Help With Death Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Help With Death Record

Post by lbernard3 »

Hello-
I am having trouble with this death record. Here is a little background.
1) Here is the source info:
Year : 1898/ Part II No.4
Source Information
Ancestry.com. Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
Original data:Tribunali di Lagonegro e Potenza, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1938. Civil records collected from various towns throughout the province of Potenza, Basilicata, Italy.
2) The woman's name is Mariantonia Robilotta
3) She lived in Johnstown, PA or nearby Dysart, PA. I think the "Daris, W.VA" is really Dysart, PA and was married to Filippo Bavuso

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lou
Attachments
31751_221653-02667 (1).jpg
Researching family surnames are Bernardo/Robilotta from Gallicchio, Basilicata.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help With Death Record

Post by PeterTimber »

Are you familiar with the Italian Genealogy book titled Italian Genealogical Records by Traffor R. Cole which is an easy read chock full of illustrations,descriptions and explanations which will enable you to more easily achieve your research objectives. You don't say what is the cause of your problem but writing for a death certificate (fully described in the book) to the town Ufficio di Stato Civile may be sufficient for your needs. Please advise. Peter
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I doubt that the book suggested by Peter would help you with the translation of this non standard record :wink:
In few words:
On Aug 5 1898 in front of the Mayor of Gallicchio appeared Tommaso Conte to present a copy of the death record released on July 1st, 1897 by Dr Johanston in Davis W. Va in which he (Dr Johanston) certifies the death of Maria Antonia Robilo occurred in Davis W. Va on November 25 1896, the cause of death was fibroid uterus complicated by paresis, the deceased was the wife of Filippo Bavuso.
Tommaso Conte also presented the translation, certified by the Notary Carlo Calvosa(sp?), of the above death record, he also presented a declaration certified by the tribunal stating that the Maria Antonia Robilo named in the above death record is Mariantonia Robilotta, wife of Filippo Bavuso.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Thank you Livio. You are correct, I understand what the death record is and why it is in Part II. I was looking for help with the translation. I appreciate your help, especially with the Davis, W. Va. part.

Do you know why it would say Johnstown and then Davis, W. Va.?

Thank you-
Lou
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Johanston is the name of the Medical Doctor that certified the death
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Ok. Thank you.