Hitting a brick wall: searching for Alessandro Testa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcj7894
Rookie
Rookie

Hitting a brick wall: searching for Alessandro Testa

Post by lcj7894 »

Hello everybody, new poster here!

I'd like some help finding more information on my great grandfather, Alessandro Testa. I'm specifically looking for his Birth, Marriage, and Military records.

He was born on 1896 in Avellino, Campania, Italy apparently in the village of Rocca San Felice. I don't know the month or day of birth. In terms of Military service, he was a soldier in at least 2 wars around the time of 1918 (according to my grandmother) and won two Purple Hearts for his service. You'd think that records of Purple Hearts would be easy to find, but I haven't found anything on his service. Also, all I know about his marriage is that it took place in Italy around 1920 to Philomena Rossi.

For a little bit more information, he immigrated with his wife and first born daughter Mafalda on the Conte Rosso ship that left from Naples on February 11, 1924 and arrived in Ellis Island on February 16, 1924. I do have that Manifesto in my records, but it didn't provide a whole lot of information that has helped me get closer to knowing his past and family details. He lived with his family in Watertown, Massachusetts until his death of Lobar Pneumonia at St. Elizabeth's Hospital on June 18, 1939. I do have a copy his death certificate. I also have an index card that stated he was Naturalized on September 27, 1937, his signature is included on that card. He's also only been found on the 1930 census, so as you can imagine there won't be that much to find of him before he passed away. His Italian records are what interests me that most.

Any help at all i'll be so grateful for. I should also mention I have one photograph of alessandro wearing his military uniform right before he left for America. If you'd like me to upload that picture and those documents I have of him for reference then I will certainly do that. Thank you for reading.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Hitting a brick wall: searching for Alessandro Testa

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website I looked at online records of Rocca San Felice, Avellino no Testa births 1895-1900 how did you get that birth location.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

According to the manifest of 1924, Alessandro Testa was leaving (in the country from which he came) his brother-in-law, Carmine Rossi in Ceppaloni... (Ceppaloni -- province Benevento -- region Campania )

Maybe we can find more information on Alessandro by searching for his marriage record which would most likely be in Ceppaloni, the hometown of his bride, Filomena Rossi :-)

It is also possible that their daughter was born in Ceppaloni. :-)

EDIT TO ADD:

If that is your Family tree on Ancestry... that is a FABULOUS picture of Carmine, Mafalda and Alessandro!!! :-)

T.
lcj7894
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lcj7894 »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to IG website I looked at online records of Rocca San Felice, Avellino no Testa births 1895-1900 how did you get that birth location.

Marty
The 1924 Manifest that shows Alessandro with his family immigrating to Ellis Island states:
"Italy Rocca F" as place of birth. Through that document it lists his brother, Fedele Testa. So I searched him and his records state that his place of birth is in Avellino, Campania. His other brothers I just found today also say Avellino is their place of birth
Tessa78 wrote:According to the manifest of 1924, Alessandro Testa was leaving (in the country from which he came) his brother-in-law, Carmine Rossi in Ceppaloni... (Ceppaloni -- province Benevento -- region Campania )

Maybe we can find more information on Alessandro by searching for his marriage record which would most likely be in Ceppaloni, the hometown of his bride, Filomena Rossi :-)

It is also possible that their daughter was born in Ceppaloni. :-)

EDIT TO ADD:

If that is your Family tree on Ancestry... that is a FABULOUS picture of Carmine, Mafalda and Alessandro!!! :-)

T.
Yes you're right, I did find that bit of information about Carmine but I haven't been able to find documents about him. I also can't add him to the family tree on Ancestry since I don't know the names of his/Philomena's parents. I'd love to get a copy of the Marriage record but I don't know where to look or how to get hold of it. Yes, that is my family tree! That picture has been in my Nana's possession for many years. :)
Surnames Researching: Testa, Russo
Locations: Squillani (AV), Ceppaloni (BN)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

This is Alessandro's brother Fedele's 1913 manifest--last residence and place of birth Roccabascerana. Travelling with wife Pasqualina. Nearest relative in Italy father Felice. Destination Watertown MA. Line 9.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8745/MA ... turnRecord

Fedele was previously in the US. I located a 1907 manifest which showed his destination as Boston to join brother Antonio. Last residence Rocca????. Line 29

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great find, Biff! :-)

I was also thinking Roccabascerana as a possibility!

