Doria Family Link

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Stefano98

Doria Family Link

Post by Stefano98 »

Can anyone help me reestablish my link to the famous Doria Family of Naples and Genoa?

My great grandmother was Emilia Anna Clementina Carmela Teresa D'Oria, born about 1871 in Naples (?) but I have not been able to find her birth record. She was somehow related to Admiral Andrea Doria, I Prince of Melfi. Her father was Luigi D'Oria, probably born about 1836 in Naples or Genoa, but I don't have his birth record. Her mother was Maria Concetta Aloia, born 25 Jun 1838 in Naples. I have her birth record.

I have located birth records for three of Luigi's other children on Antenati.It: 1) Francesco Di Paola Giuseppe Michele Maria Vincenzo D'Oria, born 08 Nov 1858 in Naples; 2) Vincenzo Fortunato Francesco Giuseppe Maria Raffaele Michele Ciro D'Oria, born 02 Feb 1862 in Naples; and 3) Assunta D'Oria, born 09 Nov 1864 in Naples.

I also have most of the genealogy for the Doria Family of Nobility, but I have not been able to find Luigi's parents or grandparents to establish the connection.

Thanks for your help.
Stefano98
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Doria Family Link

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum :-)

Can you post the links to the births of the other children of Luigi D'Oria?

T.
Stefano98

Post by Stefano98 »

Luigi D’Oria and Maria Concetta Aloia had seven children: Francesco (1858), Vincenzo (1862), Assunta (1864), Emelia (abt. 1871), Salvatore (1873), Anna (abt. 1875), and Maria (???). Here are the birth records that I found on Antenati.It

Francesco D’Oria (Son of Luigi D’Oria and Maria Concetta Aloia):

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

Vincenzo D’Oria (Son of Luigi D’Oria and Maria Concetta Aloia):

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 2.jpg.html

Assunta D’Oria (Daughter of Luigi D’Oria and Maria Concetta Aloia):

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 6.jpg.html

I also found a birth record for Luigi’s wife, Maria Concetta Aloia, and a death record for Concetta Aloia who appears to be her sister. This is confusing because Luigi’s wife also seems to have gone by the name of Concetta.

Maria Concetta Aloia (Wife of Luigi D’Oria):

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

Concetta Aloia (Sister-in-law of Luigi D’Oria):

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 9.jpg.html

Stefano 98
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thank you for the additional information...

I have been searching for a possible marriage act for Luigi D'Oria and Maria Concetta Aloia to help identify Luigi's place of birth, and the generation prior, but have not been successful.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Isnt Concetta Aloia father Don Pasquale Aloia according to Francesco D’Oria birth record you listed? The father on the Concetta Aloia birth record you posted is Raffaele Aloia

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Good catch, Marty! :-)

In fact, both of the Aloia records above (Maria Concetta and Concetta) list Raffaele as the father...

And the birth of Francesco D'Oria, as you stated, has father of Maria Concetta as Don Pasquale Aloia...

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Possible 1832 Luigi Doria son of Francesco Doria age 31 sailor and Michela Gallo birth record

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 9.jpg.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Stefano98

Post by Stefano98 »

Francesco's and Assunta's birth records infer that Luigi was born in 1833.
Vincenzo's birth record infers that Luigi was born in 1834. The ages given on the birth records are inconsistent, so they can't be trusted, but they don't indicate that he was born in 1832, so it casts doubt on the possible birth record that you found.

Also, my grandmother said that Luigi was originally from Genoa. I don't know if that is true, but it could be right. Since they were related to nobility, I would expect him to have a long name listed on his birth record and there would probably be reference to other people of stature. If his father was in the maritime, I doubt he would have been just a sailor -- it is more likely that he would have been an officer, perhaps a ship's captain. I don't rule out the maritime connection, however, because my great grandmother Emelia, married into a family of seafarers. Her father-in-law was a ship's captain from Meta di Sorrento. How did they come to know the D'Orias? I don't know.

Stefano98
Stefano98

Post by Stefano98 »

I don't know whether this has any bearing on our search, but it looks like more than just coincidence...

I ran across the name of Odoardo D'Oria, Prince of Summonte, (son of Aspreno Colonna D'Oria, Prince of Paliano). Odoardo's full name is: Odoardo Maria Francesco Di Paola Luigi Raimondo Giuseppe Gaetano Raffaele Colonna D'Oria. Compare his name to that of my relatives Francesco D'Oria and Vincenzo D'Oria. Hmmmm...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello again Stefano :-)

I am curious about why you searched for Maria Concetta Aloia's birth in Chiaia, and not in San Ferdinando. Do you have documentation referring to Chiaia?

Also, you mention Emilia marrying into a family of seafarers. Do you have her marriage record?

T.
Stefano98

Post by Stefano98 »

I did a name search for Concetta Aloia on Antenati.It and a reference popped up for Maria Concetta Aloia's birth record in Chiaia.

I also found a birth record for her brother, Giorgio Aloi(a), in San Ferdinando:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

I noticed that their father, Raffaele, was in the army and was apparently stationed in Naples, so he might have been moving around.

I don't have any marriage records for Emelia. She married Roberto Treglia, who was from Sorrento. I don't have any records for them while they were in Italy. Roberto's father was Gaetano Treglia, the ship captain from Meta di Sorrento. I have no records for him.

Stefano98
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

So do you believe that the birth record for Francesco D'Oria is incorrect in identifying Maria Concetta Aloia's father as Pasquale? All the birth records you have posted for Maria and her siblings have Raffaele as the father.

T.
Stefano98

Post by Stefano98 »

I have to believe that the reference to Pasquale is incorrect because all the other references are to Raffaele and Raffaele is the name on Maria Concetta's own birth record.

If we assume that Raffaele is the correct name, then here is another clue:

On Ancestry.com, there was a hint that connected me to a marriage record for Raffaele and Anna Matino. It says that they got married in Caserta on 01 Oct 1825. If they were living in Caserta, then it is possible that Luigi and Maria Concetta got married in Caserta as well, probably in 1856 or 1857, one or two years before Francisco was born. Maria Concetta would have been 18 or 19 years old. The problem is that I don't know how to access records from Caserta, but here is what I found on Ancestry.com:

Aloia, Raffaele
Record Image Index-only record

Report issue

Name: Raffaele Aloi
Birth Date: 1797
Marriage Date: 1 ott 1825 (1 Oct 1825)
Marriage Place: Caserta,Caserta,Italy
Father: Giuseppe Aloi
Mother: Saveria Sardaneli
Spouse: Anna Antonia Gaetana Mattino
FHL Film Number: 1173593
Cancel

Stefano98
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I did a little researching back a little bit on ancestry.com on Amelia D'Orio wife of Robert Treglia the user:afarella has a family tree that says her father is Vincenzo D'Oria maybe you should make contact and compare research notes

PG LINK TO TREE
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/6549920/ ... 1963747536

Marty

Marty
Stefano98

Post by Stefano98 »

Afarella's information is incorrect. I have two first-hand sources that say Emelia Doria's father was named Luigi. One was from my grandmother, Elena Treglia, the other was through her sister, Adelaide Mary Treglia, so I believe I'm right. I contacted Afarella. Her information was speculative -- she got it from the Internet, but she has not changed it on her family tree.