Scozzari/Ferrara family history

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
matthunt39

Scozzari/Ferrara family history

Post by matthunt39 »

Hi all, first post here.
I am trying to look into my Sicilian family and I'm hitting a lot of dead ends.

My grandfather (Gaetano Scozzari) was from Lampedusa, and came over
to the US in the 1961. His parents were Paolo Scozzari and Maria Sanguedolce. He was born December 22, 1922.

My grandmother (Assunta/Assuntina Ferrara) was from Porto Empedocle, and came over before my grandfather with her sister, Marianna Ferrara. Their parents were Luigi Ferrara and Josephine Paradino (probably Giuseppina.) She was born either June 29th or June 30th 1923 (the records are unclear.)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

-Matt
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Scozzari/Ferrara family history

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum! :-)

There are some online records available for Lampedusa. Unfortunately, the births only go through 1910...

Here is a link to the marriage of Paolo Scozzari and Maria Sanguedolce in 1922 in Lampedusa (at free site Family Search)
Dated 2 February 1922 at 11 AM at the town office.
Before the official appeared:
1 - Paolo Scozzari, 25, sailor born in Lampedusa, residing in Lampedusa, son of Gaetano and of deceased Anna Sferlazzo, both residents of Lampedusa
AND
2 - Maria Sanguedolce, 22, housewife born in Pantelleria, residing in Lampedusa; daughter of Giacomo and of Anna Salerno , residents of Lampedusa
Banns were posted on 1 and 8 January.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,993064401

*** And here is the birth act of Paolo Scozzari
BIRTH ACT of Paolo Scozzari in 1896 in Lampedusa
Dated 13 November 1896 at 9 AM
Appearing before the official was Francesca Santa, 60, midwife residing in Lampedusa, to declare that a 3 PM yesterday (12th) at the house at Piazza Garibaldi, to Anna Sferlazza, age 24, housewife, and to Gaetano Scozzari age 27, shoemaker, her husband, was born a male child and this male was presented and given the name PAOLO.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,243972301

***EDIT TO ADD***

Marriage of Luigi Ferrara and Giuseppa Paradino in 1919 in Porto Empedocle
Parents of Assunta Ferrara - it appears that Assunta was named after her material grandmother :-)
Dated 26 July 1919 at 8:15 PM in Porto Empedocle
Groom: Luigi Ferrar, 25, sailor, born in Porto Empedocle and residing there, son of Raimondo [Ferrera] and of Marianna Marchica, both residents of Porto Empedocle
Bride: Giuseppa Paradino, 21, housewife, born in PE and residing there, daughter of Matteo [Paradino] and of Assunta Prestia, residents of PE
Banns posted on 19 and 26 January
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,993070101

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Scozzari/Ferrara family history

Post by adelfio »

Edit

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty