Catanzaro Town Name: Abbreviation?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lydiatheys

Catanzaro Town Name: Abbreviation?

Post by lydiatheys »

Hello,

I am having a lot of difficulty reading the name of this town. It is listed twice on the ship manifest I am interested in because it appears that three people were traveling together and one was at the end of a page, so they rewrote the town of last residence at the top of the next page. This gives me two shots at it but I still can't make it out, even after looking for lists of comunes in Catanzaro.

I am assuming this is in Catanzaro, since that is what is listed for birthplace later on, although the ship sailed from Genoa and maybe these three women traveling together had lived somewhere near the sailing point for a while? I don't know.

I even tried looking for lists of towns beginning with Z because I think that first letter is a Z.
I also think that there may be a period after the name each time, not true of the other towns listed, so could it be an abbreviation?
looks like Ziuga?
looks like Ziuga?
Or Zinga?
Or Zinga?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Lydia
Towns: Scala Coeli in Cosenza, Crucoli in Crotone, Macchia Albanese and San Demetrio Corone in Cosenza, possibly Zagarese
Fazio, Amato, Leguori (Liguore), Merenda, Madera
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Re: Catanzaro Town Name: Abbreviation?

Post by TerraLavoro »

Sorry, I can't read it either.

Many shipping lines had sailings to NY that began in Genoa, then made stops at Naples, Palermo, Gibraltar along the way. My point is, do not assume residence according to the initial departure port of any particular voyage. Italians went to Le Havre, Hamburg etc depending on the year, the need etc. If you like, give us the name of the passenger so we can look at a clear shot of the entire manifest page.
TerraLavoro
lydiatheys

Post by lydiatheys »

Thanks, TerrLavoro. That's an interesting point. I would appreciate it. Her name is Chiara Sacco. And you can see from the above that she arrived on Sep 15 1898 on the Kaiser Wilhelm from Genoa to NY. She is at the top of the page. Rosa Bartolotta at the bottom of the previous page is apparently from the same town.
Lydia
Towns: Scala Coeli in Cosenza, Crucoli in Crotone, Macchia Albanese and San Demetrio Corone in Cosenza, possibly Zagarese
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I believe this is ZINGA, a hamlet (frazione) of the commune of Casabona, Crotone province, in the Calabria region.

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:I believe this is ZINGA, a hamlet (frazione) of the commune of Casabona, Crotone province, in the Calabria region.

T.
I agree!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:I believe this is ZINGA, a hamlet (frazione) of the commune of Casabona, Crotone province, in the Calabria region.

T.
The town of Casabona would hold the records for Zinga, but there do not appear to be any records for Casabona online.

You can write directly to the Comune of Casabona to request a birth record for Chiara Sacco, if you think this is her place of birth.
ADDRESS:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Vittorio Emanuele, 16
88822 Casabona (KR)
Italy

You can also rent and view the records available from the LDS Family History Center near you.
It should be noted that the records would be listed with Province of Catanzaro because that was the Province within which Casabona was found. The Province of Crotone was established in 1992 from part of the Province of Catanzaro.

LDS listings for Casabona - many are missing and many are out of order
Years 1823-1912
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

T.

Hi Livio! :-D
Glad you agree...
lydiatheys

Post by lydiatheys »

Wow! You guys are pretty cool, you know that? Thank you so much!

I keep running into this Crotone issue, because my grandfather on the other side of my family was born in Crucoli which also is now in Crotone.

I am going to look into this more this weekend using all your information. I really appreciate it and keep trying to read threads to see if there is something I can help with. When I find something, I will certainly do so and "pay it forward."
Lydia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

lydiatheys wrote:Wow! You guys are pretty cool, you know that? Thank you so much!

I keep running into this Crotone issue, because my grandfather on the other side of my family was born in Crucoli which also is now in Crotone.

I am going to look into this more this weekend using all your information. I really appreciate it and keep trying to read threads to see if there is something I can help with. When I find something, I will certainly do so and "pay it forward."
Crucoli is about 19 km (a little over 11 miles) from Casabona :-)

T.