Can someone assist me with translating these documents?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Can someone assist me with translating these documents?

Post by typeogirl »

This morning I found these two 1911 marriage certificates on http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/. I was excited to see that some documents from Ragusa were added.

Giovanni Augello and Carmella Augello are siblings. I want to learn how to read these documents for myself so I don't have to keep bothering people.

What is the marriage date? Are their birth dates listed-or birthplace? Are their parents listed? I think their home addresses are on there but I cannot be sure.

What is the difference between 1) Matrimoni, 2) Matrimoni, Allegati, 3) Matrimoni, pubblicazioni and 4) Matrimoni, pubblicazioni allegati. They all have the same years listed but I don't understand what the difference is between the categories.

I have attached the two documents to this post. Thank you so much everyone!
Attachments
Arena & Augello Marriage Document
Arena & Augello Marriage Document
Augello & Criscione Marriage Document
Augello & Criscione Marriage Document
dmt1955
Master
Master

Re: Can someone assist me with translating these documents?

Post by dmt1955 »

pubblicazione di matrimonio - is the marriage ban or the intention to marry. it is posted in the town to publicize teh couples' intention
the allegati is the collection of documents, such as birth and death records or their extracts
atti di matrimonio - is the actual marriage act

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... anslations
this link translates the boilerplate language of the pubblicazione.

#45 dated 28 jan 1911
Arena Vincenzo Giovanni, age 34, mason, residing in Ragusa, of deceased Santo, muratore (mason), residing in Ragusa in life and of Agnello Giuseppa, housewife, residing in Ragusa
Angeello Carmello, unmarried, age 28, housewife, residing in Ragusa, of Giovanni, stagnino (tinsmith), residing in Ragusa, and Aggius?? Maria Angela, housewife, residing in Ragusa
marriage bann posted on 5 Feb and 9th feb

8 Apr 1911,
Augello Giuseppe Giovanni, age 21, shoemaker, residing in Ragusa, unmarried, son of Giovanni, tinsmith, residing in Ragusa and of Aggius Vella Maria Angela, housewife, residing in Ragusa; to Criscione Giuseppa, unmarried, age 19, residing in Ragusa, daughter of deceased Paolo, residing in Ragusa in life, and the living Iacono Marianna, housewife residing in Ragusa

banns posted 9 Apr and 16 Apr.

donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I want to learn how to read these documents for myself so I don't have to keep bothering people.
It is no bother :-) That is what we do!

Here is an Instructional Guide to Italian Records... :-)

http://italiangenealogy.com/italian-records-extraction

T.
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

Thank you thank you thank you!

How far in advance were the the banns posted before the couple could get married?

Can someone help me translate this document? I know the couple were both widowers. This is the 2nd marriage for my g-g-grandmother. I am so excited I found this because I can find the parents names for Marianna. I also was told Nicolo was some sort of musician, not sure if this is in the document.

Does this document list the deceased spouse?

I appreciate everyone's help so much!
Attachments
giardina_iacono_secondmarriage_certificate.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

typeogirl wrote:Thank you thank you thank you!

How far in advance were the the banns posted before the couple could get married?

Can someone help me translate this document? I know the couple were both widowers. This is the 2nd marriage for my g-g-grandmother. I am so excited I found this because I can find the parents names for Marianna. I also was told Nicolo was some sort of musician, not sure if this is in the document.

Does this document list the deceased spouse?

I appreciate everyone's help so much!
Banns were usually posted for 2 consecutive Sundays, and in some cases, an additional posting on Thursday. I have seen marriages which took place on the next Sunday.

The marriage document identifies:
Groom: Nicolò Giardina, a widower, age 54, and a shoemaker (calzolaio)
His parents were deceased Francesco, a sieve-maker (crivaio); and deceased Giorgia Lissandrello, both residents of Ragusa.
Bride: Marianna Iacono, widow, age 48, housewife.
Her parents were deceased Luciano, a cart-driver (carrettiere); and deceased Giorgia Guastella.

Date of marriage was 7 January 1912 at 4 PM
Banns posted on 24 and 31 December of the preceding month.

Deceased spouses not mentioned, but you might find them in the request for publication of the banns (Pubblicazione) or in the Allegati (attachments to the record)

T.