Surname does not exist anymore?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Surname does not exist anymore?

Post by Sus80 »

Hi,

Through much appreciated help here in the forum I learned of a new surname in the family. It had been a deciphering problem on an American record.

The name is, as found on the Italian record,

Gelvitto.

Index #93 in the birth record below (mother's maiden name)

(https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,354002301)

I have used the White Pages of Italy, and an Italian website called gens.info
To find any person with this last name in Italy, to no avail. I have searched the web for "rare Italian surnames", no mention of the one I am looking for.

Is it possible the name is entirely extinct?

When I google search the name only a couple of people with the First name Gelvito pop up, but no surname, and nothing in Italy, and nothing very similar either (except Gelbito)...

What would you do next?
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Surname does not exist anymore?

Post by erudita74 »

The 1806 census for Struppa is online and the surname is not there. I also looked through some early indices for Genoa and don't see it.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... o/Struppa/

Erudita
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Try to find the marriage record of the parents named in this birth act. The names of the mother's parents should be recorded in that marriage act.

If her parents are unknown, ("ignoti") then it might be possible that she was a foundling, and that her "cognome" was invented for her at the time of her birth. If that is the case, then it would explain why you cannot find it either in Italy today, or in historical records.
TerraLavoro
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Sus80 »

Thanks guys! This is something I can work with! Very helpful :-))
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I looked earlier at some of the marriage records in Struppa and couldn't find it. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
Erudita