Martone, Vito Death

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Martone, Vito Death

Post by dmurphy1940 »

#95 for a translation please.

I can't seem to attach a file, has something changed?

(error parsing server response)
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Martone, Vito Death

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This happens to me sometimes too. You can send me the attachment if you like and I'll see if I can post it for you. I'll send you a pm in a minute. If the image is online then just indicate what year you are looking at and I will see if I can find it quickly - I'm understanding that it isn't on line though.
Angela :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks, Angela.
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

No 95 Vito Martone Death Record
Recorded on 3 October 1866, 4 pm, Frigento
Carmine Cipriano, son of Luigi, 27, ?, and Giuseppe, del Vicario, son of Bruno, 37, ​​?, both living in Frigento, no relation to the deceased reported:

Vito Martone died on 2 October, 5 pm, Frigento at his parent's home. He was 15, contadino, living in Frigento, son of Michele, Agricoltore and Maria d'Avino, contadina both living in Frigento.

I'll see if I can attach the image you sent, if not I will post the link that I've found.

I don't think it has attached. It came up with an exclamation mark within a triangle :?

Here's the link so someone can check over and fill in the occupation gaps:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1067099068

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:No 95 Vito Martone Death Record
Recorded on 3 October 1866, 4 pm, Frigento
Carmine Cipriano, son of Luigi, 27, tamburino - drummer, percussionist??, and Giuseppe, del Vicario, son of Bruno, 37, cafettiere (caffettiere) - coffee maker, coffee roaster​​?, both living in Frigento, no relation to the deceased reported:

Vito Martone died on 2 October, 5 pm, Frigento at his parent's home. He was 15, contadino, living in Frigento, son of Michele, Agricoltore and Maria d'Avino, contadina both living in Frigento.

I'll see if I can attach the image you sent, if not I will post the link that I've found.

I don't think it has attached. It came up with an exclamation mark within a triangle :?

Here's the link so someone can check over and fill in the occupation gaps:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1067099068

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you for going above and beyond, Angela! I appreciate it.

I wonder why the image does not post? Is it the image or is it a problem on ItalGen's end? Maybe someone will know...........
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thank you for going above and beyond, Angela! I appreciate it.

I wonder why the image does not post? Is it the image or is it a problem on ItalGen's end? Maybe someone will know...........
Happy to help Dolores.

I'm not sure about the image not posting. I have noticed that others are also having issues. I might pm one of the administrators about it.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's some info on the occupation "caffettiere" that I previously posted on the forum-

Caffettiere was a proprietor of a coffee house. He sold coffee within his establishment and might have workers who would deliver coffee to individuals in their apartments, places of businesses, etc. Most of these coffeehouses came into existence by the mid 18th century. Some even had rooms in the back or upstairs where there might be illegal gambling, illicit sex with prostitutes, etc. These establishments might be frequented by members of the various classes, from the lowest workers to the most elite. Even local priests might go there to enjoy the coffee and participate in discussions which took place there. These discussions might involve local neighborhood gossip, as well as politics and other events of the day.

Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Very interesting, Erudita. Thank you!
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're welcome, Dolores. Happy to share.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for providing the information about the Caffettiere, Erudita. As always, it is very interesting and helpful. I have added this to the Italian occupation list I keep.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I found this thread here about the occupation Caffettiere which you might be interested in Dolores. The meaning is a little different. Different time setting maybe.
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... re#p207358

Here is what it says:

“The link below gives a slightly different view of the occupation. It is written in Italian, and my English translation is below that:

http://www.napoligrafia.it/tradizioni/m ... ttiere.htm

A cafettiere was a coffee seller. He walked around the streets of the city at night, when bars and cafés were now closed, but the city was still populated by those working in the theater or in the cinema. He also sold to those who got up too early in the morning before the bars and cafes opened. He had a container in which to hold the coffee, the cups, sugar and, sometimes, even liquor to put in the coffee. He usually attracted his customers by crying out in Italian things like “it’s a long night- warm yourself with a good cup of coffee.”

Erudita”

Angela :D
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

That too, is interesting, thank you.
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are welcome Dolores. I thought that it was really interesting too. This might be a later time frame? So, briefly, Caffettiere - a person who sells coffee :wink:
Angela
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I agree with the later time frame, Angela.:)
Grazie,

Dolores