Falletti Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
khafitzkha

Re: Falletti Family

Post by khafitzkha »

I am probably related to some here. Rosa Bianco in Torino, Italy has been doing some research in the diocese archives there for myself and others in the USA including Michele Enrietta Micetich, who is the proprietor of the Carbon Hill Museum in Carbon Hill, Illinois. If you ever get a chance to go there I highly recommend it. Especially if you had relatives who were of Piemontese ancestry and worked in the coal mines in Grundy, Will and other counties nearby in Illinois. Chances are good that you will find some info on your family at that museum.

I have a copy of The Braidwood Story by Modesto M. J. Donna. This book is only available (last I knew) by getting it in person at the Braidwood Public Library in Braidwood, Illinois. They will not mail it but if you can find someone locally in the Braidwood area -- perhaps they could purchase one for you. The surname Faletti is definitely mentioned in the book. I will post separately what the book says about Faletti and then I will post what my direct Piemontese lines are. Cuorgne, Prascorsano, Pertusio, Valperga, Castellamonte are some of the towns which commonly come up in searches for my ancestors in Torino, Piemonte. My direct surnames (so far and many of these discovered for me by Rosa Bianco) are Valerio (changed from Valeriano and that name itself changed from Guglielmino -- because my gg-grandfather was an orphan in Torino who changed his name), Fenoglio Gaddo, Enrietto, Buffo, Vallero, Pomatto and Silvano. I will post more about these names in a separate post.

Barry Jernigan
great-grandson of Giovanni Ignazio Valeriano & Ida Fenoglio Gaddo
College Grove, Tennessee, USA
khafitzkha

Post by khafitzkha »

This is info from The Braidwood Story by Modesto M. J. Donna, original copyright date 1957

Stephen Faletti Family

Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Faletti and family came to Braidwood from Partuso, Italy in 1873, and became one of the several leaders of the large Italian colony here, and did valiant work in the Americanization of that group. He was a wood worker and a cabinet maker by trade.

He worked in the mines for about ten years, then operated a drygoods and grocery store from 1883 to 1922. He also operated a tavern in connection, but discontinued that business in 1912. During all those years he served both the U.S. and Italian interests in matters concerning his many friends in the Italian colony here, arranging for passages for immigrants and return visits, as the agent of the White Star Steamship Line.

He was elected several terms as Alderman for the Third Ward, served 26 years as a member of the Board of Education of District No. 7 (Lower Braidwood), and was the member who supported the Author, (M. J. Donna), for his first appointment as a grade teacher in that district in 1896. He has the honor of having served the longest term as Township School Treasurer, Reed Township, 32 years.

His wife aided the women of the colony in adapting themselves to the American Way of Life. They raised five children, namely: John, who died in Joliet in 1899, where he operated a store; Antone, an apprentice in the John Chedister blacksmith shop, moved to Spring Valley, Illinois, to follow that trade and served several years as postmaster there; Joseph, a machinist who worked in the E. J. & E. Shops in Joliet, and presently owner of one of the biggest machine shops in Central Illlinois, in Lincoln; Frances, who was one of the first women of Italian descent to get a teacher's certificate in Northern Illinois, taught in the Lower Braidwood School, and the Eliza Kelly School in Joliet, married John Peart and moved to South Wilmington where she followed that profession for years, later moved to Gillespie; and Catherine, who helped her father in the store until her marriage to Harry Brown, a Braidwood pioneer, moved to Gillespie, Illinois where Mr. Brown later served as Mayor for several terms.

FALETTI

Matt Faletti, who worked in the mines for many years, later moved to Standard, Illinois, South of LaSalle. His eldest son, Michael, is presently city attorney for LaSalle. Frank was one of the leading businessmen in Standard. He married Miss Margaret Pomatto, a daughter of the pioneer family of Carlo Pomatto, and a former teacher in the Braidwood schools; Lawrence, who served as Sheriff of Putman County, Illinois, and William, a successful insurance operator in Dwight, Illinois. He married Theresa Ruva, daughter of a Braidwood pioneer.

Dominic Faletti, and early miner, whose son Joseph, died the summer of 1956, and Peter, who resides in Joliet, Illinois. A daughter, Mary, married John Viano, father of Jesse Viano Frost, secretary of the Braidwood Recreation Club. Jennie married William Shaunnessy, a well-known butcher.

John Faletti, a Braidwood merchant, whose son, Matthew, became one of the community's leading foot racers. Other sons were William (Forty) and Domenic, and Mayme.

Barry Jernigan
College Grove, Tennessee, USA
khafitzkha

Post by khafitzkha »

These are my direct ancestors back to several of my fourth great-grandfathers in Italy.

My grandfather was Leslie Paulino Valerio, son of Giovanni Ignazio Valeriano and Ida Fenoglio Gaddo. He was born 27 June 1918 in Torino, Reed Township, Will County, Illinois, USA. He died 11 August 1982 in Apopka, Orange County, Florida, USA. My grandmother, Marion Alice Southcombe Valerio-Hume is still alive and presently lives with my mother and stepfather in Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee, USA.

