Gidaro from Isca Sull Jonio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Gidaro from Isca Sull Jonio

Post by wldspirit »

If you know the exact town of origin, you can send for birth, death, and marriage records. There are also military records available, and a unique document called a stato famiglia di originario........which is the original state of the family.....and it documents not those present in a household at a given time, but all members of the family, past and present, including those who moved away or died. An important tool for documenting the entire family unit.
You would request this document from the Ufficio di Stato Civile........
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Gidget6880 wrote:Hi again. Thanks Riccardo for the extra info at least I know that writing to them would be a good option and not a dead end. Thanks to wldspirit also. I didn't know that women in Italy kept their maiden name. Ill have to look at that record again, but that will really help me later on to know so thank you!
Does anyone know if you can write vital records to search for a death certificate if you know the birth and name but don't know when they died? Or do you just have to visit the county and look through thier records?

Lisa
Lisa,
usually the registrar of civil record office in Italy, puts on the birth act, in a little space, the date of the marriage, and the date of death.
In the past this didn't happen all the time.
Just give a try,
good luck for your research, bye Riccardo
Gidget6880

Post by Gidget6880 »

Thanks again to wldspirit and Riccardo. I am planning on writing them shortly to get those records.
Lisa
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

No problem.......and good luck with your search, just be sure to follow Ricbru's advice when writing......always in Italian and don't forget the reply coupon to cover their return postage........
wldspirit :wink:
Gidget6880

Post by Gidget6880 »

On Dominick Gidaro's WWI draft card and it states that he was in the Italian Army for 2 years. I am going to write the State Archives to see if they can send me his conscription records. I know that I should send an international reply coupon, but do I need to send any type of fee or donation along with the letter?
Lisa
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I wouldn't send anything other then the international reply coupon.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Gidget6880

Post by Gidget6880 »

I went to the post office this morning and found that they no longer sell international reply coupons. Should I send my letter without one or is there something else that I should get to send? I asked them if they had anything that was an alternate to the coupon and they said "no". Help!!
Lisa
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Gidget,

I went to the post office this past Saturday and purchased one without a problem. Unless the entire postal system discontinued **SPAM** them between Saturday and today, they are available.

Not all post offices carry the IRC's in stock but they usually can be found in the main branches.

Editorial comment The least the post office you went to could have done was direct you someplace else or offered to order one for you. Try another post office--hopefully the people there will know what the service means in the United States Postal Service.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
heels

Post by heels »

Hi Lisa
I just read your post (2006). My parents also emigrated from Isca Sul Ionio but they came to Canada.

I do know that we had a number of relatives in Kulpmont. My dad's last name is Gidaro, and his mother was, I believe, Maria Mirarchi????not sure of her last name. She was Ferdinando Gidaro's second wife (his first wife died), but I believe that a number of his children from his first wife moved to Kulpmont. Uncle Charlie (Pasquale) came to the U.S. and married Aunt Margaret, (she was not Italian, but spoke perfect dialect)and lived in Kulpmont; they're the ones we went to visit. I know that there were other brothers and I believe a sister who lived there too.

It's a start to perhaps meeting a canadian side of your family????
heels

Post by heels »

Hi Lisa
Addendum to my previous post...
My grandmother Maria's last name could have been Procopio,,,,not Mirarchi. She, at some time, moved to Naples, where there are still some cousins who are alive.
I'll see what other information I can find out here in the great white north.
Gidget6880

Post by Gidget6880 »

heels<
I am sure that we are probably related in some sense because isca sullo jonio seems like it is probably a small town. But I know that there are two Gidaro families from kulpmont and I believe that you are probably related to the Charles Gidaro family. He still has relatives living in that area. My family was not related to that family that we know of but I am sure that there is a connection somehow because again it is a very small town and most of the italian names from kulpmont came from isca. Sorry I couldn't be much help. I do have procopio's in my family that did marry into the mirarchi family but I don't know very much about them.

Lisa
debik

Post by debik »

Lisa my grandfather is Anthony Procopio his mother was Caternia Nestico and his father was Saverio Procopio..I know my grandfather was related to your greatgrandmother someway..I think they were 1st cousins.My mother Stella Procopio was cousins with Tony, Steve, and Marie..Im thinking that Anthony Procopio(my grandfather) father Saverio and Caterina's (your ggrandmother's) father could of been brothers..My questions are...Who is Caternia grandparents? Who would be my grandfathers grandparents? Saverio Procopio's parents?
debik

Post by debik »

Dear Heels...My grandfather Anthony Procopio was married to Rosa Curcio...Her parents are Giuseppe Antonio Curcio and Maria Rosa Mirarchi. Maria Rosa father was Antonio Giuseppe Mirarchi..You said in your post that you were related to Mirarchi's and Procopio's such as I am, being my grandfather was a Procopio and my grandmother mom was a Mirarchi..Wondering if we are related and how...Can you help me with any information you might have...Thank you... Debi K
Gidget6880

Post by Gidget6880 »

Debi k-

I sent you a private message but I don't know if you get an email for one of those I know that you will for this. I think that you are right Saverio is Caterina Procopio's Uncle. When her brother Antonio came to America in 1909 he listed his Uncle Saverio as his residence in Mt Carmel where he was going. Then he left for Italy and came back and listed his cousin Antonio at the same residence. I have a feeling that Saverio and Antonio went back and forth to Italy for a little while until Antonio finally was on the 1930 census. I'm sorry I don't know who Caterina's grandparents were but her father was Andrea Procopio and her mother was Elisabeth Pitello. Andrea I believe died in Italy but Elisabeth came to the US and my aunt said that she died here but I have yet to find any records on her. I would be happy to collaborate and see if we can find out who Andrea and Saverio's parents were. Did Antonio have any brother's and sister's? Did Saverio ever come to America permanently or did he stay in Italy?
Lisa
debik

Post by debik »

HI Lisa, I am thinking that Andrea and Saverio Procopio might of had a sister named
Elizabetta Procopio who married Saverio Nestico-they had a daughter Theresa Marie Nestico>married Antonio Pitello<his father I believe was a brother to Elizabetta Pitello(your grandmother)...Elizabetta Procopio either died or divorced Salverio Nestico because he remarried Terasina Primerano..
I think Andre,Saverio, Elizebetta,had another brother. I thinking this becuse there was a Mary Procopio at 11oo block in chestnut street that owned a grocery store. I know we were related to her. I believe her father, (?), my grandpap father,(Saverio) and your grandfather(Andrea)and Theresa Marie mother(Elizabetta Procopio) were first cousins. I also, know the there were Procopio's that owned a laundry mat in Mount Carmel, was related. His father could of been a brother also to Andrea and Salverio. I know that there was a Procopio from Mount Carmel on maple street was my mothers god parents.
I thinking that for sure we have to be related to the Pitello's and that maybe Pittelo was the maiden name on the maternal side of either Procopio's (andrea and Saverio Elizabetta, etc) mothers last name or Pitello was maternal last name of the Nestico's- SaverioNestico mothers last name which would be my grandfathers mother Caternia Nestico father Saverio Nestico mothers last name...wow...it can get complicated...

Lisa I would like to talk to you...if you would like ..I can give you my telephone number I live in Mount Carmel..I know we are also related to Feudales, Nestico's, Mirello's ..