* Italian to English translation help!!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmdione

* Italian to English translation help!!

Post by dmdione »

Hello, I am trying to understand this birth certificate. I can translate most all of the pre-typed words, but I am having problems reading/translating the hand written parts. The hand written paragraph in the first section is the most difficult. I am looking to translate word for word so I can include the exact translated meaning in a family book I am writing.

It's my understanding that this baby was abandoned and given the name listed.

Thank you very much!

Dave Dione
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Re: * Italian to English translation help!!

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Have you posted an image of this birth certificate?
Grazie,

Dolores
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

I did, but I don't see it here. I will try again.

Thanks
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

I added a link here: www.dmdione.com/cert.jpg
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I bow to one of the seasoned translators as I could not do word for word. I am sure that now that you have posted the image, someone will help you!
Grazie,

Dolores
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

Thank you. I would appreciate any translation you can offer. The end result will be word for word, but for now, I welcome any input.

Thanks,
Dave
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I'm very sorry but all that is jumping out at me is that the birth was in the Comune of Popoli, Gabriele Dione?
Grazie,

Dolores
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

And it is a very interesting record. I know someone will help!
Grazie,

Dolores
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

From what I can translate, there is no mother or father listed due to the baby being abandoned.

Thank you for helping!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Gabriele Dione was abandoned in the foundling wheel, in Popoli, on the 29th of January 1843. Name and surname were imposed by the Official.
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

Thank you. What do you mean by the foundling wheel?
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

Ahh, never mind. I just researched what foundling wheel means. Thank you! Is that information in the hand written paragraph?
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

Here is a literal transcription of the hadwritten paragraph.

….the said child was found last night in the foundling wheel of this Comune with a swaddling band and fasciatoio of linen and a double fasciatoio of wool, without any apparent distinguishing marks on the body. We the officials of the state, after having examined the child, whom we have verified to be a boy, of about one day of age, have given the order that he be delivered to Don Giostefano Antonucci, the deputy for foundlings.

The word “fasciatoio” today is translated as a change table, but I’m not sure what it’s meaning was in 1843. Sounds like some extra swaddling cloths. It sounds like this baby’s family was well off. I’ve seen records where babies were left with torn rags. Let me know if there are any other parts you need help with.

MaryMena
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

WOW! Thank you Mary! I have translated most of the rest with Google translate. I plan on posting my translated portion here as well once complete. Maybe you could look it over and see if it makes sense?

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Dave
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

Mary, I added your translation to mine and have pasted it here. How does it look? Some of it flows nicely - other parts, not so much. Thank you!

The year one thousand eight hundred forty-three of the twenty-ninth of the month of January at eighteen ahead of us , Domenico Villa Mayor and an officer of the civil state of the town of Popoli , District Solmoria Province of Aquila , appeared John Cancelirio years quaran-five professional farmer domiciled in Popoli, which presented us with a the projectile Malchio secondocchè we recognized , and stated that the same is the said child was found last night in the foundling wheel of this Comune with a swaddling band and fasciatoio of linen and a double fasciatoio of wool, without any apparent distinguishing marks on the body. We the officials of the state, after having examined the child, whom we have verified to be a boy, of about one day of age, have given the order that he be delivered to Don Giostefano Antonucci, the deputy for foundlings.
by nat (blank) years (blank)
by profession (blank)
domiciled in (blank)
Is from (blank)
years (blank) by profession (blank)
domiciled in (blank) in days (blank)
of the month of (blank) year (blank)
at (blank) in the house (blank)
The same is also said to give the newborn
the name and surname of Gabriele Dione.
The presentation , and the aforementioned statement was made the presence of Battista Paolini years frentaquattro professional farmer regnicolo, domiciled in Popoli.
And Nicola D' Angiolo of forty- anna regnicolo farmer by profession, domiciled in Peoples witnesses intervened to This Act , and ess Mr John Cancelmo products .
This Act , which we formed all uopo , is was inscribed SEPRA the two registers , read the declarant .

INDICATION

The day he was ammintrato the Sacrament of Battersimo .

The year one thousand eight hundred forty-three of the Henta the month of Gennajo the pastor of Popoli He returned to the frenta the month of Gennajo current year the notamento , we have put the in the twenty-ninth day the month of Gennajo current year controscritto of birth pir in which he baptized and it was administered to ?????? jetto Gabriele Dione in the twenty-ninth day

In view of such a notamento after we have it encrypted willing , that was preserved in the volume of documents sheet . ????? we also charged to the parraco receipt of the same , and we formed the present act , which was written in both Registers in the corresponding margin birth certificate , and
then we signed him .

L ' Ufiziale state civil
J. Villa .