Lattanzi Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
IkedaT

Lattanzi Translation

Post by IkedaT »

All,

I've recently started delving into the Italian side of the family. Unfortunately, for me, all the record keepers were the first to pass away. I'm also running face first into a bunch of Anglicization issues where I'm not sure which direction to go.

What I know:
My Great-grandfather Alfonso came to the US sometime between 1904 and 1908. I found the immigration records showing he and his mother Anne/Anna (unknown lastname, thing Sanita or something close) should have come via Citta Di Napoli in 1905. A man by the name of Samuele Lattanzio arrived about 2 months earlier (I believe this was my great great grandfather coming to find family here before they came over as Alonfso would have been a baby and he supposedly had family here). They originated in Bellante but I'm not sure about further specifics.

The issue I'm having is no one can tell me my g.g. grandfathers name because it appears multiple ways (Tsaia, Sammuele, Sinne, Sinno) based on which record I'm looking at. Digging through storage I found the following letter. I took 2 shots of it. I'm having a very difficult time translating the strange (to my eyes) writing style. I'm hoping someone more familiar may be able to help. I tried Google Translate and it told me about what I already expected.

Thank you in advance, any help is more than I currently have. The site says I can only link 2024 pixels wide so I'm linking the URL instead.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7697_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5157_o.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Lattanzi Translation

Post by Tessa78 »

This is from the parish priest in Bellante
Dated 3 February 1914, attesting that Alfonso Lattanzi, son of Isaia (Lattanzi) and Anna Sanita(?) of this parish, was born to this legitimately married couple on 21 July 1904, and baptized on 24 July of the same year by the priest writing the record ... Par. ORESTE Dr Laurentis
The godfather was GIOVANNI Martini, and godmother was Filomena Cotenta, and was recorded in the parish register.

T.
IkedaT

Post by IkedaT »

Thank you for the translation. It proves that he has yet another name for my great great grandfather :) Is this common with immigration? It's the first time I've had to jump on a boat (most of the other members of the family are traceable via American records).

I ask because I have what is a request for naturalization (I assume that Alfonso waited the 10 year naturalization period before applying and that's the reason for the documentation). In the attached letter, Sanita Anna (notice the S there matches the T for the Tsaia). Again the handwriting throws me. I think in general Bellante and if I can figure out which specific church that'd be the direction to head.

I'm attaching the only other record I have of Tsaia, Isaia, Sammuel, Sinne, Sinno :)

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=549B1326
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

The attachment is a birth certificate stating that Alfonso Lattanzi was born on July 21st, 1904 in Bellante, the son of Isaia, and Anna Sanità.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
IkedaT

Post by IkedaT »

Wow, thank you so much! I didn't realize what I had apparently and Google translate leaves little to be desired (plus my inability to read cursive in another language).

Is there any way to determine if Anna Sanita is a first and last name or first and middle name?

I ask because she is having a similar issue as Sinne/Isaia. Her name changes. I've found her under Anna, Annie, Ann. Last name is anything from Sanita, Lattanzi, Latanze, Lattanze.

It's one thing to track down someone with an initial in their name. It's a completely different issue when you're watching it completely change from census to census.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

IkedaT wrote:Wow, thank you so much! I didn't realize what I had apparently and Google translate leaves little to be desired (plus my inability to read cursive in another language).

Is there any way to determine if Anna Sanita is a first and last name or first and middle name?

I ask because she is having a similar issue as Sinne/Isaia. Her name changes. I've found her under Anna, Annie, Ann. Last name is anything from Sanita, Lattanzi, Latanze, Lattanze.

It's one thing to track down someone with an initial in their name. It's a completely different issue when you're watching it completely change from census to census.
The mother's name is Anna (first name) and Sanità (maiden name)
Italian women keep their birth/maiden name, but would have been identified in some US records by her married name (Lattanzi)...

As for the spellings... much of the variation is due to the pronunciation (accent) of Italian immigrants, and if also illiterate, their inability to spell the name for the clerk recording the name for the record.

BTW - the birth record above was requested for "emigration to find work"

T.
IkedaT

Post by IkedaT »

Thanks Tessa! That's especially helpful.

