Marriage Document for Furano and Gambaro

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dionisia517

Marriage Document for Furano and Gambaro

Post by dionisia517 »

I'm having a really difficult time translating this marriage document for Cesare Furano and Carolina Gambaro. Can somebody help me? Thanks! http://postimg.org/image/7zu9ylwnp/full/
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Document for Furano and Gambaro

Post by erudita74 »

Welcome to the forum. A very difficult document indeed.

Marriage record dated April 20, 1871 in Cleto, administrative district of Paola, Province of Calabria Citra at 4 P.M.
Bride:Carolina Gambara, age 21, peasant, never before married, living in Savuto Rione. (Savuto is a frazione or hamlet of Cleto). She was the daughter of living Raffaele Gambaro and living Carmela Caputo of the stated Rione.
Groom: Cesare Furano, age 22, landowner, never before married, son of deceased Lorenzo Furano and deceased Cristia(sp?) Nicoletta. He was also living in the frazione of Savuto.
Witnesses: Nicola Carlucci, of deceased Gaetano (Carlucci), landowner, age 60; Giacinto Furano, of deceased Michelangelo (Furano), age 56, landowner, Antonio Paradiso of deceased Giuseppe (Paradiso), age 46, butcher, and Gaetano Viola, of deceased Francesco (Viola), age 46, gentleman

In the document is the usual dialogue-do you take ...to be your husband?, do you take ..to be your wife?; in the name of the law, I pronounce that you are united in matrimony, etc

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I believe this marriage took place at the bride's home.

Also, the banns were posted on the 2 and 9 of the month.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, T, I agree with you that the marriage took place in the bride's house. That info is in the 2nd line of the beginning part of the record on the left page-"nella casa di abbitazione di Carolina." Also in the next to the last line, also in that section of the record, we get an address for that house. The record reads "in questa casa sudetto strada Sotto la Chiesa."-"in this house above on Strada Sotto la Chiesa." So the name of the street was "Sotto la Chiesa." I'm still trying to decipher more of the record as, toward the end of the second line in that same paragraph, I see the word "impedito"-referring to some hindrance.
Erudita
dionisia517

Post by dionisia517 »

Thank you so much, Erudita! That really helps. I think the word impedito you're referring to has to do with the Official, not the bride and groom, but the rest of the information is very useful. Thanks again!
dionisia517

Post by dionisia517 »

Thank you for your help, Teresa. I could not read this document for the life of me!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. Yes, the word impedito does appear in the document as part of the civil official's title. The marriage, however, would not normally have taken place in a home, so the fact that it did, suggests that there was something which prevented one of the spouses from appearing at the town hall where the civil ceremony would normally take place.
Erudita