Guiessepi Pozzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Proudie53

Guiessepi Pozzi

Post by Proudie53 »

Hi Everyone
I'm new on here need help. Looking for info on my 3x gt grandfather he was born near Como? in 1787 he came to Scotland before 1820 where he married Eliza Stuart in Elgin,Moray. He died in Elgin 1871 and is buried in Elgin Cathedral. I know he worked as a Silver smith,and was highly admired.

Sorry no further info.
Proudie53

Re: Guiessepi Pozzi

Post by Proudie53 »

Guisseppi was called Joseph in Scotland so maybe that was his birth name. He came from Como by in 1787-89 but I believe that was classed as part of Milan at the time. Any info on his family would be appreciated.
Proudie53

Post by Proudie53 »

DOB 1787-1789
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You're unlikely to find anything by searching Italian records, since the only one that would probably exist for him would be a baptismal record in some church, and since Giuseppe was probably the most common Italian name, it would be hard to know that you found the right person without knowing his parents' names. I doubt that passenger manifests exist for ships traveling that early either; at least I've never of any. Your best hope is to continue digging through records in Scotland trying to find something with his parents' names; or find someone else who has already done this.

Have you seen his marriage record or his death record? Do you know what names he gave to his children?
Proudie53

Post by Proudie53 »

His death and marriage give no clues.

He was written about in a book they said Como area.
His kids are
Joseph,William,Robert,Andrew,Johanna,Margaret,James,Eliza,John

His mother and father in law were William and Margaret. The spelling of Johanna is a strange spelling!!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

If you've written his children in the order they were born, and the list is complete, then his parents may have been Giuseppe and Giovanna, but that's just the most likely possibility, far from certain. It's encouraging that his 2nd oldest son and his 2nd oldest daughter were named after his wife's parents; that increases the likelihood that his oldest boy and girl were named after his, as per Italian tradition.
Proudie53

Post by Proudie53 »

Yes the children are written in order.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

So we would be looking for a Giuseppe Pozzi, born 1787 to 1789, around Como, with possible parents Giuseppe and Giovanna. The problems that you face are (1) civil records don't go back that far so you'd be relying on church records, (2) he left before marrying, so the only record for him would be a baptismal certificate, (3) Pozzi is a common name in Lombardia, (4) you don't know exactly which town he was from, and (5) Giuseppe and Giovanna are very common names, especially Giuseppe.

What was the book that mentioned him?
Proudie53

Post by Proudie53 »

Provisional Silversmiths of Scotland by G P Moss was the book hes mentioned in. The only other thing we know is his father was a Miller.
Proudie53

Post by Proudie53 »

Just heard from another family member who thinks he came from Uggiate-Trevano anyone know anything about Pozzi family from here?
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi
Uggiate-Trevano is a modern comune, created in 1937. Before that Uggiate and Trevano were two different communities. But they had only one parish, Santi Pietro e Paolo in Uggiate.
As you are looking for someone born at the end of the 18th century you'll need baptismal records. So writing to them is worth a try
uggiate(@)diocesidicomo.it
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin