Bertolami/Orphanage in Messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
deebee71
Rookie
Rookie

Bertolami/Orphanage in Messina

Post by deebee71 »

My great grandmother and her four siblings (Bertolami was their last name) were orphaned sometime in the mid-late 1880's. I had heard that their parents died as a result of Mt. Etna erupting. They lived in Novara di Siclia. The family notes I have is that they were sent to Orfanotofio de St. Antonino di PaDua, Der Feminelli, Messina. I cannot seem to locate that orphanage. I do see Orfanotofio Sant'antonio di Padova came up in a search, but it appears to be a village way in northern Italy, and an association. Has anyone heard of this particular orphanage in Messina? I am trying to find out the names of their parents, and trying to find proof that they passed from the volcano.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Bertolami/Orphanage in Messina

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Perhaps this one?
http://m.yelp.com/biz/orfanotrofio-anto ... le-messina

Or this?
http://m.yelp.co.uk/biz/orfanotrofio-s- ... na-messina

About the priest Padre Annibale, who began the first orphanage for females in 1882, then for males the next year, in Messina.
Scroll down to Version History... date of September 1882

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... ge_id%3d84

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What are their names? Birth years?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
deebee71
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deebee71 »

Hi Marty,
Sorry for the late reply. I thought I would receive an email when someone replied, but I didn't. My great-grandmother was Concetta Bertolami - 1882, and her sisters were Rosina - abt 1886, Maria - 1876 and Giuseppa - 1878. Maria actually had her last name changed to Curcurruto when she began working for a family, but strangely enough, married Antonino Bertolami and regained her last name. There was no relation between the two.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Giuseppa Bertolami (name corrected in sidenote from Giuseppe to Giuseppa
INDEX#99
1878 April 30th in Novara di Siclia birth of Giuseppa Bertolami daughter of Antonino Bertolami age 27 farmer and Carmela Ippolito farmer. Sidenote says married Luigi de Francesco 1903 Nov 12 in Messina

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179349201

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Marty :-)

I checked all the births from 1874 through 1883 and did not find any Maria, Rosina/Rosa, or Concetta Bertolami whose parents match the parents in the birth record you posted.

In fact, I could not find any other Giuseppa Bertolami births that matched at all with the other given names... I found 13 records in all with those given names and NOT A ONE had the same parents... :? :?:

What do you think?

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I also looked but check this tree out

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/12657757 ... 2728432617

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:I also looked but check this tree out

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/12657757 ... 2728432617

Marty
This tree does not have any documentation to support it. - YET :-)

Your post seems to fit :-) BRAVO!

T.
deebee71
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deebee71 »

Funny you sent me to that tree. My tree was on ancestry and he sent me a message regarding someone on the other side of my tree and he basically copied every person I had on my tree. He really doesn't have any relation to the Bertolami side of the family. Once I saw he did this, I privatized my tree. Plus quite a bit of info I found that he had was incorrect.
deebee71
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deebee71 »

Basically, all of that info was from my tree. I am perplexed that nobody can find any info on them. I have a document from Maria's son, with the info verified by his cousin, who is Rosina's son, stating they all were born in Novara di Sicilia. My grandfather only mentioned they were born in Sicily. But he passed many years ago and can't ask him any more questions :( Oh well. I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Guess it still remains a mystery.
deebee71
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deebee71 »

And Marty,

Thanks for the link to the birth record. I think we may actually have something. It's so hard to look through these as handwriting can be difficult to see, (and I can't read Italian). This is an exciting start to at least confirm the names of their parents!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Let's try one more angle..

You say Maria Bertolami became Maria Curcurruto when working for a family...
Where was this family? What was her "job?"

THEN she married Antonino Bertolami - where and about when did this marriage take place?

You wrote:
And Marty,

Thanks for the link to the birth record. I think we may actually have something. It's so hard to look through these as handwriting can be difficult to see, (and I can't read Italian). This is an exciting start to at least confirm the names of their parents!
EARLIER post - I wrote:
I checked all the births from 1874 through 1883 and did not find any Maria, Rosina/Rosa, or Concetta Bertolami whose parents match the parents in the birth record you posted.

In fact, I could not find any other Giuseppa Bertolami births that matched at all with the other given names... I found 13 records in all with those given names and NOT A ONE had the same parents... :? :?:

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Decided to search the birth records again! :-)

Came across the birth act of Antonino Bertolami, husband of Maria Bertolami/Curcurruto.
Date of birth matches the date of birth on the Ancestry tree for Antonino Bertolami married to Maria Bertolami (DOB 21 August 1878 in Novara)

#160 - in Novara
Dated 26 August 1878 - birth on 21 August 1878
Father: Giuseppe Bertolami, 33, laborer
Mother: Antonina Torre, his wife
Child given the name ANTONINO

There is no notation of marriage on the record.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179349201

Will continue to search for the sisters...

T.
deebee71
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deebee71 »

Yes, that is definitely him. That is my grandfather's aunt's husband and I was told that those were the names of his parents. I was searching those records a bit a few months back and couldn't find much, and they can be so hard to read. I thank you so much for assisting me. I know it's time consuming. The one sister, Josie, married Frank Guzzone in Sicily before they came to NY. The other sister,Rose, married Joe Rotondo, and apparently, they were friend who worked for a Count in Messina. Joe was the head chef and pastry maker, and Joe was the head steward.