Angela Pittorino Death Record 16.10.1909-Translation please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Angela Pittorino Death Record 16.10.1909-Translation please

Post by Chez.AU »

I have tried to upload the document but message received is that the file is too big. I have no idea then how to supply you with this document, other than copy and paste the information that Adelfio found for me on 2 Nov 2014.

Thanks in advance.

INDEX#10
1909 Oct 16th in the town of Leni death of Angela Pittorino age 15 born in Leni daughter of deceased Gaetano Pittorino and Angela Calaio'
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179082901
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Angela Pittorino Death Record 16.10.1909-Translation ple

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

Your link isn't working. You don't have the complete address. Best way to do this is to right click on the address bar, click on "copy" and then just paste as usual. You are more likely to get the complete address that way :)

Here is your link: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179082901
Angela

Death Record No 10: Angela Pittorino di Gaetano (of Gaetano)

Date of Record: 16 October 1909, 6.20 pm, Leni
Before the official appeared Bartolo Pittorino, 66, marinaro (sailor) and Bartolo Butta, 58, marinaro (sailor) both living in Leni. They declared that at 3 am today (16 October) at a house in Leni (no address given), Angela Pittorino, aged 15, casalinga (housewife), residing in Leni and born in Leni, daughter of the late Gaetano, marinaro, who lived in Leni (when alive) and Angela Calaio, housewife, living in Leni, died. She was nubile (single/unmarried).

Witnesses: Giacomo Costa, 63, contadino (farmer) and Antonino Calaio, 56, contadino (farmer) both residing in this town.
Angela
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

Hi Angela,

Thanks very much for that, and I shall gain the url directly from the website next time.

I guess there's no way of finding out how she died?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome for the help.

The death records don't usually indicate how the deceased died. I thought you might be interested in searching through graves at the Leni Cemetery (or not?). It looks like there are still oldish graves there. You may find an ancestor still buried there. Here is one for a Gaetano Pittorino who died 1911 but of course it won't be Angela's father as he had already passed away before Angela's death in 1909.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =Pittorino
Use this link to search: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... id=2208634

Angela
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

Thanks again Angela. I think I've found Angela's grave, but on a different site. Not sure if we can post links here?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Chez.AU wrote:Thanks again Angela. I think I've found Angela's grave, but on a different site. Not sure if we can post links here?
That would be great if you have. You could try posting the link and to see if it works. Otherwise you could maybe try downloading it to your computer and then posting it here as an attachment. Which site is it?

I've just had a quick read through your original thread and hopefully I'm following it correctly.
I just wanted to mention something that I noticed on Angela's birth record, which Marty found for you. At the time of Angela Pittorino's birth in 1894, her father Gaetano was unable to present the child because he was in Buenos Aires (Argentina). Might it be possible that he died in Buenos Aires? Just a thought.

Birth Record Index 31: Angela Pittorino
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,179184001
Angela
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

That's interesting about the father & adds another layer to the mystery. I shall now see if I can find something in the Argentinian records. Thankyou for passing on that information!

This is the website for the graves in Leni Cemetery (Sue Lopes is actually related to me somehow as well, she lives in Australia as well)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /index.htm

I believe Angela's grave is on the last row on the far left, only her name reads Angelina here. It appears she was buried with her maternal grandfather if I'm correct.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Death Record Giovanni Calaio 1905

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Fantastic! Great find.

Here is Giovanni's Death Record:

Death Record No 5: Giovanni Calaio (son of deceased Felice)
Recorded 2 February 1905, 4.20 pm, Leni.

Appearing was Bartolo Pittorino, 60, marinaro (sailor), and Bartolo Butta, 50, marinaro (sailor), both living in Leni. They reported that at 10.20 am today (2 February 1905) Giovanni Calaio, 79, possidente (landowner), born and residing in Leni died. He was the son of the late Felice Calaio, contadino (farmer) and the late Maria Pittorino, casalinga, (lady of the house), who both lived in Leni when alive. Giovanni Calaio was the widower of Angela Pittorino.

Witnesses: Giacomo Costa, 50, contadino (farmer) and Antonino Schepisi, 50, falegname (joiner/carpenter).

