

Is this your Ersamo?
Arriving 1895 NYC
Destination - Boston

Name: Erasmo Capadanno
Arrival Date: 22 Apr 1895
Birth Date: abt 1858
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Olympia

ANOTHER TRIP in 1917 at age 58
Arriving Boston... He is listed as a US citizen
Destination - Somerville, MA

Name: Erasmo Capodanno
Ship Name: Canopic
Date of Arrival: 13 Feb 1917
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859

T.
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Searching for Capodanno family in Gaeta or Naples

Post by Robin B Mc »

49_nhelmick wrote: I am most specifically interested in the birth record for my grandmother, Rosa Capodanno, born in Naples on Jan 26, 1891. However, I would also like to find a marriage record for Erasmo Capodanno and Francesca Caruso in 1886, or a birth record for Francesca Caruso in 1866.
There's no online records for the city of Naples and microfilmed records for Naples only go up to 1865 so for all these post-1865 records, you'd have to contact the town and request them. Someone else might be able to help you with a letter in Italian asking for what you need.

But Erasmo and his wife were born before 1865 so their birth records might be easier to get a hold of. If they were born in Gaeta, you can order the records on microfilm here: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

If they were born in Naples: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library