Name Day and birthdays

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
CiaoBella1313
Rookie
Rookie

Name Day and birthdays

Post by CiaoBella1313 »

Do Italians celebrate their name/saint day like Americans would celebrate their birthday?

If they celebrate on their saint day, what about their birthday? Do they do both or just one? That would be like having two birthdays.

Is it common to have a big party for a certain year like 18, 21,30, etc?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Name Day and birthdays

Post by Italysearcher »

May adults celebrate their name day and not their birthday. It's just easier for others to remember. Not necessarily gifts, but at least an 'auguri' and yes, sometimes it is like having two birthdays.
Big parties are common for 18 but not 21. 40 is probably the next big one, at least in our family. After that it depends on economics.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Name Day and birthdays

Post by jennabet »

My significant other's name is Joe. Yesterday morning, March 19, I took him out to the bar for a Cappuccino and a Zeppole, the traditional pastry of Festa di San Giuseppe. He and other bar patrons also named Giuseppe were receiving well wishes all around. For lunch I made him his favorite pasta and a big roast.