Famiglietti, Angiolina Death

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Famiglietti, Angiolina Death

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Numero 96 for a translation please.
Attachments
FamigliettiAngiolinaDeathNumero96image1139.jpg
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Famiglietti, Angiolina Death

Post by erudita74 »

Dated Dec 8, 1882 at 9:15 a.m. in Frigento
Declarants were Salvatore Iannuzzi, age 60, cabman, and Marciano Flammia, age 61, peasant. Both reported that at 3:25 a.m. yesterday, in the house at #17 via Limiti, Angiolina Famiglietti had died. She was age 4, single, and had been born and was resident in Frigento. The daughter of Giuseppe Famiglietti and Manddalena Famiglietti, both peasants in the town. Witnesses were Carmine Martone, age 35, and Nunziante Ciampi, age 27, both peasants in the town. The witnesses and town official signed the document. The declarants were illiterate and did not.

Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you, Erudita.
Grazie,

Dolores
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Erudita, I've noticed on some of the death records that the mother's last name is the same as the father's last name, can I assume that it is her maiden name also, or did the mother take the father's surname and drop her maiden name? (in this case ie; Famiglietti, is it her maiden name?)
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

It would be her father's surname (what we in the U.S. call a maiden name). Possibly the husband and wife were related to each other. My great grandparents from Matera Province had the same surname, and they ended up having common ancestry several generations earlier.
Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks. I've run across quite a few husbands and wives with the same surnames and I questioned it as it was my understanding that the females in Italy kept their maiden names and not their husband's, unlike what we do here in the US. However it seems more and more women here in the US are keeping their maiden names when they marry. It makes a lot of sense! :D
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Dolores
Actually one of my daughters-in-law here in the U.S. uses her maiden and not her married name due to her name on her professional license. One of my close friends uses her maiden name, followed by a hyphen, and then her married name. A woman maintaining her maiden name makes tracing her ancestry easier.
Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I agree.......
Grazie,

Dolores