Sgroi & Lo cicco Translate please & thank you

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Sgroi & Lo cicco Translate please & thank you

Post by stokkster1 »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,352218601

Question when there are a bunch of names at the bottom with dates is that because it is a second marriage with kids?
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Sgroi & Lo cicco Translate please & thank you

Post by carubia »

I had replied to this yesterday but then apparently my post was lost with all the other posts from that day, so I'm posting this again in case you missed it.

This is a not a second marriage for either bride or groom, since they are both listed as not previously married (celibe/nubile). Rather, all the children listed at the bottom were born to this couple and they were legitimized through the marriage. If you look at their birth records you'll probably also see there a note in the margin to the same effect.

This is the translation of the important parts:
On 26 May 1896,
Salvatore Sgroi, unmarried, age 50, farmer, born and residing in this town (S. Giuseppe Jato), son of Giuseppe, residing in S. Giuseppe, and the deceased Vita Bono,
married
Carmela Lo Cicero, unmarried, age 42, homemaker, born and residing in this town, daughter of the deceased Marcantonio and living Rosa Graziano, residing in S. Giuseppe.

Their 7 children (4 boys, 3 girls) who were legitimized were:
1. Giuseppe, born 20 Jul 1874, birth record #121
2. Marco Antonio, born 28 Sep 1876, birth record #191
3. Giuseppe, born 1 Jun 1879, birth record #114(?)
4. Vita, born 24 Jan 1882, birth record #42
5. Antonino, born 25 Dec 1884, birth record #418
6. Rosa, born 28 Jan 1892, birth record #116 [that number seems too high]
7. Providenza, born 1 Nov 1895, birth record #301

It's kind of odd that they bothered to list the 1st Giuseppe, who probably died before the 2nd Giuseppe was born.
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

carubia wrote:I had replied to this yesterday but then apparently my post was lost with all the other posts from that day, so I'm posting this again in case you missed it.

This is a not a second marriage for either bride or groom, since they are both listed as not previously married (celibe/nubile). Rather, all the children listed at the bottom were born to this couple and they were legitimized through the marriage. If you look at their birth records you'll probably also see there a note in the margin to the same effect.

This is the translation of the important parts:
On 26 May 1896,
Salvatore Sgroi, unmarried, age 50, farmer, born and residing in this town (S. Giuseppe Jato), son of Giuseppe, residing in S. Giuseppe, and the deceased Vita Bono,
married
Carmela Lo Cicero, unmarried, age 42, homemaker, born and residing in this town, daughter of the deceased Marcantonio and living Rosa Graziano, residing in S. Giuseppe.

Their 7 children (4 boys, 3 girls) who were legitimized were:
1. Giuseppe, born 20 Jul 1874, birth record #121
2. Marco Antonio, born 28 Sep 1876, birth record #191
3. Giuseppe, born 1 Jun 1879, birth record #114(?)
4. Vita, born 24 Jan 1882, birth record #42
5. Antonino, born 25 Dec 1884, birth record #418
6. Rosa, born 28 Jan 1892, birth record #116 [that number seems too high]
7. Providenza, born 1 Nov 1895, birth record #301

It's kind of odd that they bothered to list the 1st Giuseppe, who probably died before the 2nd Giuseppe was born.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I knew it was something important, just wasn't sure what, I can pretty much read all the dates now and I understand Fu for dead, and the word unmarried.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie »

I am a new member and I am interesting in corresponding with the person who originally posted this. Salvatore and Carmela are my great-great grandparents.