Corsican genealogy, Gagiano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jtaylorinusa

Corsican genealogy, Gagiano

Post by Jtaylorinusa »

Corsica was owned by the French from the late 18th century. I believe before that it was Italian. My ancestor fought in Napoleons army in the battles of Austerlitz, Jena and Danzig. His name was Carlo Andrea Gagiano, born in Corsica in around 1784. Was held captive in England in Chatham and moved to South Africa in 1820. He is regarded as one of the founding surnames (known as Stammoeders) in South African history and he has many descendants, both in South Africa and across the USA, however all records begin with him. There is no information available to source his birth, details of siblings or parents. Does anyone have any ideas of where we can begin to look?
GGagiano

Re: Corsican genealogy, Gagiano

Post by GGagiano »

I am curious as to where you got this information from?
Jtaylorinusa

Post by Jtaylorinusa »

This is the information I have pulled from the Pretoria and Cape Town archives in South Africa. I am slightly at a loss as to where or how to look. Some records indicate that he was born in Corsica and others show Mersailles. I see that you are a Gagiano. Did any of your ancestors emigrate to South Africa?
Jacquessa01

Post by Jacquessa01 »

My email address is

jacques@automatwh.co.za
Jacquessa01

Post by Jacquessa01 »

http://www.geni.com/family-tree#6000000013035339694

He was my Great Great Great Great Gran dad!! WOW
leerat83

Post by leerat83 »

Hello I am also a descendant of Carlo Andrea Gagiano. I was hoping that we are able to work together I have hired a researcher to see what she can found but any extra information will help as we all seem to have different bits. Jacquessa01 sorry I don't know your first name I tried to follow the link you supplied below and it says error you do not have authorization to view this. I would like to see what you have. Jtaylorinusa I have copied down what you have said in this form and forwarded the info to my researcher I would like to know if you have anymore information If she finds anything I will defiantly share the info I get with you I also want to know if you copies of the info in the Cape Town Archives or if you have document number it will help as I can then get a researcher to see if they can find out more. Please email me at leerat1983@gmail.com
Kind Regards Lee-Ann
christog

Post by christog »

Hi
I also had it from my father that a Gagiano (Carlo) cam from Corsica to SA. Could be the same gentleman then? No other info available.
Christo Gagiano
Carlo van Wyk

Post by Carlo van Wyk »

The Best available information is from the 1820 Settler website : https://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/ ... ree=master
Name : Carlo Andrea Gagiano
Born : 1784 : Corsica [1]
1820 Lineage : Yes 1820 Settler Nov 1819 Gravesend, Kent, England
Address : Wilkinson's party on the Amphitrite
Settler ID : 3695
Died : 3 Nov 1868 : Buffelsrivier toll, [1, 2]

Gagiano, Carlo Andrea(1784-1968)DN
Picture Note: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... SQF-MSSH-W
Keywords: Death Notice : Person ID : I127233 :master

Settler ID : 3695
Family Tree ? : Yes, Click here to jump to their genealogy
Ship : Amphitrite : Party Wilkinson
Age in 1820 : 36
Date or Year of Birth : 1784
Place of Birth : Corsica
Spouse's Name : Carr, Charlotte Magaretha Nancy
Date of Marriage : 13 FEB 1825
Age at Marriage : 41
Date of Death : 3 NOV 1868
Place of Death : Buffelsrivier tol?
Age at Death : 84
Other Information : Not listed by MD Nash, but listed by Hockly. Hockly has the name spelt as Gaginno.
The original spelling should have been Gaggiano, but the second G got dropped
somewhere in England or SA, according to Nic Gagiano.

Regards
Carlo van Wyk

My Granfather's Full name was : Carlo Andrea Gagiano van Wyk who was the sun of Abraham Erasmus Cornelis van Wyk and Charlotte Margaretha Gagiano