atto di morte in messina province

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

atto di morte in messina province

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

is there anyone out there researching in the comunes of gualtieri sicamino, santa lucia del mela,or san filippo del mela in messina? looking for the death records of domenico bonarrigo and wife mattia puleio.they probably died in one of these comunes between 1852 and 1910.i went through some of these records on the antenati website as well as the lds online films.i couldnt find anything but several years were missing and many of the records aren't indexed.they married in soccorso(a frazioni of gualtieri)in 1845 and their last know child was born in 1852 when they would have been in their 30s.domenico was born in oppido mamertina calabria but mattia was from san filippo del mela which is very close to santa lucia delo mela and gualtieri sicamino. civil records for these comunes end around 1910 when they would have been around 90 if still living,which is unlikely,i figure this is the time period they died in.any help most appreciated.
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: atto di morte in messina province

Post by Robin B Mc »

Going through each record individually when there's so index is what separates the serious researchers from the amateurs. ;)

However, you can sometimes narrow down the parent's date of death by finding the marriages or death records of their children. If a parent was deceased at the time of the child's marriage, for example, it will typically mention this with a "fu" (late) before the parent's name. Then you know they died before that date, or after if there is no "fu". Additionally, if there's any processetti or allegati for the marriage when a parent was deceased, a copy of their death record will be in there. Have you looked for the children's marriage records yet?
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

Also, it looks to me like the online records for these communes only go up to 1865? I see the microfilm goes up to 1910 but it sounds like you've only looked online - or have you also ordered and gone through the microfilm? Because if not, that's really what you'll need to do - 1865 probably isn't late enough to find their death records, or even most of the children's marriage records (their eldest child would probably be less than 20 years old and there youngest would only be 13). If you're not finding anything in the online records, it's probably because they died after 1865.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

the http://www.antenati website goes up to 1865 and ends there.but the digitized records for these comunes is available at the lds site and they go from 1866 to 1910.no need to order films for this.i was a big film buff 10-15 years ago but i no longer do it.too expensive,unproductive,and boring.as this couple were born ca.1818 most likely they died before 1910.and the comunes i mentioned are where they married and had their children.so most likely this is where they died.
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

mezzogiorno62 wrote:the http://www.antenati website goes up to 1865 and ends there.but the digitized records for these comunes is available at the lds site and they go from 1866 to 1910.no need to order films for this.
Ah, I see, I was only looking at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1935770 and not also https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1887904 - didn't realize the years were split up.

Anyway, like I say, I would look for the marriage records of their children to see if either of them were deceased by those points. Either that or just keep plugging away at going through the individual records when there's no index. I am currently working on that with one my ancestors. She might have died anywhere in between 1827 and 1865. And most of the years aren't indexed. I'm currently up to 1840.
i was a big film buff 10-15 years ago but i no longer do it.too expensive,unproductive,and boring.as this couple were born ca.1818 most likely they died before 1910.and the comunes i mentioned are where they married and had their children.so most likely this is where they died.
Regardless, there's still a lot of undigitized records in my experience. Maybe not in this particular instance but in general, there's many collections I need records from which simply aren't available online but are available on microfilm, which is cheaper than ordering the record from an archive, society, or government organization. There are times when ordering a single record from an organization might cost $25... whereas I can get several records I'm looking for on the same microfilm for only $7.50. I have an entire branch from Monteroduni, Italy and there are no Monteroduni records online anywhere - not at "Antenati", not at FS.org, not at Ancestry.com. Microfilm has really been my only effective option since the only alternative would be to write letters to the commune in Italian, which would be difficult and take a much longer process.

And frankly, there are times when I prefer microfilm to online browsing. When looking through each individual record, I find it much faster to scroll through them on microfilm, quickly glancing at the name of the individual the record, than to have to click and wait for each image to load online. And I have super fast broadband - but I just find that FS.org's image viewer doesn't load very quickly and the scrolling/zooming functions aren't very efficient. I even prefer "Antenati" to FS.org in this regard, as long as the handwriting is large enough to read in the preview image because they load pretty fast (the full image, not so much).
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

truthfully i prefer microfilm myself.much better and faster to scroll than waiting for images to upload.but there are several reasons why this doesn't work for me as well as it did when i started out nearly 20 years ago.first,the films were only $3.25 per order.now theyre $7.50.second,when i started out i had lots of information to work with.so virtually every film i ordered yielded at least 1 or 2 records.well worth it.but over the years as i was able to find less and less and the well began to run dry,film research was no longer cost effective.when youre popping $3.25 per film and extracting 2 or 3 records per film that was fine.but,at $7.50 per film,it gets cost prohibitive to find nothing on a film as youre only working on guesswork and possibilities.plus good readers have become increasingly difficult to come by.the closest family history library was over 20 miles away,so i set up my local library as an affiliate.but their readers are problematic.1 is one of those new digital readers i can't get on board with-very confusing and too many settings.and the other doesn't allow the image to be enlarged like the old massive box type readers that the lds libraries used years ago.so although microfilm was a better option,it no longer is.this is why the online digital collection,for all its flaws,is the only logical way to go.what worked well 15 or 20 years ago no longer does.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Robin B Mc wrote:However, you can sometimes narrow down the parent's date of death by finding the marriages or death records of their children. If a parent was deceased at the time of the child's marriage, for example, it will typically mention this with a "fu" (late) before the parent's name. Then you know they died before that date, or after if there is no "fu".
A cautionary note: this rule works most of the time, but not always. In the Gioiosa Marea records, for example, one occasionally finds records where the "fu" was omitted in front of a deceased parent's name.

On the bright side, I have yet to encounter a record where "fu" was written in front of a living parent's name.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

VotM wrote:On the bright side, I have yet to encounter a record where "fu" was written in front of a living parent's name.
I have. But fortunately it is very rare.