Help contacting Frigento Town Hall

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dichiara76

Help contacting Frigento Town Hall

Post by dichiara76 »

Hello! I need help registering my great grandparent's birth certificates with the Frigento town hall. The original documents were all burned in a fire, but I was able to get the birth certificates from the local church and I just need to register them. The person who was helping me is not in business anymore so I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation of someone in Frigento who I can hire to help facilitate this for me?

Thank you!
Thea
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help contacting Frigento Town Hall

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website what are the names and year of the birth records?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
dichiara76

Post by dichiara76 »

Thank you for getting back to me! My great grandmother's name was Maria Giuseppa Ciampi and her birthday was June 16, 1894. My great grandfather was Pasquale DiChiara and his birthday was February 17, 1891. I have the baptism certificates from the S. Maria Assunta in Cielo in Frigento, but the Italian Consulate here in NYC told me that I must have these document from town hall. I have the letter that they were burned in a fire, but that wouldn't due so I'd need some other documentation from the town hall. I'd love to know if there's anyone I can hire to help me secure these documents.

Thank you!
Thea
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Usually this sort of thing has to be done via the Tribunale and you often need a lawyer if you can't do it yourself.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to contact Mr. Anthony Alioto, http://www.Italianlaw@comcast.net or perhaps www.italianlaw.net who has been very helpful to inquiries here in this very website about Italy land titles and documents as well. I believe he will respond without charge. Peter
~Peter~
dichiara76

Post by dichiara76 »

Thanks so much. I'll drop him an email. Much appreciated!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The birth records are online at familysearch.org of Pasquale DiChiara born February 17, 1891 they should have it too.
PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348570602

The birth records are online at familysearch.org of Maria Giuseppa Ciampi born June 14, 1894.They should have it too
PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348570602

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I know from experience that the Comune will not issue a birth certificate based on the State Archives copy. You might be able to convince them to request the copy from the State Archives themselves.
Processing a new citizen is a LOT Of work for the town office, they are not going to go out of their way to help you.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Should you decide to make further inquiries in Italy for assistance, try Joedesimoneitaly@msn.com who is located in Avellino. Peter
~Peter~
dichiara76

Post by dichiara76 »

Thanks so much for your help everyone. Marty - Do you happen to know if those documents will typically "pass" with the consulate's office. I also emailed the attorney that was recommended. Thank you!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I believe the copies from the state archives will work (assuming they're official copies and not something online you've printed out). It's been a long time since I've seen anyone use them in lieu of a birth extract from a comune, but I recall seeing successful cases like that a few years ago.

The NY consulate is notorious, however, for being inconsistent and difficult when they feel like it, so there are no guarantees. It used to be that a baptismal cert coupled with a letter from the comune saying that their records were destroyed would be sufficient.