My great-grandfather was Giovanni Ignazio Valeriano, son of Valeriano Guglielmino and Cattarina Enrietto. He changed his name to George Ignatius Valerio. He was born 8 August 1869 in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. He died at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Olmsted County, Minnesota, USA on 4 May 1925 from cancer of the pancreas.

He married two sisters consecutively. First he married Giovanna Fenoglio Gaddo, daughter of Antonio Fenoglio Gaddo and Maria Delibera Vallero. Giovanna and Ignazio had 3 children and she died 11 May 1904 in Diamond, Grundy County, Illinois, USA. Then Ignazio married her sister, Ida Fenoglio Gaddo, also a daughter of Antonio Fenoglio Gaddo and Maria Delibera Vallero. Ida was born 14 June 1881 in Cuorgne, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. She died 21 December 1976 in Joliet, Will County, Illinois, USA.

My great-great grandfather was born in a location unknown (Montelenghi?, Torino, Piemonte, Italy?) in about 1820. He was the son of Gaspare Guglielmino and Teresa Silvano. Both of his parents were alive when he was placed in the orphanage (Ospidale di Madernita) in the city of Torino, Piemonte, Italy. He moved to America with his family about 1880 or 1881 and eventually settled in Will and Grundy counties in Illinois. While he was still in Italy he changed his name to Guglielmo Valeriano. When he moved to America he changed his name to William Valerio. He died 11 October 1902 in Diamond, Grundy County, Illinois, USA.

He married Cattarina Enrietto on 3 September 1868 in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy (copy of marriage certificate in my possession). She was the daughter of Giovanni (or Gioanni) Battista Enrietto and Domenica Antonia Buffo. She was born 19 November 1839 in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. She died around 1905 probably in Illinois (not confirmed yet).

Prior to his marriage to Cattarina, my great-great grandfather was married to Maria Gecco. They were married about 1846 and she died and then he married my great-great grandmother, Cattarina Enrietto.

I have no information about my great-great-great grandparents, Gaspare Guglielmino and Teresa Silvano. I have found others by the name of Guglielmino and their original town in Piemonte is Montelenghi.

My great-great-great grandfather. Giovanni (or Gioanni) Battista Enrietto, was the son of Battista Enrietto. His mother is unknown. Giovanni Battista Enrietto was born about 1810 probably in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. He died sometime after 1868, probably in Italy.

On 26 August 1834 in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy he married Domenica Antonia Buffo the daughter of Andrea Buffo, but her mother is unknown. Andrea is Italian for Andrew. I don't have any info for a death date or place for Domenica Antonia Buffo. I don't have any dates for Andrea Buffo, but he probably died in Italy sometime after 1868.

My great-great grandfather was Antonio Fenoglio Gaddo. the son of Giovanni Fenoglio Gaddo and Margarita Vallero. He was born about 1839 in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. He married his first cousin, Maria Delibera Vallero, the daughter of Giuseppe Vallero and Marianna Pomatto, on 1 October 1868 in Pertusio, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. Maria Delibera Vallero was born in 1850 in Pertusio, Torino, Piemonte, Italy and died in 1894 in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. Antonio remarried Maria Teresa Pollo probably in Prascorsano, Torino, Piemonte, Italy. Their family still owns vineyards in Prascorsano and supply wine to the local restaurants. Antonio died in 1916 in Prascorsano. Maria Teresa Pollo died in 1951 in Prascorsano.

Giuseppe Vallero and Margarita Vallero were brother and sister. They were both children of Bernardo Vallero. Giuseppe Vallero died 19 March 1868 probably in Italy.

Marianna Pomatto was the daughter of Lorenzo Pomatto.

That's as far back as we have traced so far. I figure some of my fourth great-grandfathers were probably born in the late 1700s probably in the area of Torino, Piemonte, Italy.

Other Piemontese names occur in the collateral family lines. Some of the surnames are Marsaglia, Perona, Danzero, Rosso and others. Most of these families came from Piemonte around the turn of the century and worked in the coal mines in Illinois. Some of them moved further west to Pittsburg County, Oklahoma (originally Indian Territory) and worked in the coal mines there. My great-grandparents, Giovanni Ignazio Valeriano and Ida Fenoglio Gaddo were married in Alderson, Pittsburg County, Indian Territory (Oklahoma), USA on 19 May 1905. Ida's sister and brother in law, Marianna Fenoglio Gaddo and Martin Rosso, lived in Hartshorne, Pittsburg Couny, Indian Territory (Oklahoma), USA.

I wonder how many more direct family names we have in Piemonte? If any of this rings a bell with anyone -- please let me know and I'll see what else I have. I have lists of some of the children of the above.

Barry Jernigan
College Grove, Rutherford County, Tennessee, USA
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Barry,

Check your messages. I left an email address of a guy who is researching the same families as you.