The LDS holds microfilmed records for this comune (1809-1899) which are available to rent and view at your nearest LDS Family History Center...
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Prego Biff lets try this to find out send email first

Anagrafe e stato civile
Comune di Roccabascerana
Piazza M. Imbriani
83016 Roccabascerana (AV)
Italy
E-Mail: roccabascerana1@virgilio.it

attn: Ugo Viscione

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di Alessandro Testa di Felice

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Roccabascerana. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Alessandro Testa
Nome e cognome dell padre: Felice Testa
Nome e cognome della madre: Arcangela Bossa
Luogo di nascita: Roccabascerana
Data di nascita:1896
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lcj7894
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lcj7894 »

Thank you, Biff! Sometimes it's so hard to read the handwriting on these documents, so i'ts great to finally get some useful information on them! I've seen a lot of documents that say "Rocca ???" but the rest is illegible to me so thank you as well for seeing something in one of them. It's a start!

Through that finding on Antonio, i've managed to also see that they had a brother Guiseppe and possibly another named Joseph Testa. I haven't been able to fully link Joseph to the four of them, but this is an awesome find!

To Adelfio: What kind of photo ID would this Commune need of me? A drivers license? Also, if they locate records will I need to pay a fee to obtain copies?
lcj7894
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lcj7894 »

Also, thought I should post this photo of Fedele I found with his wife and children, because why not! You all helped me find more information on him :)

A distant relative I found through Ancestry.com had it posted. The date is around late 1920s/early 1930s in Watertown, MA

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Bellissimo! :D

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a possible WWI Registration Card for Carmine Rossi.

He is residing in Watertown, MA, at 62 Lexington.
His birthdate is 11 January 1891 in Roccabascerano, Avellino, Italy.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

lcj7894 wrote:Thank you, Biff! Sometimes it's so hard to read the handwriting on these documents, so i'ts great to finally get some useful information on them! I've seen a lot of documents that say "Rocca ???" but the rest is illegible to me so thank you as well for seeing something in one of them. It's a start!

Through that finding on Antonio, i've managed to also see that they had a brother Guiseppe and possibly another named Joseph Testa. I haven't been able to fully link Joseph to the four of them, but this is an awesome find!

To Adelfio: What kind of photo ID would this Commune need of me? A drivers license? Also, if they locate records will I need to pay a fee to obtain copies?
Driver license is find and there should be no charge for records

Marty

Marty
lcj7894
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lcj7894 »

Tessa78 wrote:Here is a possible WWI Registration Card for Carmine Rossi.

He is residing in Watertown, MA, at 62 Lexington.
His birthdate is 11 January 1891 in Roccabascerano, Avellino, Italy.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

T.
Great find, T! There's also a Pasqule and Victor Rossi both from Avellino that signed up right after Carmine in that lineup all from Watertown, so i'm sure they are also somehow related back. If I can find the parent's names I can add Carmine to my Ancestry tree :)
lcj7894
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lcj7894 »

Marty, after contacting the Commune in Avellino this is what they sent to me. It looks like a birth certificate but it's in Italian. Would anybody know where I could translate this?

In the email this is what they wrote
"Si trasmette, in allegato, la copia integrale dell'atto
di nascita di Testa Alessandro
L'Ufficiale dello Stato Civile Ugo Viscione"

and then this is the document
http://oi57.tinypic.com/e5r5s2.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

We can do the translation for you!

Here it is...
This is a photocopy of the original birth registration for Alessandro Testa.

Dated 6 September 1895 at 9:40 Am at the town office.
Before the official... in the town of Roccabascerana, appeared Felice Testa, of age 50, a peasant farmer residing in said comune, to declare that at 8AM on the 5th of this month at the place at Via Squillacci [no number], to Arcangela Rossi, his wife residing wit him, a peasant farmer, was born a male child who was presented and to whom was given the name ALESSANDRO
To the recording of this birth were present as witnesses: Antonio Fantasia, 50, peasant farmer; and Antonio Pallotta, 60, peasant farmer, both residing in this town.
The official signed as the others were illiterate.

T.