CAFFARELLA SURNAME

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rhranchaz

CAFFARELLA SURNAME

Post by rhranchaz »

Only able to get as far as Phillipe (Felix) Caffarella or Cafarella emigrating to US in early 1900's. Cannot find where in Italy. Some family members state the name was originally C'forella (Aide de Camp of Napoleon), who came from France. Looking for any Caffarella information in Italy (other than the Park in Rome). Caffarella relations please contact! If anyone has info on a Phillipe (variant spellings) or Felix Caffarella, please contact. Thanks!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: CAFFARELLA SURNAME

Post by wldspirit »

Please clarify.....you have or have not located the ship manifest?
Have you researched naturalization documents? Church records such as marriage and baptism? Placed the family on any U.S. census??
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

rhranchaz wrote:Only able to get as far as Phillipe (Felix) Caffarella or Cafarella emigrating to US in early 1900's. Cannot find where in Italy. Some family members state the name was originally C'forella (Aide de Camp of Napoleon), who came from France. Looking for any Caffarella information in Italy (other than the Park in Rome). Caffarella relations please contact! If anyone has info on a Phillipe (variant spellings) or Felix Caffarella, please contact. Thanks!
Hi There,

I did a search for the name Caffarella on Infobel (Italian telephone directory). There were 64 listings. Here is the link.

http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/ ... earch.y=12

Also, can you tell us the year of birth for Phillipe? Can you tell us where he settled in the USA? (Sorry if I am repeating anything anyone already posted)
This is what I found on Ellis Island.

Name, Last Residence, Year of Arrival, Age at Arrival
Cafarelli,Filippo ... 1904, 32
Cafarelli,Filippo, Porto Empedole, 1902 , 27
Caffarelle,Filippo, S.Piero Patti, Sicily, 1913, 17
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, Sicily, 1913 , 17
Caffarelli,Filippo , S. Picco Patti, Sicily, 1913, 16 85
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, Sicily, 1910, 27
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Rath, Messna, 1908, 17
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, 1907, 42
Caffarelli,Filippo, 1906, 62
Caffarelli,Filippo, 1906, 30
CAFFARELLI,FILIPPO, MESSINA, 1905, 32
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, 1904, 31
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero, Sicily, 1920, 28
Caffarelli,Filippo, Roma, Italy, 1919, 28

I hope some of this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
rhranchaz

Post by rhranchaz »

wldspirit wrote:Please clarify.....you have or have not located the ship manifest?
Have you researched naturalization documents? Church records such as marriage and baptism? Placed the family on any U.S. census??
wldspirit
I have no naturalization papers, only a death certificate dated 1902, where it is stated that Felix Caffarella died and was the husband of Isabella Maguire of Philadelphia, PA. Felix died in Malden, Massachusetts (where my family is from), but it appears that he originally emigrated to Pennsylvania, since married Isabella there, (and his firstborn, Charles Augustus Caffarella, was born in Philadelphia).

His death certificate only states that he was born in Italy 1848, but no city is listed.
rhranchaz

Post by rhranchaz »

Trish,
thank you for your work...the Phillip in the 1898 Census is most likely the Phillipe I am looking for since my he (my great-great grandfather) died in Malden, MA. I have a copy of his death certificate. It states that he was born in Italy in 1848 (no city or region named), and that he died on 12 May 1902 in Malden, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts. He was married to Isabella Maguire of Philadelphia, and their firstborn, Charles Augustus Caffarella was born in Philadelphia. At some point they moved to Massachusetts. His name is listed as "Felix" on the death certificate, but it was given to me by my grandfather (the grandson of Felix).

I already have all the Ellis Island entries, none of which would correspond to this particular Caffarella, at least matching the years, date of death, etc. Some are, however, related to the Philadelphia Caffarellas, of which there is still quite a contingent. It is possible that Felix was a cousin (or other removed relative) of the Philadelphia Caffarellas, since he met and married Isabella there. There are several variants of the spelling of this name, and I've looked at them all.

HOWEVER, I had not come across that census entry...do you have the full entry?

Thank you again.
Cheryl Caffarella-Wilson

Hi There,

I did a search for the name Caffarella on Infobel (Italian telephone directory). There were 64 listings. Here is the link.

http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/ ... earch.y=12

Also, can you tell us the year of birth for Phillipe? Can you tell us where he settled in the USA? (Sorry if I am repeating anything anyone already posted)

I found a Philip in the 1910 Census. Is this your Philip?

Name: Philip Caffarela
Age in 1910: 40
Estimated birth year: abt 1870
Home in 1910: Conemaugh Twp, Cambria, Pennsylvania
Series: T624
Roll: 1322
Part: 2
Page: 259B
Year: 1910

This is in the 1920 census
Cafarellei, Philip Utica, Oneida, New York abt 1892 Italy
Cafferella, Philip Malden, Middlesex, Massachusetts abt 1898 Massachusetts

This is what I found on Ellis Island.

Name, Last Residence, Year of Arrival, Age at Arrival
Cafarelli,Filippo ... 1904, 32
Cafarelli,Filippo, Porto Empedole, 1902 , 27
Caffarelle,Filippo, S.Piero Patti, Sicily, 1913, 17
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, Sicily, 1913 , 17
Caffarelli,Filippo , S. Picco Patti, Sicily, 1913, 16 85
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, Sicily, 1910, 27
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Rath, Messna, 1908, 17
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, 1907, 42
Caffarelli,Filippo, 1906, 62
Caffarelli,Filippo, 1906, 30
CAFFARELLI,FILIPPO, MESSINA, 1905, 32
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero Patti, 1904, 31
Caffarelli,Filippo, S. Piero, Sicily, 1920, 28
,Caffarelli,Filippo, Roma, Italy, 1919, 28

I hope some of this helps.
Trish[/quote]
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Cheryl,

Here we go! This is the information for the 1910 Census. I know someone in the group will post it for you.