Adam
khafitzkha

Post by khafitzkha »

Some places to look for Falettis in US census (1860 to 1900).

Searching for Soundex of FALETTI and birthplace Italy

Ancestry.com's Search Index results in the following:

1860: Field (Boston Ward 6, Suffolk County, Massachusetts); Fletae (New York Ward 6, District 1, New York City, New York); Float (Southeast, Putnam County, New York)

1870: Felda (New Orleans Ward 5, Orleans Parish, Louisiana); Fellitta or Felluti (San Francisco Ward 4, San Francisco County, California); Flatte (North Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut); Flood (Sharon, Litchfield County, Connecticut)

1880: Faletti, Falletti or Fallitti (Braidwood, Will County, Illinois); Falda (Harshaw Pat Mountains, Pima County, Arizona); Faleti (Bristol, Lincoln County, Nevada); Faletta (Italian Coal Camp; Lincoln County, Nevada); Fellittio or Fillitto (Queens, Greater New York City, New York); Field (Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts); Float (Brooklyn, Kings County, New York); Flodie (Lattimer, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania); Foletti (Walton, Delaware County, New York)

1900: Faletti (Township 1, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory (Oklahoma) & Reed Township, Will County, Illinois & Groveland, LaSalle County, Illinois & New York, Contra Costa County, California & Sneffels, Ouray County, Colorado & San Francisco, San Francisco County, California & Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois & Vermillion, Vermillion County, Indiana); Faliette (Brooklyn Ward 7, Kings County, New York)

There are other Soundexes for "Faletti" in the 1900 census but some may not be the family. I only listed the ones that matched the name above.

Barry Jernigan
Tennessee, USA
jfalletti

Post by jfalletti »

My grandfather Rocco Falletti came to America in 1914 onboard the German Ship Hamburg which left from the port of Naples and arrived at Ellis Island. ( see link others my find this usefull) He was originally form Reggio Calabria in a town named San Giovanni.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/Forma ... shipid=613

Rocco settled in the Boston Area in the town of Hignham and married Carmela Minento (need to confirm spelling of maiden name)
from Brooklyn NY. They had 13 children and lived on a real working farm.

Grandfather gave each kid a large lot of land to build their hous eon. The roads are named Roc Fall road (Rocco Falletti( and Roc Ledge road.

Some of my cousins have visited the Peidmont region of Italy to view the old castle. Have cousins in the CT region.

If anyone has visited San Giovanni and has info please post it.
sfalletti

Post by sfalletti »

jfalletti,

Rocco is also my grandfather. Shoot me a PM

Thanks,
Steve Falletti
pamjohnbennett

Post by pamjohnbennett »

Hello new to board, I am Dennis' s cousin my grandmother was Margaret Falletti Toth my mother is her youngest daughter Virginia. My great grandparents were Matteo Falletti and Dominica Vallero. I have written the consulate in Pertusio to try to get a wedding date. I am working on a family tree currently, and am trying to get documentation to match what I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
katyibanez

Post by katyibanez »

Cindybabe wrote:Thank You DFalletti. Alphonso Falletti's mother's name was Emelia, from looking at Alphonso's obituary. See in about 1907 or 1908, Alphonso after marrying an American girl from Kansas fled to Canada, to hide out. Something happen when he had taken a trip back to Italy in about 1906?. So Alphonso hid out in Canada, until about 1917, he and his wife and along with their 2 children came back to the United States, but they had change their last name. Alphonso changed his name to Frank Blair. He no longer used the Falletti name. The stories have been told that the family lived in fear, feared the Falletti Family would find them. Alphonso or Frank moved alot, ended up in Texas. Just let me know if you find anything. Thanks

Alfonso (or Frank) is my great grandfather. Yes, he did change his name to Blair which is the name we use to this day. I would like to see what information you have, as I do not have much and trying to find out more about my family tree. Please email me at katy.ibanez at gmail dot com.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

Beautiful Story!
carycheffy

Post by carycheffy »

Hello. I am researching my grandmother's family from Pertusio. Her grandmother's name was Vincenza Faletti. Vincenza's father's name was Joseph, her mother was Victoria Cresto. Vincenza was born in approximately 1880. Per Ellis Island, she arrived in America 12/21/1901 at age 21. Joseph and Victoria had three children, Vincenza, Mini, and Domenico. Vincenza married Baptista Baldoni and settled in Springfield, Illinois, USA.
I appreciate any information regarding Vincenza and her family. Thank you.
cheriweinhagen

Post by cheriweinhagen »

I found a Jessie Falletti, 1890 - 1985 (ish) in my genealogy search on the Berta and Girot families of Pratiglione and Prascorsano, Piemonte. Jessie was married to Joseph Berta, Jr. in 1914 in Chicago, but they also lived in Coal City and Diamond, IL. Do any of you have Jessie in your lines? I'd love to get more information about her!
Thanks!