Re: the headstone – the inscription is lovely. If I am reading this correctly, for Angela it says “exemplary young woman” (Giovanetta Esemplare) and for Giovanni it says “loving father hardworking and honest” (Padre affettuoso laborioso ed onesto).

Good luck looking through the Argentinian records. I did have a quick search yesterday but didn't find anything. I also looked through some passenger lists to Argentina. There were quite a few Pittorino's from Leni but no Gaetano.
Angela :D
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

How I wish I could speak Italian. Thankyou so much, I now have another generation above Giovanni (and wife Angela Pittorino), plus now have Giovanni Calaio''s death record.

I had no joy researching Gaetano Pittorino jnr (b. 22.06.1856) either. A while ago I checked ship manifests to America, given the story we were told that the son (Giovanni b. 10.12.1889) had migrated there around the time of his sister Maria's departure to Australia with their mother, thinking that the father may have gone there earlier perhaps. I checked census records for Argentina (and America) also with no success. It seems he has just fallen off the planet.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome. I did recheck some of the links, which I have access to, for passenger records, deaths etc last evening, using phonetic spellings of the surname etc, but didn't find anything. What you might like to do is start a new thread for each of these men, with all the info you have about each of them, and maybe one of the other forum members, with access to Ancestry.com and other sites, may have other strategies for figuring this out. Failing that, maybe someone in the future will chance upon the threads and have some info to share.

I've located the death record for Bartolo Pittorino, Gaetano's grandfather, so have edited your other thread. His wife Giuseppa Defina had already died by 1873 so I am picking she must have died prior to 1866 (or during 1867 – this year appears to be missing). Related thread: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... 86#p221886
Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Chez.AU wrote: A while ago I checked ship manifests to America, given the story we were told that the son (Giovanni b. 10.12.1889) had migrated there around the time of his sister Maria's departure to Australia with their mother, thinking that the father may have gone there earlier perhaps. I checked census records for Argentina (and America) also with no success. It seems he has just fallen off the planet.
I've spent some more time on this today and have found Giovanni's death record and some other info. I need to dash out the door shortly so will post Giovanni's death record and translation later. There was also another sister which I will also post. Must dash.
Angela :D
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Death Records Giovanni Pittorino and First Born Maria France

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Chez.AU wrote:
A while ago I checked ship manifests to America, given the story we were told that the son (Giovanni b. 10.12.1889) had migrated there ......
Giovanni died in 1890 aged 10 months. It's a bit of a mystery. I've checked the birth indices to see whether there was another Giovanni born to this couple but have been unable to find. There are however two years missing from the birth records. I've edited your other thread as well.

Death Record No 14 Image 829: Giovanni Pittorino (son of) Gaetano
Recorded 6 November 1890, 10.30 am, Salina Leni
Appearing were Domenico Costa, 56, farmer, and Giovanni Russo, 53, farmer both living in Leni to report that at 6.20 am today Giovanni Pittorino died. He was aged 10 months, born and residing in Leni. His parents were Gaetano Pittorino, marino and Angela Calaiò, lady of the house, both living in Leni. Giovanni was Celibe – single/unmarried.
Witnesses: Antonino Taranto, 60, farmer and Gaetano Cincotta, 56, farmer.

There were two Maria Francesca's born to Gaetano and Angela. The first one died aged 19 days:

DEATH RECORD NO 7: MARIA FRANCESCA PITTORINO DI GAETANO
Recorded 14 May 1888, 4.30 pm, Salina Borgata Leni Valle di Chiesa e Rinella
Appearing were Bartolomeo Pittorino, 40, marino - sailor, and Gaetano Pittorino, 70, farmer, both living Leni, to report that at 2.10 am today, Maria Francesca Pittorino died. She was aged 19 days, born and residing in Leni, daughter of Gaetano Pittorino, marino, and Angela Calaiò, lady of the house, both living in Leni. Maria Francesca was Nubile – single/unmarried.
Witnesses: Giovanni Russo, 50, and Domenico Costa, 70, both farmers residing in this town.
Angela
Chez.AU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chez.AU »

Hi, I haven't checked here for a few days, so now I need to get my head around the above information, which at the moment is confusing