I was able, using that information to find marriage record information on that line clear back to 1800. Isaia's side is still completely absent but thanks to ya'll's help I have much more of a tree than I had ever before. I'm now trying to hunt down his death certificate to see what information that has to offer.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

There is an Isaia Lattauzi (misspelling of last name on Ellis Island records search) who arrived aboard the Citta Di Torino which left Naples on Feb 18, 1905 and arrived in NY on March 1, 1905. He was age 26 and his destination was to a brother named Domenico in Philadelphia-address looks like 928 South 8th Street. He was from Ballante. Here's his passenger card from the Ellis Island website:

• First Name : Isaia
• Last Name : Lattauzi
• Nationality : Italy, Italian South
• Last Place of Residence : Bellante
• Date of Arrival : March 1st, 1905
• Age at Arrival : 26y
• Marital Status : Married
• Ship of Travel : Citta di Torino
• Port of Departure : Napoli
• Manifest Line Number : 0003

I tried to post a link to the actual manifest, but it didn't work. You will have to set up an account with a username and password and retrieve the passenger list yourself.

Erudita
IkedaT

Post by IkedaT »

It looks like that persons got a gap in their N's causing them to look like U's. I double checked the non-existence of Ballaute issue just in case :) Thank you so much Erudita. I've been looking for that for almost a year. I gave up after looking for them because the history just seemed to be lost. In just a week, you guys have helped me recover so much that was lost!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. I just hate the new Ellis Island beta site. I hope they change it.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I just found this marriage package for Isaia and Anna. Haven't had a chance to look it over yet. It is from Ballante

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,247881402

What you have here are records presented by Isaia and Anna for their marriage in 1903. The first record is her birth record-she was born on July 25, 1879 to Vincenzo Sanita and Angela Moretti. He was a farmer, age 52, living in Ripattoni. The birth took place in the frazione of the town of Mosciano S. Angelo in the house at #107 of this estate, farm, or property. Vincenzo appeared on the 27th to declare the birth.

The next two records are the first and second publications of marriage-dated Jun7th and June 14, 1903. The groom, Isaia Lattanzi, was age 25, never before married, and a peasant living in Bellante. He was the son of deceased Francescantonio Lattanzi and living Nicola Caporossi, a resident in Bellane. The bride, Anna Sanita, was age 24 at the time of the marriage. Her father was deceased but her mother was living. The actual marriage document is not here, but I believe that the marriage took place on June 18, 1903 based on the info in the various documents, but this may not be accurate.

The birth record of Isaia Lattanzi is dated on May 16, 1878, He was born on the 16th in the frazione Colisanto (?). I have to check further on this. His father, Francescantonio Lattanzi, was age 50, and a peasant at the time of his birth., His mother was Nicolina Caporossi.

Included with this packet is a certificate of poverty-which I understand means that the couple was too poor to pay the required fee to the town for the civil marriage, and so the town officials waived that fee.

So, even though we can't account for the missing years here in the U.S., now you have a little info on Isaia and his ancestry, and can confirm that Isaia was, in fact, his first name.

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great find Erudita! :-)

The frazione, I believe, is CHIARETO, a hamlet of the comune of Teramo.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I see what you're saying, T, and can even read the frazione as you've spelled it. The problem I am having though is that the birth extract is from the town of Bellante and not the town of Teramo and even the marriage publications indicate that Isaia was born in Bellante, so I expected the frazione to be associated with the town of Bellante, and not the town of Teramo, unless boundaries have changed over the years.

T-I am editing this to add the following:

I see that there was a Chiareto di Bellante which was a frazione of the town of Bellante

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellante

Glad that I thought to search for the marriage of Alfonso's parents, Got lucky, as not all years are available.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

T
From what I can tell, the Chiaretto which is a frazione del comune di Teramo, is spelled with two t's, whereas the frazione di Chiareto in the town of Bellante is only spelled with one.

Erudita
IkedaT

Post by IkedaT »

Funny story. While you guys went that direction (which is amazing by the way as what I've managed to come up with was far less amazing), I was trying to get the PA death record for Alfonso. Well my death record came up with a big fat nothing and I was I posted it on Facebook, another of my friends found this thread. Kind of funny.

Thank you both! You've found way more than I did in the same period. I figured I was going to have to go from his brother Domenico and figure out his family that way.

I just want to make sure to thank ya'll. You guys found way more information than I could have dreamed and it's super appreciated.