Name: Isabella Caffarella
Age in 1910: 48
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1910: 7-Wd Malden, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Series: T624
Roll: 601
Part: 3
Page: 235B
Year: 1910

Here is the 1900 census.

Name: Felix Caffarella
Home in 1900: Malden Ward 4, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Estimated birth year: 1848
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Immigration year: 1875
Image source: Year: 1900; Census Place: Malden Ward 4, Middlesex, Massachusetts; Roll: T623 662; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 842.

This is from Castle Garden (Pre Ellis Island)

Name, Arrival Date, , Birth Year, Port of Departure, Place of Origin, Destination, Ship Name

F Cafarelli, 19 May 1888, 1855, Naples, Italy and Trieste, Italy Naples,Italy, United States of America, Nubia

F Paule Cafarelli, 23 Apr 1883, 1851, Male Naples, Italy Cathonnor,Italy New York, Britannia

Hope this helps for now.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: I found that the Cafarellas or Caffarellas in Malden coming from MALFA town ( also knowed as Malfa Salina meaning Isola di Salina=Salina Isle)-in Eolie islands(Messina province/Sicily region) and also from Messina town( ditto province) ... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rhranchaz

Post by rhranchaz »

suanj wrote:Hi I found that the Cafarellas or Caffarellas in Malden coming from MALFA town ( also knowed as Malfa Salina meaning Isola di Salina=Salina Isle)-in Eolie islands(Messina province/Sicily region) and also from Messina town( ditto province) ... regards, suanj
Suanj
thank you SO MUCH for that information...how did you find that out? Do you have data available in Italy about passenger ships? That's amazing!

The death certificate for Felix states that Felix' father was GRITAN CAFFARELLA, and that his mother's given name was Catherine (surname unknown)...let me know if you can find anything on those two. The other threads in this topic will give you the info you need.

I appreciate everyone's help!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI: I found this from another source, but very good source... normally the italians, in foreign country, especially in foreign town,and with same surname, well, normally was relatives, because, so, they was an group, and as you know, in emigration age, was many groups based on ethnicity ... about name father is Gaetano CAFFARELLA and Caterina mother... with this data you can send an request in Archivio di Stato di Messina and ask the record ( in photocopy or better in .pdf) of "Liste di Leva and Ruolo Matricolare" (miltar service) of :
-CAFFARELLA Filippo classe 1848, nato in provincia di Messina, figlio di Gaetano e Caterina.

I know that in Messina Archive( in this archive are all records for all people of all Commons in Messina province, saved from wars obviously) are militar records from 1840 untill 1885 and from 1891 until 1917, so is possible if the list is complete to find it and know the just birthplace, but, my opinion is that came from Malfa... Caffarella surname in this version is rare, and present especially in Messina area and in the past also in Eolian isles(Malfa town)... The Archive address is this:
ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI MESSINA

Via 24 Maggio isol. 291, n.18
98122 Messina (ME)
Italia
Tel:+39 090771006 Centr
Tel:+39 0906414603 Dir.
Tel:+39 090670089 S.Sus
Fax: +39 0906414602

E-Mail: asme@archivi.beniculturali.it
----------------------
about ship's manifest no find... also because the surname is long and so many probabilities of misspelling.... best regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Linking files that Trish :P found...
I know someone in the group will post it for you.
Name: Isabella Caffarella
Age in 1910: 48
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8680/image13qk.gif

and

Name: Felix Caffarella
Home in 1900: Malden Ward 4, Middlesex, Massachusetts

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/9602/image30bf.jpg
---------------------------------
Many of the Caffarella's who ended up in Malden came from the Salina Messina area.

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

rhranchaz wrote:
suanj wrote:Hi I found that the Cafarellas or Caffarellas in Malden coming from MALFA town ( also knowed as Malfa Salina meaning Isola di Salina=Salina Isle)-in Eolie islands(Messina province/Sicily region) and also from Messina town( ditto province) ... regards, suanj
Suanj
thank you SO MUCH for that information...how did you find that out? Do you have data available in Italy about passenger ships? That's amazing!

The death certificate for Felix states that Felix' father was GRITAN CAFFARELLA, and that his mother's given name was Catherine (surname unknown)...let me know if you can find anything on those two. The other threads in this topic will give you the info you need.

I appreciate everyone's help!
hi mfjp, Salina is Malfa town in Salina isle( Eolian isles) in Messina province as already I mentioned... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

hi mfjp, Salina is Malfa town in Salina isle( Eolian isles) in Messina province as already I mentioned... regards, suanj
Yes, you are correct :!: Never read your reply earlier on.

Thank you, :P mfjp
anerio

Post by anerio »

You might want to check out my blogs at: http://cafarella-cincotta.blogspot.com http://cincotta-cafarella.blospot.com http://cafarella-cincotta-cucinare.blogspot.com My mother's family name was Cafarella ...they are of course all related as you will see by the piranesi print from the 18th C that will be in the blogs. My family was from the Aeolian Islands, but branches were in Calabria and north of Naples as well as Rome. anerio@yahoo.com
anerio

Post by anerio »

Unfortunately the site edited out parts of the addresses so feel free to contact me through the email address if you cannot figure them out.
jimmorg

Post by jimmorg »

Cheryl, it looks like we are looking for the same Felix Caffarella! I am doing research for my fiance, Helen Caffarella, and any help or sharing of info would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me at jamor9@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
Jim