Where to find military history for family story?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Where to find military history for family story?

Post by Scarlett227 »

There is a story in our family that one of our relatives from Italy, a 2xgreat uncle, was a hero in the Ethiopian War, and "rode in a parade in Rome with the Queen." I believe this was the first of the two wars, and King Victor Emanuelle was in leadership. My uncle's name was George (prob. Giorgio) Randazzo. The family was from Santa Margherita di Belice, now in Sicily.

I'd like to verify (or not) the story, but so far nothing has turned up on the internet under his name. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look? I don't speak or read Italian, so if there are some good historical or military websites, hopefully they can be translated.

Thanks!
Searching for: Mastronardi (Pietrelcina), D'Auria (Ariano), Ciaccio (Santa Margherita di Belice) and Prizzi (Menfi).
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Where to find military history for family story?

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hmmmm..have you written to the state archives in Italy for a copy of your great great uncle's military records? You would need to know his birth year and the town in which he was born.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

I think I know the town, but not the birth year. I'll see if I can track that down on the microfilms, and then I can write to the state. Thank you for the lead!
Searching for: Mastronardi (Pietrelcina), D'Auria (Ariano), Ciaccio (Santa Margherita di Belice) and Prizzi (Menfi).
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if your Giorgio Randazzo was born in Santa Margherita Belice between 1873 and 1902, his military record can be found at Archivio di Stato di Agrigento.
The people working there are very nice and professional, I have dealt with them once.
Since the war in Ethiopia was on 1935, maybe he was born later, in this case you need to contact the following address

Distretto militare
Ufficio Matricola
Piazza Indipendenza 7
90129 Palermo

cedoc_palermo@esercito.difesa.it (no spaces)

The Distretto militare don't reply soon, due to big amount of requests.

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
hunter42

Post by hunter42 »

My forth Great-Grandfather was Giorgio Randazzo from Santa Margherita di Belice. Do you have anymore information to give to see if we are family? I know his wife's name and their childrens.
fisherfive

Post by fisherfive »

Can anyone identify this picture of my Grand Uncle's military uniform? He was from L'Aquila, Italy. Not sure if it is dated to WWI, Calvary, or other. Any help?
fisherfive

Can you identify these military uniforms? fisherfive

Post by fisherfive »

dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

Scarlett227
I noticed on your signature line, you are searching for D'Auria (Ariano). Do you mean Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino? My grandmother's cousin Angela married an Eugenio d'Auria, they were from Ariano di Puglia.

Donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/