Avigliano Basilicata Italy Coat of Arms

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Avigliano Basilicata Italy Coat of Arms

Post by EMTLP »

Can anyone tell me where I can get clip art online of the Avigliano Coat of Arms and a brief explanation of what the symbols represent. The only online image I have been able to find is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stemma_Avigliano.gif Thanks, Eileen
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Avigliano Basilicata Italy Coat of Arms

Post by pink67 »

A better image and a little explanation here:

http://www.araldicacivica.it/stemmi/com ... e/?id=2760

Laura
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Thank you for your quick reply.The image is much better. If only I spoke Italian . . .
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

If you are interested in the meaning of this: "Albero di avellana impiantato su quattro monti, due leoni rampanti ai piedi", I try to translate, even if heraldry language is not the same as common language...
"Hazelnut tree over four mountains (I don't see the "mountains", so maybe the word "monti" has a special meaning in coats of arms...); two rampant lions below"
"Avellana" is an old name for hazelnut tree (scientific name "Corylus avellana"); hence probably the name of town "Avigliano"?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Thank You.