L'uscita dalla messa

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

L'uscita dalla messa

Post by TerraLavoro »

On a recent visit with an elderly aunt, she showed me a dress that she has preserved that my GGM wore for the purpose of appearing at church with her husband for the first time as a married couple. This happened in one of our ancestral towns in "basso Lazio".

Can anyone else elaborate on this tradition of appearing in certain clothing "per l'uscita dalla messa"?

I mean was/is this a very local tradition, or more commonplace? Thanks.
TerraLavoro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: L'uscita dalla messa

Post by Tessa78 »

According to tradition, throughout the entire first year of marriage the groom was not supposed to pay for any clothing for his wife. As a result, the bride's family would provide her with clothing, linens and accessories, as part of her dowry.

Perhaps the "special" dress was a sign of her family's status (and her's) when she attended mass as a married woman.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I don't know if this tradition was limited to your ancestral town or region, but during the week following the wedding, there was a tradition whereby the bride did not leave the house. She didn't do any housework either but was devoted only to her new husband. The week was somewhat like a honeymoon but, during this week, neighbors and friends would also stop by the house to hinder the couple from making love. Then, on the Sunday following the wedding, the bride was finally permitted to leave the house to go to church arm in arm with her new husband. So, I believe the dress your aunt wore ties in with this tradition.

Erudita
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Very interesting Tessa and Erudita, thank you both for that information.

The dress belonged to one of my GGMs and has been preserved all this time by my Aunt. We are thinking of donating it to a museum of immigration or Italian-American history. Since she arrived in Boston (avoiding Ellis Island intentionally), wondering what would be a good place? Would love to hear any suggestions.
TerraLavoro
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, some interesting info. Happy to help.
Erudita
Dalinda

Post by Dalinda »

This is extremely decent and better than average post....you shook posting it....thanks a ton for posting it....!! :P :roll: :twisted: