WWI records for grandfather from Trabia, Sicily

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

WWI records for grandfather from Trabia, Sicily

Post by Marlena »

I was just told that my grandfather, Giuseppe Rinella born 1876 in Trabia, Sicily was, in what my cousin says, was the cavalry in WWI and took care of the horses. How do I start my search?
I've had so much help from this site and members in the past, I'm so thankful for all your help.
Marlene
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: WWI records for grandfather from Trabia, Sicily

Post by adelfio »

If this is your grandfather, Giuseppe Rinella birth act try the Distretto Militare di Palermo for his military record
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (361).jpg
Distretto Militare di Palermo
Piazza Indipendenza 7
90129 Palermo (italy)
e-mail:dmpalermo@levasicilia.difesa.it

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Giuseppe Rinella classe di nascita 1876.

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di: Giuseppe Rinella di Giuseppe nato a Trabia il 16 luglio 1876.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Marty, Yes, that is him, thank you so much! This will be another fathers day present for my almost 97 year old dad!! Can I access the site where you found his birth record? I have a membership to just about every site, but I've never seen this! Also, thanks so much for the military letter, that is so wonderful.
Marlene
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

len52mar wrote:Marty, Yes, that is him, thank you so much! This will be another fathers day present for my almost 97 year old dad!! Can I access the site where you found his birth record? I have a membership to just about every site, but I've never seen this! Also, thanks so much for the military letter, that is so wonderful.
Marlene
Here is the link on familysearch.org :-)
Let us know if you need a translation...

Top left #130
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246770501

There are many records on familysearch.org for Trabia (1862-1910) at this link
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D1947613

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage promise of Giuseppe parents Giuseppe Rinella and Maria Sunseri
INDEX#3
1864 Feb 2nd in the town of Trabia Giuseppe Rinella age 23 farmer born in Trabia son of deceased Salvatore Rinella and Giuseppa Spitaleri promise to marry Maria Sunseri age 21 born in Trabia daughter of Giuseppe Sunseri and Caterina Teresi I would say they got married in the church of Santa Petronilla in Trabia

PG LINKS TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246641901
PG2

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Thank you again Marty! Should I email or write for the military records?
I do think I need some help in translating dates.
I have a great grand father, Giuseppe Antonio Rubino born Sept 20, 1852 and trying to find his death date. He died between 1904 and 1908 in Trabia.
Marlene
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I would email
Are you sure he died in Trabia? Was he Giuseppe Antonio Rubino son of deceased Giuseppe Antonio Rubino and deceased Carmela Pirotta husband of Giuseppa DiMatteo daughter of Bartolomeo DiMatteo and Salvadora Vallelunga married 1877 Mar 9th in Trabia
PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Giuseppe Antonio Rubino his father Giuseppe Antonio Rubino was deceased at the time of his birth
INDEX#129
1852 Sept 20th in the town of Trabia birth of Giuseppe Antonio Rubino son of deceased Giuseppe Antonio Rubino and Carmela Pirotta age 30 the baby was presented by Giuseppe Tomasello age 49 farmer to the civil official
PG LINK TO BIRTH ACT
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246018001

Death record of Giuseppe Antonio Rubino his father
INDEX#28
1852 April 19th in the town of Trabia death of Giuseppe Antonio Rubino age 35 farmer born in Trabia son of Michelangelo Rubino and Nunzia Tomasello husband of Carmela Pirotta

PG LINK TO DEATH RECORD

Death record of Carmela Pirotta she died a couple months after Giuseppe Antonio Rubino was born
INDEX#39
1853 July 28th in the town of Trabia death of Carmela Sunseri Pirotta age 32 born in Trabia daughter of Luciano Pirotta and Orsola Camilla and widow of Giuseppe Antonio Rubino

PG LINK TO DEATH RECORD

Marty

Marty
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Marty, Yes, that is him. When my great grandmother, Giuseppa DiMatteo Rubino, came back to the USA in 1908 ( 2nd trip) she was widowed on the passenger list. Her last child was born in 1904, that is why I used that date range. Her first trip was 1903 and married.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I went through 1900-1910 Trabia death indexes no death record I think Giuseppe Antonio Rubino husband of Giuseppa DiMatteo died after 1910 this 1908 shipmanifest LINE# 10 says Giuseppa DiMatteo was still married in that year
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
NYT715_1129-1008.jpg
Marty

Marty
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Marty you are correct. I confused Giuseppa with her mother Salvatora on that passenger list.That also sheds new light on a family tale!
Thank you so much !
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

I have never heard back from Palermo re the military records, I'll try again. I do have a question about the death of Carmela Sunseri Pirotta. Where does the the Sunseri name come from? Her mother was Camilla Orsola and father Luciano Pirotta per the records.
Thank you, Marlene
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

This address for the military records is no longer valid, is there another one you can obtain?

Distretto Militare di Palermo
Piazza Indipendenza 7
90129 Palermo (italy)
e-mail:dmpalermo@levasicilia.difesa.it

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Giuseppe Rinella classe di nascita 1876.

Thank you, Marlene
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps inquiring by e-mail to as-pa@beniculurali.it att: Claudio C. Torrisi, Direttore for the confirming address of the Distretto Militare di Palermo which may be (I am not certain) Corso V.E. 31, Sede della Gancia 1o,Cortile Gancia, Palermo 90137 may be of assistance. Peter
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The Distretto Militare di Palermo is now called "Centro Documentale di Palermo" and has the following email address: cedoc_palermo@esercito.difesa.it