help finding wwi italian military record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Marsbar723

help finding wwi italian military record

Post by Marsbar723 »

I am new to genealogy and would greatly appreciate help finding some information on my family. My greatgrandfather Giovanni Saggiani was born september 7 1895 in dolce, (Verona) Italy. He served in wwi, as did his brother who died in the war. Upon returning home from war almost all his family and village had died of influenza. I can find his nationalization records to the U.S. in 1920 but nothing from Italy or of his war service. Does anyone have any advise?
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: help finding wwi italian military record

Post by Bette »

Caterina05271899
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Caterina05271899 »

Hello,
You might try searching this forum for the string: Ruolo Matricolare
The enlistment and service record of Italian men.

A few months ago I was able to obtain a copy of my great-grandfather's (father's mother's father) Ruolo Matricolare. I simply sent an email to the ARCHIVIO DI STATO serving the province where my great grandfather was from.

Below is a sample of the email that I sent. Cut and paste it into Google-translate to see what it means in English and then fill in the blanks with your great grandfather's information.

I believe that you would send your email to:
as-vr@beniculturali.it
The 'as' is the abbreviation for Archivio di Stato; the 'vr' is the province abbreviation for Verona. When I sent my email I used 'rc' because my great grandfather lived in the provice Reggio di Calabria.

A few weeks after sending my email, I received a reply saying that the record had been found. However, first I had fill in a standard requst form and send 2 euros to the Archivo Di Stato in Italy. They provided the address in Italy.

The form (in Italian) requested my name, reason for the request and how I wanted the document delivered. Instead of sending a 2 euro coin, I sent a 5 euro note. I also printed a copy of the email that they sent to me. I went to the post office to mail my letter and about 2 weeks later I received an email with the document attached. They informed me that I had a balance of 3 euros and offered to look up another relative. I replied by graciously thanking them for the document and requested that they look up the record for my father's father since he too was from Reggio di Calabria. A few weeks later I had his Ruolo Matricolare. If you know the name and birthdate of your great grandfather's brother, you might want to make both requests in the same email.

Good luck in your search.

Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo ____1______. Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da ______2_____. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’ registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di questa persona nei vostri registri dal 1896 fino al 1900?
Nome e cognome: ____3____
Data di nascita: _______4_________
Luogo di nascita:_____________5______
Nome e cognome del padre: _____6_____
Nome e cognome della madre: ____7____
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.

Distinti saluti,

Your name
Your email address

1- Your name
2- Area where your ancestors are from
3- Name of your great grandfather
4- His birthdate
5- Place of birth of your great grandfather
6- Name of his father
7- Name of his mother
Marsbar723

Post by Marsbar723 »

I have but I've had a hard time uncovering any info on there. Thank you so much!
Marsbar723

Post by Marsbar723 »

Thank you for that link! I was able to find my great grandfathers brother!
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Does anyone know the e-mail address I'd use to obtain information regarding military service for a person born in Avigliano, Potenza Italy. Also how would I change the template for the letter above to request two records in the same letter other than duplicating the part about the individuals name, date, dob, parents etc with the correct information for each. I am looking to find information on both of my great grandfathers. I also have a photo of a man in an Italian Military uniform that I suspect would be one of my great grandfathers. Are there photos associated with the military records? Thanks, Eileen
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

I also am not sure about dates mentioned in letter 1896-1900

One great grandfather was born in 1873. His WWI Census form says he served in the Italian Infantry or 18 months. He came to the US in 1902.

My other great grandfather was born in 1866. His WWI Census form says he served 4 years. He came to the US in 1902.

Based on that information what dates should I use. At what age were young men required to join the Italian military? Thanks, Eileen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Military records go by the year they were born not when they enlisted no photos with records
Try the Archivio di Stato di Potenza
E-mail: as-pz@beniculturali.it

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Marsbar723

Post by Marsbar723 »

Thank you Marty. Does the email need to be in Italian? Also can you recommend other resources for finding Italian ancestors? I've been unable to find any Italian records on them. Thank you!!
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Thank you Marty. I'll use that e-mail address and the template for the letter above. I really appreciate your help. I always learn something new from this wonderful website. Eileen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marsbar723 wrote:Thank you Marty. Does the email need to be in Italian? Also can you recommend other resources for finding Italian ancestors? I've been unable to find any Italian records on them. Thank you!!

You will have to send for Giovanni birth record because they are not online at the present time or on microfilm at Family History Library

email: area.anagrafe@comunedolce.it.

Comune di Dolce'
Via Trento 698
37020 Dolcè (VR)
Italy

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Giovanni Saggiani

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Dolce'. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Giovanni Saggiani
Nome e cognome del padre: Luigi Saggiani
Luogo di nascita: Dolce'
Data di nascita: 1895
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Good Morning,
I sent a copy of the letter posted by Caterina05271899 » 13 Apr 2015, 18:13 adjusted to request records for both of my great grandfathers which both are Vincenzo LoRusso. The response I got suggests I need their full address for a search to be done. I wonder if they are thinking I don't know which one is mine. They both are! Does anyone have any idea how I should proceed. I don't speak Italian and I don't know what their address would have been except that they both were born in Avigliano. Vincenzo b. 1866 came to the U.S. in 1905 and Vincenzo b. 1873 came to the U.S. in 1902.
This is a copy of the letter I sent:

29 Giugno 2015

Egregi signori,

Mi chiamo Eileen LoRusso Poulin. Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’ registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari dei miei due nonni nei vostri registri?

Nome e cognomen: Vincenzo Lorusso
Data di nascita: 7 sett 1873
Luogo di nascita Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata

Nome e cognome del padre: Francesco Lorusso
Nome e cognome della madre: Carminella Nardozzi
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri.

Nome e cognomen: Vincenzo Lorusso
Data di nascita: 7 guigno 1866
Luogo di nascita Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata

Nome e cognome del padre: Francesco Lorusso
Nome e cognome della madre: Maria Giovanna Sabia

Distinti saluti,

Eileen LoRusso Poulin
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Where was it sent too? By email?

Marty

Marty
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Hi Marty,
I sent it to as-pz@beniculturali.it
Eileen