Looking for Sicilian Recipe - Puchidata

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for Sicilian Recipe - Puchidata

Post by gemellua »

These "Puchidata" look like little pot pies. You bake them in a muffin pan.
I don't remember what they are filled with. There is no one in my family
old enough to remember the recipe! I would love to surprise them with
it.

Could the filling be similar to the fig cookies? In the Sicilian village my family
is from they call the fig cookies "uciadada" (pronounced which-a-da-da).
I know most Italians call the fig cookies Cucciddati. I have our recipe for
the these.

Thanks
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking for Sicilian Recipe - Puchidata

Post by nazca »

Hi,
"Buccellati" or "cucciddati" are tipical Christmas cookies in Sicily. Here the link for the recipe in english:

http://skilletchronicles.com/content/ch ... om-sicily/
there is a video clip on youtube.com but it is in italian. take a look

http://golosedolcezze.myblog.it/archive ... dolci.html

Have a sweet Christmas with the sicilian cucciddati.

regards.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you Nazca for the reply. I do have my family's recipe for fig cookies. The ones you link are very similar to what I bake (with a few exceptions to the dough and filling.)

However what I am looking for is "Puchidata". Here is an old photo of what they look like. Hope someone out there has the recipe for them! :)

nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
in every province of Sicily you find their own recipe for buccellati (or vucciddati or bucciddati or pucciddati). Try to find with google this words "cucciddati" or "buccellati siciliani" and look the pictures. there are some pictures similar to your.
good luck.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Nazca- Okay - I now understand what you meant! The word "pucciddati" is one of the various names for the "fig cookie or cake"! But I think in my family's Sicilian village they filled the pucciddati different than the "uciadada" biscotti. I am very well aware that even from house to house in the village the dough and filling varied. Some of my relatives fill theirs with raisins and almonds, while we use figs, raisins, dates, almonds, walnuts, and pistachios. I appreciate your help. I was now able to locate a video on youtube that shows a very similar little tart. Still need a recipe for it! Again Grazie! Grazie! BUON NATALE to you and your family :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCQqlKI ... re=related
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
please let me know the name of the village of your relatives in sicily..

Merry Christmas !
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thanks for sharing - I am going to try the fig recipe. My Dad always talked about a fig cookie. However, his family was from Molfetta. I can't remember the name of the fig cookies he talked about. He always talked about wanting my Mom to find the recipe so she could make them. I am going to try the recipe in memory of my Dad. This is a wonderful site for information and I thank each and everyone who responds to questions. Everyone is so nice and respectful and I appreciate all the help I receive each time I post a question. Without a doubt, this is one of the best places for Italian genealogy and just plain everything Italian. It is always a pleasure reading the post in the forum. Again, thank you all so much for this wonderful, informative site.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Sue,
i find this this fig cookies recipe (CALZONI DI SAN LEONARDO), a tipical cookie of Molfetta in Christmas time. Unfortunately it is in Italian, but i think it is possible to translate it whit Google...
see the link below and let me know.... :)
have a nice day.

Vincenzo.

http://www.ilovemolfetta.it/content/ric ... _ricetta=2
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you. If I remember correctly, the cookie was stuffed with the fig filling - like a diaper. And the Italian word for the cookies was something to do with a diaper. I wish I could remember more or asked more questions when my parents were alive.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
jshannon2005

Looking for Italian cookie Recipe - Scatatti.

Post by jshannon2005 »

My father used to buy an almond cookie for my mom that she loved. My father passed away several years ago and the bakery he used to buy the cookies from
closed over ten years ago. I would love to get the recipe so I can bake the cookies for my mom. I know she would smile and think fondly of my dad.
The cookie was called Scatatti. I am not sure about the spelling, but I know it is it is an Italian almond cookie from the Sicilian region of Italy . Does anyone happen to have a recipe
for this Italian cookie, or know of another name it might be called?

Thank you for looking!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

jshannon2005 wrote:My father used to buy an almond cookie for my mom that she loved. My father passed away several years ago and the bakery he used to buy the cookies from
closed over ten years ago. I would love to get the recipe so I can bake the cookies for my mom. I know she would smile and think fondly of my dad.
The cookie was called Scatatti. I am not sure about the spelling, but I know it is it is an Italian almond cookie from the Sicilian region of Italy . Does anyone happen to have a recipe
for this Italian cookie, or know of another name it might be called?

Thank you for looking!
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I'm wondering whether they might be similar to Amaretti which are basically ground almonds, egg whites and castor sugar. Different towns/people might add other ground nuts and vary the recipe a little. Spoonfuls of the mixture are rolled into balls, then flattened. Some people then put glazed cherry on the top, in the middle. The ones I make are crunchy on the outside and softer texture in the middle. They are really easy to make. I'll pm you the recipe later if you think this might be them. I'm just on my way out. (You can also buy Amaretti in packets but they don't taste so great in comparison to the homemade ones.)
Angela
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
try to search with Google "passavolanti vicari": look the pictures . It is a tipical Almond cookies from Vicari, Palermo province, Sicily. Each town in Sicily call Almond cookies in a different name ( i found over 2.400 recipes in Sicily!) but the recipe could be similar to "passavolanti" or "Quaresimali" . let me know..
good luck.

Vincenzo
jshannon2005

Post by jshannon2005 »

Thank you AngelaGrace56, and Vincenzo for your prompt replies. AngelaGrace56 I do not think it is the traditional amaretti cookie.

It is a round cookie that is very crunchy with cinnamon and lemon accents. Maybe this description will help.

Unfortunately, I have been looking for years, and tried several recipes. I still hold hope that someone will have fabulous recipe in their Grandmothers recipe box. :)

Vincenzo, I did a Google search but did not see anything that looked like the cookie. I will keep looking through Google images. Again, thank you so much!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

jshannon2005 wrote:Thank you AngelaGrace56, and Vincenzo for your prompt replies. AngelaGrace56 I do not think it is the traditional amaretti cookie.

It is a round cookie that is very crunchy with cinnamon and lemon accents. Maybe this description will help.

Unfortunately, I have been looking for years, and tried several recipes. I still hold hope that someone will have fabulous recipe in their Grandmothers recipe box. :)

Vincenzo, I did a Google search but did not see anything that looked like the cookie. I will keep looking through Google images. Again, thank you so much!
You are welcome. I read your other post and am glad that Tessa was able to find the "Shcattate" recipe for you and that you now have the correct spelling as well.
(http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... ture/32773)
Angela :)
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
Alia is a little town in Palermo province, near Vicari and the recipe of Almond cookies are similar. In Alia In april there is a festival of "Scattata" cookie (look the first link). In the second link, in english, you can find tipical food from Alia.
I think it's best that you plan a trip to Palermo province !
have a nice week end.
Vincenzo.

http://lafucinaalia.it/index.php/altre- ... a-scattata

http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/comun ... dotti.html