migration of people within Sicily - in the 1800

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
pdchenderson13
Rookie
Rookie

migration of people within Sicily - in the 1800

Post by pdchenderson13 »

so far I'm researching my Caruso family in Canicatti. Rosario Caruso and Margherita (la) Barbera both born in Palermo, (Zito I think) were then married in Canicatti. I doubted this was the same people, as couldn't understand why they would marry in Canicatti, as its not on the doorstep of Palermo. I double checked certificates and it is correct. They did marry in Canicatti

I know there were sulphur mines in Canicatti and from speaking with my father his uncles worked in them. Is there any way of checking if there were migration of Palermo families to Canicatti?
I read about the "Carusi" the boys of the mines, and its fascinating....Does anyone have anymore information?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carusu

Grazie...
Grazie Patrizia
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: migration of people within Sicily - in the 1800

Post by Anizio »

as far as I'm aware there are not really records of migrations. You may check the atti di cittadinanza, but the real way is really just vital records, notary records, wills, etc. and just finding that way that people moved. Heck our ancestors migrated back and forth and around more than we will ever have proof of.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: migration of people within Sicily - in the 1800

Post by PippoM »

Do you have documents that prove their birth in Palermo?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.