Ancient Vinchiaturo

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Ancient Vinchiaturo

Post by conno11 »

It seems like my family has lived in Vinchiaturo FOR MANY MANY MANY generations and so I did a little research on the food they ate and I stumbled on ancient Vinchiaturo they say it is the ancient city of Ruffino the Samnite city and I cant find anything on the city and its difficult because the Samnites were broken into different tribes (Pre Roman Empire) so I was wondering if any og you have any information on the city of Ruffino and what tribe was around or associated with the modern town of Vinchiaturo thanks! :))))))
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ancient Vinchiaturo

Post by conno11 »

This is a tough question IK but I need some help and any info that you guys have
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

See https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2s&cad=rjt

The origins of Vinchiaturo date back to the Age of of the Samnites. The Samnites built several cities in the area of the Matese Bojano, Saepinum, Marguzia, Aquilonia, Alife and RUFFIRIO.
At that time Ruffirio was a stronghold situated on the heights of the Monteverde and had to act as a lookout against any enemy attacks. Today only excerpts of the megalithic walls.
After the fall of Ruffirio, the Romans changed the name of the city in VINCLATORIUM since they built on the ruins a prison to lock up the Samnites rebels hostile to the command of the new masters.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

O WOW I dont know how you found this but thank you I can wait to look into the sites you provided thanks!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

I thought I already answered this question once before weeks ago, with the same information Liviomoreno gave you (in terms of the ancient information)

As I said then, the Samnite group that occupied the territory of Vinchiaturo, was the Pentri - one of the 4 people of the Samnite league. Which exact tribe of the Pentri I'm not sure, but there is no question it was Pentri territory.

Of course you must also keep in mind that before the Indo European colonization of Italy, Italy was still occupied by aborigina ("Pelasgi") peoples who were likely assimilated into the Pentri so you would also be related to these peoples (no way to know the ratio of pre-Indo European to Pentri population, but the Pentri culture and language became dominant), but there is no way to know who they were - only the non-IndoEuropeans whose culture survived the Indo-European Invasion are known, and none in the Samnite territory fall into this category.

I am attaching a map showing Vinchiaturo in red within the Samnite League territory: (pre-Founding of Rome) - its a lower quality version so it can fit in the forum.

I guarantee the most accurate borders you will find, because I have researched every single town in Italy (still ongoing, 2 years so far) to determine what people occupied its territory.

Blue: Pentri (People of the Mountains)
Green: Caraceni (aka. Carricini - People of the Stones/Rocks)
Purple: Hirpini
Orange: Caudini

Although beyond your paternal line (father's father's father's father etc.) and your mitochondrial line (mother's mother's mother's mother etc.) I wouldn't get caught up too much in specifics pre-1200s because chances are you are descended from most Italians pre-1200 and all Italians (and probably many beyond) who existed in the pre-Roman days (except those who did not reproduce)
Attachments
Anyone who wants a pre-Roman map of their hometown(s) and region, PM me.
Anyone who wants a pre-Roman map of their hometown(s) and region, PM me.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

Yes Thank you Anizio but I didnt think that you covered the ancient part of it :)
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Here's what I said before just to refresh:
From the town's website we learn the town was built on a steep limstone hill, and was known for its craftsmen. It was known at the time as Ruffirio.

During Rome's war with the Samnite league, Ruffirio was conquered an subjugated. It was used as a place where Rome sent other Samnite trouble makers who would not submit, turning the town into essentially a penal colony, and so its name was changed to Vincula Catenis, which essentially means "jail with chains" but is better interpreted as confinement without freedoms, and the freedoms were strictly limited by the Romans.
Also, on the political side, unlike the Latins and Etruscans, the Pentri, like most Osco-Umbrian groups, did not divide themselves into cities states and loose alliances of cities. While the Pentri did have "tribes" they did not each govern independently, instead each city and tribe was not separate from the whole and they were a unified political entity.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

This is crazy how you know all this! Do you have anymore info?!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

I can tell you that, out of the 4 members of the Samnite league, they were the most powerful. They were known for their bravery and fierceness in combat. They also contributed many men to the Legio Linteata; an elite group of warriors for all 4 members of the Samnite League. Following a scared ceremony they became part of a warrior caste devoted to making whatever sacrifice necessary to defend their people. It was this unit that gave Romans the most trouble.

According to Livy, it was an elite Legion of 16,000 warriors. Livy also claims that these men were taken from people who did not volunteer. They were forcibly conscripted and force to devote themselves to "the revenge of Jupiter." These men had intense discipline and anyone who retreated away from battle, without there being a call to retreat, were tortured and at times subjected to the death penalty.

However, Livy's account isn't accurate for certain, as he also claims this elite legion used armour and weapons of Gold and Silver which would have taken a lot of money and resource, and the Samnite's were not known for their wealth. Others have theorized that they wore armour similar to Greek Hopilites.

Once subjugated by Rome this elite Legion was disbanded. The Pentri were not known as the fiercest warriors among Rome's subjects, that honour went to the Marsi who worshiped the god Mars, but they were still respected.

They remained loyal to Rome and fought against Hannibal's invasion.
But during the Social War, the Pentri joined with the rebels led by the Marsi in an attempt to form a new power, "Italy," to counter the growing power of Rome.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

Ok so they joined Rome then left? Then did Rome take it over when they became a empire?? :?:
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

They never left. They joined the rebels in the Social War.
But the rebels lost.

That kind of more general history is easily accessible through wikipedia, and by reading the actual books written by Roman historians.

ie. Appian, "Civil Wars" which was written about 100 years after the Social War.
conno11
Rookie
Rookie

Post by conno11 »

OK well this is great information Thanks again Anizio!