Translation of don and donna

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rp76226
Master
Master

Translation of don and donna

Post by rp76226 »

I sometimes see the uncapitalized word of "don" before an Italian male name and "donna" before an Italian female name. What do those words mean?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Translation of don and donna

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

My understanding from what I have read is that they are titles of respect given to individuals who were of high social standing within a community – people of great wealth, education etc. It was often given to people such as property owners, priests, doctors, lawyers etc. The words Don and Donna translate to Lord and Lady.
Angela
Macklemore

Post by Macklemore »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:My understanding from what I have read is that they are titles of respect given to individuals who were of high social standing within a community – people of great wealth, education etc. It was often given to people such as property owners, priests, doctors, lawyers etc. The words Don and Donna translate to Lord and Lady.
Angela
Exactly, beautiful explanation! :wink:
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you Macklemore! I am pleased that I both understood correctly and explained it so that it was understood :D Welcome to the Forum Macklemore!
Angela :)