Need info on surname Valicenti and Visingardi from Cersosimo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
oliveriojan

Need info on surname Valicenti and Visingardi from Cersosimo

Post by oliveriojan »

I am trying to get info on my grandparents who were born in Cersosimo, Provincia di Potenza, Italy and married there before emigrating to the U.S.. - they first went to Argentina, I think, and then maybe back to Italy, then to either upstate NY or Aliquippa, PA, where they eventually lived and raised their family. My grandmother was Rosaria Visingardi and my grandfather was Francesco Valicenti. I can provide both their mother's maiden names also.

My grandfather had brothers or something in Argentina so they went there first - am guessing cause they couldn't get into the U.S. I'm trying to figure out if they went back to Italy from there or what since the first 3 kids were born in Argentina, next 2 in U.S., next one in Italy and remaining 5 in Aliquippa, PA where they settled. The only Ellis Island info shows only their re-entry into the U.S. after some kids were already U.S. citizens but can't find original entry. If they came here from Argentina at one point - where would they have entered? Anyone that can help or point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Jan Oliver
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Need info on surname Valicenti and Visingardi from Cerso

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jan and welcome to the forum.

This manifest is for reference only............1903
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

Line 15 - Rosa Visingiardi going to her brother in PA
A few lines below (19 and 20) are Giuseppe Valicenti and his sister Rosa going to their brother Francesco in PA. All of these people are going to the same town. Possible that this Giuseppe is your Francesco's brother?

I'm still searching for the other manifests.

Regards,
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

1901 Manifest of Francesco Valicenti age 45, Rosaria Visingiardi age 43 and two children - Giuseppe age 11 and Vincenzo age 7. Going to their son (can't read the first abbreviated name) Antonio. Also states that Francesco was here before from 1895 to 1900.........manifest for reference

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

Starts at line 20.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Possible 1895 manifest for Francesco Valicenti. Name transcribed wrong (Valiventi) but spelled correct on manifest. Line 153 going to PA alone.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0153
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

The LDS has microfilms for the comune of Cersosimo I've provided you with the link for the civil records from 1809 through 1929

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... +Cersosimo++

Find a Family History Center (FHC) near you
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
write down the films you would like to view, go in to order. Cost per film is about $5.50 USD and takes about 4 weeks to receive.

The films contain records for births, deaths, marriages etc. I believe to find out about leaving and going to Argentina, returning and leaving for USA you will need to look at the records called cittadinanze (they kept track of a persons leaving a comune and/or returning).

If my comment about cittadinanze is incorrect can someone post and let me know?

Hope this will help.

Elizabeth
JenFayad

Post by JenFayad »

Jan, my husband's grandmother was a Valicenti who lived in Aliquippa, PA after marrying an Alfano. Her father was Giovanni Valicenti who was born in Cersosimo in 1888 and had a brother Pasquale Federico Valicenti. They also had a younger sister (name unknown) who remained in Italy with their mother who was Maria Antonia Valicenti (unmarried). Giovanni came to the US in 1907, lived in McKees Rocks, PA and returned to Italy in 1914. My husband's grandmother returned to the U.S. around 1930. My mother-in-law said they knew they were related to other Valicenti's in Aliquippa, but wasn't sure how. I'm sure my husband's family is somehow tied to yours. I have seen info on Francesco Valicenti, but have never been able to tie the families together. Perhaps we can figure this out.
michiganmom89

Post by michiganmom89 »

I have a copy of my father in law's family tree...but just the parents going back 3 or four generations. There are Valicenti's on both sides of the tree and he is a Visingardi. you can reach me via email at michiganmom@sbcglobal.net please put Visingardi in the subject line. Sheila V.
mrvalicente

Post by mrvalicente »

Hi Valicenti and Visingardi's descendants!, I'm from Argentina, a Valicenti's descendant too and since I've the opportunity to visit Cersosimo and meet that lovely people , I'm creating a page in FaceBook "L'America non dimentica " so we can be in touch and exchange stories. Also I've been researching about people to come to America from that little town (USA and Argentina), I hope to create a community to remember our great grandparents. I'm in Argentina but I'm able to understand English and italian so I'm able to help with your researchs.
Kind regards! my e-mail is mrvalicente@gmail.com I'll be happy to be in touch with you.