Calogero Vitanza - name meaning

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cmv4

Calogero Vitanza - name meaning

Post by cmv4 »

I have been scouring the internet to try to verify my understanding of the meaning of my name, and this seems like a good site to try to determine if what I have found is right.

My name is Charles (Calogero) Vitanza. This name has been passed down in my family for 4 generations (My Great-Grandfather was born in Raculmuto, Sicily).

Of the translation, my understanding is that:

-Calogero is derived from Greek. "Kalos" meaning "beautiful" and "Geron" meaning "elder". Pretty certain about this one, though there are small variations (venerable, noble for Kalos, old age for Geron)

-Vitanza is Italian in nature. "Vita" meaning "life" and "-anza" meaning "against", making my last name mean "against life" or basically "of death".

I am fairly sure of the meaning for Calogero, but not as positive about Vitanza.

Anyone able to clear this up?

Thanks.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Calogero Vitanza - name meaning

Post by PeterTimber »

Vitanza is derived from the base surname VITA. Other variations are Vida and De Vita. Vita is prevalent in the south of Italy while Vida is rare.

Vita like Vitale and Vivante comes from late latin and medieval times and is quite common as well among Jewish families as a traditon of the Hebrew name and surname "hayyim= of life and life". =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Calogero is(was) popular in Sicily. Here is some info.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/calogero
dnnisgomez

Post by dnnisgomez »

Hi,

My name is Dennis Gomez. I have been searching for any information on the Vitanza family. My great grand father was from sicily, Messina. Give me a message and we can discuss it. He was born in 1887. He came to America in 1905.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PeterTimber wrote:Vitanza is derived from the base surname VITA. Other variations are Vida and De Vita. Vita is prevalent in the south of Italy while Vida is rare.

Vita like Vitale and Vivante comes from late latin and medieval times and is quite common as well among Jewish families as a traditon of the Hebrew name and surname "hayyim= of life and life". =Peter=
As Peter described, the base surname is VITA.
The "-anza" is more of a suffix than another word, and is similar to our suffix "-ance", used to denote "a way of being, a condition, a characteristic."
-Vitanza is Italian in nature. "Vita" meaning "life" and "-anza" meaning "against", making my last name mean "against life" or basically "of death".

I would interpret the meaning of "Vitanza" as "lively", rather than "from death." :-)

T.
mariea1

Post by mariea1 »

Hi My understanding of the name Calogero in the Sicilian dialect is lily (the flower )My grandmother, Maria Vitanza Ingrassia had a brother Calogero Vitanza who came to the USA in the 1900s and lived for a time in Pittsburgh. They lived in Longi about 20 miles from S Agata. Does any of this sound familiar ? Best regards
timv

Post by timv »

mariea1 wrote:Hi My understanding of the name Calogero in the Sicilian dialect is lily (the flower )My grandmother, Maria Vitanza Ingrassia had a brother Calogero Vitanza who came to the USA in the 1900s and lived for a time in Pittsburgh. They lived in Longi about 20 miles from S Agata. Does any of this sound familiar ? Best regards
Hi Maria, I believe the Calogero Vitanza you mentioned was my great grandfather. He was born Nov 25, 1886 and arrived in America in 1905, settling in Pittsburgh, where he lived until 1965. He and his wife Dorotea had 6 children and many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren. Many of us still reside in Pittsburgh, but we know very little about his family in Italy. In his naturalization papers he wrote that he came from St Agata, but perhaps he was using the closest larger town? In any case I am quite confident he was the only Calogero Vitanza to settle in Pittsburgh in the 1900's.

We have always wondered if Calogero (who changed his name to Charles) had brothers or sisters. It sounds like we've just discovered he had a sister, Maria! I would be most interested to lean more, including the names of Calogero and Maria's parents.
timv

Post by timv »

A few corrections to my earlier post:

1) I meant to address the previous poster as mariea1, not Maria - sorry!
2) My great grandfather arrived in America in 1906, not 1905.
mariea1

Post by mariea1 »

Hi Timv I've been checking records for the past week and have to tell you my grandmother Maria Concetta Vitanza Ingrassia is not your Calogero Vitanza's sister. My grandmother's brother Calogero Vitanza remained in Sicily. I've learned a lot more about my family and also I think some things relating to your family. Look at the Ellis Island record for Giuseppe Vitanza and Maria Vitanza who arrived here Jan. 16 1911. Their destination is Pittsburgh and son Calogero Vitanza. I took this record to be my grandmother's - now I know it is not. My thought is that this is Calogero's father and sister. So he did have a sister named Maria. I saw a Joseph in your list of Calogero + Dorotea's children and this would follow the Sicilian naming tradition. Also. When your Calogero arrived in 1906, his destination was Pittsburgh and his uncle Giuseppe Iberna. Iberna may his mother's maiden name.Possible first names for her could be Rosetta or Concetta (Jennie). You should be able to find Calogero + Dorotea's marriage application in Pittsburgh and it will list their parents names. So - sorry for the confusion and good luck in your search !! Mariea
domevit

Post by domevit »

Hi Calogero,

I am so happy to read you . Sure we are cousin .
My name is Domenico Calogero Vitanza .
My family is originary from Racalmuto in sicily.
The father of my great father Giuseppe had one brother Calogero .
And I know that they emigrate in USA in 1911.
And than you are my family.
yes calogero is a typical sicilian name like Gerlando ( my son )
My ( our) great uncle Calogero Vitanza was the last Vitanza living in Racalmuto . He die in 1995.
But all our family (a part) lives now in Comitini 1àkm from Racalmuto and the rest lives in Belgium ( in Brussels).
I hope to have news from you and family .

BR

Vitanza Domenico