Ancester went to SOUTH America by mistake

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ancester went to SOUTH America by mistake

Post by sisINlaw58 »

This is embarrassing! lol I will try it again....
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Here is military document I need translated (1 of 2). Hope I did this right!
http://postimg.org/image/hiuikzhxd/
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Here is 2nd military document I need translated:
http://postimg.org/image/c8pjtoxoh/
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Yes, we can see them now.
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Great! So glad you all can see the 2 documents. Grazie
DanceDiva234
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanceDiva234 »

Just to add my personal story, my grandfather had passengers that set off to Portugal and Argentina also. It is completely possible that he was headed for the region despite other relatives heading for America. My grandfather's family is also from Messina, Sicily.
Family names: D'Attellis, Angelicola, Iarezza, Messineo, La Monica, Spero, Angelini
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

DanceDiva234,
Interesting. I actually thought about that (Giuseppe planning all along to go to Argentina) to defy his parents! :) I have no idea how they found out he went to South instead of North. Family story: "His mother never spoke to him again." ??? So somehow they corresponded???
Did you find a ship record for your Argentinian ancestors? If so, how did you find it.
Thanks!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Here's a translation of the left hand column of the 1st page:
Carmelo Pistone

Son of Giuseppe [Pistone] and of Francesca Castiglia
born on 16 May [1888]
in Ali, Messina
Height: 1.66m
Chest: 0.835m
Hair: brown, straight
Eyes: blue
Complexion: tanned [lit. "brown"]
Teeth: ? [I'm not sure what it says about the condition of his teeth.]
Distinguishing marks: [It looks like either a "ditto" or it's blank; i.e., he had none.]
Profession: farmer
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Wonderful! Very interesting too! Can't wait for the translation of the other parts of the page (s).
Grazie Carubia!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Deeth healthy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Thanks Marty. I mean Grazie! I am anxiously awaiting translation of the rest of the document (s).
porlype

Post by porlype »

I'm Brazilian and I have no Italian ascendancy but I think this info is important:

I don't know if this applies to the creator of this thread, but this surely applies to other people looking for their relatives - most Italians who emigrated in the 19th and 20th centuries didn't have any "education degree". I mean they didn't even know how to write their names. So for example, an Italian arriving to the US. Since they didn't know how to write their names properly, the guy registering the names of these immigrants would write it the way he understood it. The problem is that the way this American guy understood the name of the Italians is not the same way the guy doing to same work in Argentina understood it and it's not the same way the guy in Brazil understood either. So, when looking for relatives, it's possible the orthography of your Italian surname is different in other parts of the world, if you consider that I'm pretty sure many people would find more relatives.

Just to clarify, I've heard this many times in Brazil, since Brazil is the country that received more Italians in the world, even more than US and Argentina. São Paulo (the biggest city in Brazil) is 60% Italian according to the last researches
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

I realize I am not the only non-Italian speaking person asking for translations of documents and I sincerely appreciate all the help. You folks are amazing! Please advise, have I asked too time consuming at task for translation of my 2 military documents back on May 13th? I got the translation of the first column (Grazie to Carubia and Adelfio!)

Thanks/Grazie!
sisINlaw58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sisINlaw58 »

Need help with contacting site/e mail address of eleanora.dellavalle@benicultruali.it..
I sent money (EU) to them back in April (4-22-15) via PayPal. Received notice today from PayPal that my money was returned. Reason; "eleanora.dellavalle@beniculturali.it did not sign up for a PayPal account or did not complete the registration process."

I need to tell them this fact but in Italian. Grazie!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

sisINlaw58 wrote:I realize I am not the only non-Italian speaking person asking for translations of documents and I sincerely appreciate all the help. You folks are amazing! Please advise, have I asked too time consuming at task for translation of my 2 military documents back on May 13th? I got the translation of the first column (Grazie to Carubia and Adelfio!)

Thanks/Grazie!
Carmelo Pistone enlisted in 1916
There was a declaration made in 1919 saying he wasn't a deserter

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty